Bundle Breakdown: Enough with winter, we're going to Hawaii
We just got word about a new “Discover Oahu Package” from the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, a property that made it onto our list of the best hotels in Oahu thanks to a spectacular beachfront location and great views of the ocean from the color-splashed rooms. But does the three-night bundle, which includes accommodations, tours of some of the island’s most important attractions, and a pre-packed picnic lunch, really “take the stress out of planning an adventure-filled vacation for two, while also saving valuable time and money?” Let’s take a closer look at the details.
- Three nights of ocean view accommodations
- Breakfast on the beach daily
- Arizona Memorial, Pearl Harbor, and city tour for two
- Polynesian Cultural Center's Alii Luau Package for two, which includes round-trip transportation, admission, luau dinner, and preferred seating for "Horizons,” the center’s evening show
- Commemorative Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel picnic backpack, packed with lunch
The whole package starts at $782 per couple. But booking through the hotel’s website, ocean-view rooms are selling for $148 or $175 a night, with the lower price available if you book by January 31. With taxes, and at the higher rate, the room alone works out to about $600. Is the rest of that stuff worth $182?
It sure is – at least if you’re planning to check out the Polynesian Cultural Center’s Alii Luau. Tickets for two to the evening event, including transportation, run $225 including tax, meaning you’ll save $43 booking this package instead of buying a room and show tickets separately. A tour around Pearl Harbor with Roberts Hawaii, which normally costs $54 per couple, and a free picnic lunch add even more value.
This package, it turns out, is indeed a deal, saving guests who book it more than 100 bucks. Us? We’d put it toward another day in Hawaii – tacking another night onto the bundle costs just $148.