Oyster's Fact or Fakeout: Exclusive In-Room Champagne Apps, Dirt-Cheap Suites, and More!
The Oriental Suite at the Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong, China
1. FACT OR FAKEOUT? When the Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong first opened in 1963, it was the tallest building on the island.
2. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The Greta Garbo Suite, unveiled recently at the Radisson Blu Strand Hotel Stockholm on the occasion of the hotel’s 100th anniversary, displays memorabilia from the Greta Garbo Museum in Hogsby.
3. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills offers in-room iPads with an app that allows guests to order a bottle of champagne to their room with just one click.
4. FACT OR FAKEOUT? Hotel Indigo London – Paddington is now offering a package that includes free breakfast and a cocktail prepared using regionally-sourced ingredients.
5. FACT OR FAKEOUT? The US Grant -- a Luxury Collection Hotel recently offered suites for just $1.02 in celebration of its 102th birthday.
Check out the answers after the jump!
1. FACT! It was not only the tallest building -- with 26 floors -- but also the first hotel in Asia to have direct-dial telephones and bathtubs in every room.
2. FACT! Not only is the décor inspired by Garbo’s style sense, but the room also features a dress and several pieces of art that once belonged to the actress and that have been donated to the hotel.
3. FAKEOUT! It’s the glittery SLS South Beach that offers the “Bring Me Bubbles” app, not its sister property in Beverly Hills. The price of a bottle ranges from $50 to hundreds of dollars, and the hotel promises to have it delivered to the room within 20 minutes.
4. FACT! But it’s not only at the London-Paddington hotel that the “It’s Not All Business” package is offered, but at all other Indigo properties as well. It was designed specifically for those who don’t have time to explore the local eateries while in town.
5. FACT! Anyone who booked one of the hotel’s gorgeous suites before year’s end got every second night booked for the rate of $1.02. The cheapest suite starts at an average of $315 per night.