Hampton Inn Manhattan/United NationsNew York City, New York, United States
- Great location blocks from the United Nations, Grand Central Terminal, and the Chrysler Building
- Spacious rooms with large, comfortable beds and flat-screen TVs
- Free Wi-Fi and daily hot breakfast
- Free coffee and tea available throughout the day in the lobby
- Well-equipped fitness center with cardio and weight machines as well as free weights
- 24-hour business center
- No on-site restaurant or bar
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
This modern Hampton Inn boasts a great Midtown East location and solid, but basic, amenities.
This Hampton Inn is a modern, serviceable chain hotel that was built from scratch in 2013. Business travelers may appreciate the hotel's proximity to the United Nations and Midtown's many corporate offices, while leisure travelers will likely enjoy the hotel's proximity to sights such as Grand Central, the Chrysler Building, and the New York Public Library.
Rooms here are spacious (by New York standards), and feature large beds and flat-screen TVs. As part of a Hampton Inn promise, guests are notified that their rooms have been freshly cleaned upon arrival with a Post-It note, a casual way of reassuring visitors. It's a nice touch. Bathrooms are small but well-maintained and have shower/tub combos.
The free breakfast is surprisingly good, with a make-your-own waffle station and various other hot options. Coffee and tea are also available for free throughout the day, but there is no full on-site restaurant. The business and fitness centers are well-equipped, but they are located in the basement and lack windows.
You'll see more suits and less shopping on the easternmost edge of Midtown East, but the hotel is a short walk from the U.N. headquarters and Grand Central.
Between 30 and 40 consulates are located within a three-block radius of the hotel, as well as many United Nations mission organizations -- the UN itself is just two blocks away. The Permanent Mission of India is located next door to the Hampton Inn, and the Mauritius Mission is across the street.
The hotel is located on the easternmost outskirts of Midtown East. The sidewalks in the neighborhood are packed with office workers during the day, but everyone clears out once the consulates, embassies, and UN offices shut down for the night. The advantage is that it's really quiet in the evenings, and very safe, but unlike in Midtown West or downtown Manhattan, there's no nightlife.
Still, leisure travelers will likely find the location convenient for sightseeing. The Hampton Inn is just one block up from 42nd Street, probably the most famous east-west road in Manhattan. The hotel is also three blocks from Grand Central and just over a block from the Chrysler Building. Some other attractions, including the New York Public Library and Bryant Park, are within walking distance, and popular sights and restaurants in Midtown West are a quick subway ride away.
- 20-minute drive to LaGuardia Airport
- 30-minute drive to John F. Kennedy Airport
- 40-minute drive to Newark Airport
- 5-minute walk to the Chrysler Building
- 4-minute walk to the United Nations Headquarters
- 7-minute walk to Grand Central and 5 subway lines
- 15-minute walk to Bryant Park and the New York Public Library
- 20-minute walk to Times Square
- 17-minute walk to Rockefeller Center
- 15-minute walk to St. Patrick’s Cathedral
- 20-minute subway ride to Central Park
- 20-minute subway ride to SoHo
- 17-minute subway ride to Lincoln Center
- 25-minute subway ride to the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- 25-minute subway ride to the Natural History Musuem