Oyster's Fact or Fakeout: Obama and Clinton in Los Cabos, "Sticky Fingers" Amnesty Hotel Program, and More!
The pool at the Esperanza Resort; Los Cabos, Mexico
1. FACT OR FAKEOUT? President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton skipped a G-20 Summit meeting held in Los Cabos recently claiming a “tight agenda,” only to be caught sunbathing by the pool at the Esperanza Resort, margarita in hand.
2. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The Waldorf Astoria in New York City is looking to recover some of the hotel’s items that have disappeared throughout the years, and thus has launched a "no questions asked" amnesty program to encourage guests to return items they may have snatched in the past.
3. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The iconic Queen Elizabeth 2 cruise liner will be turned into a floating hotel docked in Port Rashid, Dubai.
4. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The Standard New York just opened a seasonal café serving up fresh produce grown in the hotel's rooftop garden.
5. FACT OR FAKEOUT? Some hotels currently offering free Wi-Fi are considering charging guests a daily fee for it from now on.
1. FAKEOUT! Obama and Clinton attended all scheduled meetings, and they probably didn’t have time for more than a stroll through the property’s manicured grounds.
2. FACT! The staff will select the best items returned and display them in the lobby museum. The program runs through September 15, 2012.
3. FACT! According to the company that owns the QE2, the 300-room hotel will open in 18 months, and will feature many of the liner's original furnishings.
4. FAKEOUT! The Standard Plaza, as the seasonal café is known, does features fresh local produce, but it's grown by hotelier Andre Balazs at his upstate New York farm.
5. FACT! Even though free Internet access is among the top demands made by guests, chains such as the Wyndham Hotel Group are “exploring options that allow for hybrid or tiered service models." Bonkers.