Oyster Hotel Photos
View All 6 Albums
Customers Who Viewed DoubleTree by Hilton New York - Times Square South Also Viewed
Oyster Hotel Review
On a less-populated block eight blocks south and west of Times Square, about a five- to 10-minute walk from the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center
The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York - Times Square South is significantly outside the flashing ad space in Times Square, on a dull, but not unsafe, block just north of Penn Station and the Greyhound bus depot. It's a bit farther from the more desirable parts of Midtown West; the hip restaurants and gay bars in Hell's Kitchen are about 10 blocks north, and the tourist must-sees like Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, and 5th Avenue department stores are all a very long walk, or a 25-minute subway ride, away.
- Three blocks from the A, C, E subway lines; four blocks from the 1, 2, 3, 7, N, Q, R, S, subway lines; six blocks from the B, D, F, M subway lines
- 20-minute subway ride to Central Park
- 10-minute walk to Times Square
- 15-minute walk to the Empire State Building
- 30-minute subway ride to the ferry terminal to visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
- 25-minute subway ride to Rockefeller Center
- 25-minute subway ride to the American Museum of Natural History
- 40-minute subway ride or $11 taxi to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (the "Met") and 20-minute subway ride to the Museum of Modern Art (the "MoMA")
Bright, comfortable rooms; upgrades come with lots of near-luxury perks
Queen ADA clear air room
- Standard rooms have either a queen- or king-size bed (strangely, often for the same price); each is about the average size of a New York hotel room in this price range
- Concierge-level guest rooms -- which are basically the same as the standard rooms -- also have added perks, like a free cocktail, free breakfast, an evening turndown, bathrobes, larger desks, a humidifier, plus a gift box of nuts and candy.
- PURE Allergy-Friendly Rooms available: air purification; specially treated surfaces; mattress and pillow encasements to eliminate dust and allergens
- 32-inch flat-screen TV with free HBO and pay-per-view movies
- Single-cup coffeemaker
- Large, electronic safe
- Great beds: Serta Presidential Pillowtop Mattress; 100-percent cotton bedding
- Alarm clock with an iPod hookup
- Herman Miller desk chair
- Cordless speakerphone
- Bath prodcuts from Bath and Body Works
- Wi-Fi for a fee
- "Rooms with a View" offer a look at either the Empire State Building or the New York Skyline
- Handicap-accessible rooms available
- Nonsmoking rooms
About 30 to 90 minutes from three airports
New York has three nearby airports: JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark (in New Jersey). Getting to town from JFK or LaGuardia is usually more convenient than getting there from Newark, but travel times are heavily dependent on the time of day and traffic conditions. From JFK, a taxi to anywhere in Manhattan costs a flat rate of $45 and takes around an hour in average conditions. From LaGuardia, a metered cab ride to midtown Manhattan costs about $40 and can take 30 minutes if traffic is light, three times that if it's bad. Rides from Newark cost at least $40 (plus tolls) and can take more than 90 minutes. It's customary to tip your driver 15 to 25 percent.
Those looking to save some cash can use the privately run shuttle buses that are available at all three airports for about $14 per person. For more information on the shuttles, go to Super Shuttle or New York Airport Service. Public transit is also available for as little as $7 per person, but travel can take up to two hours and involve a lot of lugging bags up and down stairways.
For mass-transit directions right to the hotel, check out HopStop.com.
Located a bit outside the tourist zone in an off-beat area near Penn Station and the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, this 220-room Doubletree is a much better option for conventioneers than the Best Western Convention Center but it's not an ideal choice for leisure travelers -- there are comparable hotels closer to more attractions.
Things You Should Know About DoubleTree by Hilton New York - Times Square South
- 341 West 36th Street, New York City, New York 10018, United States
Hotel is Also (or Was Formerly) Known As
- Wyndham Garden Hotel
- Wyndham New York City
- Clean Air Doubles Room
- ClearAir Room
- Concierge Doubles Room
- Concierge Room
- Deluxe Doubles Room
- Deluxe Room
- Premium Room