Oyster's Fact or Fakeout: $60,000 New Year's Eve Packages, Bikes That Double as iPhone Chargers, and More!
Courtyard at The Greenwich Hotel; New York, NY
1. FACT OR FAKEOUT? Robert De Niro, The Greenwhich Hotel’s co-owner, had Russell Crowe arrested after the actor spent several nights in the hotel’s courtyard singing with some friends till the wee hours.
2. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas is offering a $60,000 New Year’s Eve package that includes three nights in the hotel’s Presidential Suite and a couple’s treatment to detox after the NYE revelry.
3. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The Peninsula Chicago has unveiled plans to open a 1,200-square-foot ice rink on the hotel rooftop on Friday, December 21st. Admission will be donation-based and proceeds will go to charity.
4. FACT OR FAKEOUT? Starwood just announced plans to open a 36-story, Petra-inspired W Hotel in Costa Rica in 2016.
5. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The Element New York Times Square West is now offering free loaner bikes that double as iPhone chargers. All Element hotels will also feature the offer soon.
Check out the answers after the jump!
1. FAKEOUT! Crowe did spend some time singing in the courtyard accompanied by friends and a guitar, but while De Niro reportedly didn’t seem happy about it, the police were never called.
2. FACT! The package also includes a six-course dinner prepared by renowned Chef Pierre Gagnaire, a bottle of champagne and brunch at MOzen.
3. FACT! The ice rink will only be open to hotel, spa and dinner guests, however. 100% of the proceeds will go to support the Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago and Hephzibah Children's Home.
4. FAKEOUT! The Petra-inspired hotel will be built in Amman and will share the space with offices and high-end boutiques.
5. FAKEOUT! Element hotels do offer iPhone-charging bikes, but they’re stationary. The initiative started at the hotel in Miami, and now all Element properties feature them in the fitness center.