Captain's House InnChatham, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Classic and elegant rooms with fireplaces and soaking tubs
- Free gourmet country breakfast, afternoon tea, and evening snacks
- Heated outdoor pool with plush chairs and poolside lunch service
- Well-equipped fitness center overlooking the pool
- Modern amenities include flat-screen TVs and iPod docks
- No children under the age of 10 allowed at the inn
- Open year-round and free Wi-Fi
- Not on the waterfront (quiet, residential location)
- Minimum stay generally required
- Some complaints of noise in this historic inn
- Some rooms have CD players rather than iPod docks
Oyster Hotel PhotosView All 7 Albums
Oyster Hotel Review
A charming, historic inn with modern features
The Captain's House Inn has a rich history. Originally built in 1839 as a home for Sea Captain Hiram Harding, the inn has retained much of its character and architecture from the 19th century. Rooms are split between the hotel's four distinct sections: The Greek-Revial style Main House; the Captain's Cottage; the Cairrage House; and the Stables.
The inn is set on two acres of land, and perks include an outdoor heated swimming pool and a well-equipped fitness room. Inside, it has been updated with modern amenities, including free Wi-Fi and flat-screen TVs.
Although the inn is decorated with plenty of interesting antiques, the atmosphere isn't stuffy or formal. The friendly staff keeps things casual and laid-back, especially during a leisurely gourmet country breakfast or English cream tea in the afternoon. During pleasant weather, the lovely patio is another peaceful spot to relax. Guests that need help relaxing will find a library full of books and DVDs to borrow.
In a quiet neighborhood walking distance to the beach and Main Street
Captain's House Inn isn't located on the waterfront, but it is in a quaint, residential area close to the action. Chatham Harbor beaches and Main Street are both within walking distance of the inn, and the historic Chatham Lighthouse is only one mile away.
While some Cape Cod towns have become more commercialized over the years, Chatham has retained that small town feel. Main Street is full of shops, galleries, restaurants, and weekly summer concerts at the Kate Gould Park. Chatham is surrounded on three sides by water and there are plenty of beautiful beaches to enjoy. Fresh seafood is another highlight of visiting the Cape.
Located right in the elbow of Cape Cod, Chatham is a perfect jumping off point for day trips too.
- 2-hour drive from Logan International Airport in Boston
- 10-minute walk or 2-minute drive to the Fish Pier and Chatham Harbor beaches
- 20-minute walk to Main Street, where you will find shops, galleries, and restaurants
- 35-minute drive to Wellfleet
- 1-hour drive to Provincetown
English country decor with antiques and memorably soft sheets
Each of the 16 rooms in Captain's House Inn has a different look and feel. The elegant, English country decor includes antique furnishings, floral prints, and lots of wood. Some rooms are light and bright while others have richer colors. Rooms are spread throughout four different buildings: the Main House, the Carriage House, the Stables, and the Captain's Cottage. The Garden Room may be the smallest on the property, but it offers some of the best features, including a two-person shower, private patio, and gas-fired pot bellied stove fireplace.
- Free Wi-Fi
- Flat-screen TVs with DVD players
- Welcome basket with bottled water, juice, and snacks
- Turndown service
- H2O bath products
- Some iPod docks and some CD alarm clocks
- Mini-fridges in most rooms
- Laundry services available for a fee
- Some rooms have patios, decks, or fireplaces (gas or wood-burning)
- Rooms have showers, soaking tubs, whirlpool tubs, or showers for two.
Gourmet breakfast, an outdoor heated pool, and sunny fitness center
While the Captain's House Inn doesn't have a waterfront location, it does offer many other features. A gourmet country breakfast is served every morning from eight to 10 a.m. in this historic bed and breakfast, and afternoon tea and evening snacks are served as well. There is also an outdoor heated pool and sunny fitness center, along with cozy common spaces for relaxing outside of the room. During warm weather, Adirondack chairs on the lawn are another great feature.
- Free gourmet country breakfast served daily
- Free Wi-Fi
- Heated outdoor pool with poolside lunch service
- Free afternoon tea
- Free evening snacks
- Free port and sherry available in the library
- Sunny fitness center overlooking the pool area
- Beach chairs, towels, and coolers available for guest use
- Massage services from Sol Spa available in-room, space permitting
Customers Who Viewed Captain's House Inn Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
When you're in the mood for love but only have a few days to spare, a weekend getaway -- in…
When the weather gets warm, the daydreaming begins. Lush hideaways. Hidden cottages. Your own secret garden come to life. These…
Reviewing hotels is part of my job, and I've had plenty of bad hotel breakfasts on my travels: runny eggs…
Winter's cold temperatures take a toll on us all -- and what else would we do but recommend taking a…
Things You Should Know About Captain's House Inn
Address369 Old Harbor Road, Chatham 02633, United States
- Cape lady
- Captain Hiram Harding
- Clarissa Suite
- Eliza Jane Suite
- Garden Room
- Hannah Rebekah
- Hideaway Suite
- Lady Hope
- Lady Mariah Room
- Lydia Harding Suite
- Wild Hunter
- Wild Pigeon