Oyster Hotel Photos
View All 7 Albums
Oyster Hotel Review
More like a sprawling hacienda than a chain hotel
Los Suenos Marriott is not your typical Marriott. Although the comfortable rooms (some with great ocean views) have somewhat of a chain-like feel, the rest of the hotel does not. An exterior of pink stucco, interiors adorned with tile, wood and stone, dramatic columns in the lobby, and ironwork details make the hotel feel more like a gorgeous colonial Spanish estate than a Marriott.
On the grounds, though, guests will find all the features of a megaresort: an elaborate pool complex (at least by Costa Rica standards), an 18-hole golf course, and a beach -- albeit a rocky one. There's a reason the hotel name says "ocean resort" and not "beach resort;" guests who want some time on the sand will be much better off heading to the nearby Playa Jaco.
Los Suenos is located on Playa Herradura, a rocky but calm beach on Costa Rica's Pacific Coast. Active travelers will appreciate the region's hiking, zip-lining and canopy tours, horseback riding, rafting and deep sea fishing, while beach-lovers can explore nearby beaches, including the party beach Playa Jaco, and the popular surfer beach Playa Hermosa.
- Located on Playa Herradura, a rocky beach with calm waters
- 15-minute drive to Jaco, a party-friendly beach town
- 30-minute drive to Playa Hermosa, a white-sand beach that's popular with surfers
- 1-hour drive to Manuel Antonio National Park, home to some of the country's best beaches, an evergreen forest, and diverse wildlife (including monkeys, sloths, tucans, and iguanas)
- 75-minute drive to Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO)
- 2-hour drive to La Fortuna, home to Arenal Volcano and natural hot springs
- 2.5-hour drive to Liberia Airport
Comfortable and spacious, but lacking the Spanish colonial charm featured in the resort's public spaces
Deluxe Ocean View Room
There are some Spanish-inspired details in the rooms -- the tile floors, the use of dark wood -- but the furniture and bedding still look mostly chain-like.
- The Mountain View and Ocean View Rooms are both spacious (387 square feet) and identical except for the view. The floor-to-ceiling glass doors open, but there are no real balconies (just balcony railings).
- The Premium Deluxe Ocean View Room has a little more space, a central location on a higher floor (meaning better ocean views), and a furnished balcony.
- Bathrooms are spacious, with marble countertops and Paul Mitchell products -- but only one sink.
- 29-inch flat-screen TVs come with 120 channels, including HBO
- Cuisinart coffee/tea makers with free coffee and tea
The golf course
- Sibo Rainforst Spa & Retreat features treatment rooms, steam rooms, a Jacuzzi, a coed relaxation lounge, and a metamorphosis theme.
- 18-hole La Iguana Golf Course with driving range and putting green, designed by Ted Robinson
- Large free-form pool complex with connecting pools and bridges
- Marina with 200 wet slips and 100 dry slips
- Tortuga Kids Club, with activities like puppet and balloon making for kids 4 to 12
- 24-hour fitness center with free fitness classes
- Stellaris Casino with tables and slot machines
- Tennis, volleyball, and mini-golf on site
- Hiking, jogging trail, and nature trail on site
- View Full List of Amenities
A swim-up bar, Latin American restaurant, coffee shop, and more
- La Vista Restaurant: Costa Rican and international cuisine; open daily 6 a.m. to noon and 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Nuevo Latino: Latin American and international cuisine; open Tuesday through Sunday 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Arrecife Pool Bar & Grill: Casual fare, such as sandwiches; swim-up bar, open daily 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Casa del Café: Coffee shop, pastries, sandwiches, coffee, and alcoholic drinks, open daily 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (closes at 10 p.m. on weekends)
- Hoyo 19: International cuisine; overlooks the golf course; open daily 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Puesta del Sol: Lounge; open daily noon to midnight
The Marriott Los Suenos is one of Costa Rica's few large-scale resorts, with 201 comfortable rooms, an 18-hole golf course, a big pool complex, full-service spa, six restaurants, and beautiful Spanish colonial architecture. But the on-site beach is extremely rocky, so you may want to take a taxi to one of the other nearby beaches instead.
Things You Should Know About Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
- 800 Meters West From Herredura Entrance, Los Suenos, Herradura, CR
- Garden View Guest Room
- Guest Room
- Oceanfront Guestroom, Central Building, High Floor
- Ocean View Guest Room
- Ocean View One Bedroom Suite
- Ocean View Presidential Suite
- Partial Ocean View Corner Room