Sheraton Gunter Hotel San AntonioDowntown/Riverwalk, San Antonio, Texas
- Downtown location close to the River Walk and historical sites
- Located in a historic, charming building
- Quiet rooms and public areas, despite being near River Walk
- Ballroom and conference room can accommodate 500 people for business or weddings
- Decent restaurant and bar on-site; great restaurants nearby
- (Smallish) outdoor pool
- Solid fitness center
- Wedding specialist on-site
- Expensive valet parking only
- Some rooms much smaller than others, due to the property’s early 20th century construction
- Fee for in-room Wi-Fi
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
A charming historic building that feels elegant and modern at the same time
The Sheraton Gunter Hotel dates back to 1909, and has managed to retain its historic charm while benefiting from some modern updates. It's a well-regarded gem among history buffs and those preferring hotels with character.
The lobby oozes old time elegance, with large chandeliers and plenty of room to lounge. An old telephone switchboard and barber shop on the floor below complete the old-time feel.
While more than a century old, the Sheraton Gunter has been well-maintained and still manages to feel relevant, comfortable and clean.
In the heart of downtown San Antonio, close to the River Walk, the Alamo, and lots of shopping and dining
From the hotel, you can walk to any of a number of area attractions, including the Alamo (four blocks away), La Villita, the Riverwalk, and Tower of the Americas.
Worthy of mention is the fact that the hotel’s street address will not lead you to the main entrance for valet parking and bellhops. That is actually on the other side of the building and you will need to circle around a few blocks to an entrance on its northwest corner.
San Antonio is a cultural city, with Latin communities and outdoor markets in La Villita, the oldest neighborhood in San Antonio. During the summer, festivals are held almost every week and flamenco dancers often perform. To escape the oppressive summer heat, the young and hip cool down with margaritas on River Walk, a winding street lined with restaurants and bars, while families opt to visit theme parks such as Splash Town and Six Flags. San Antonio is particularly kid-friendly, with numerous amusement parks, bike paths, HemisFair Park (park and convention center complete with gardens and playgrounds), and a zoo.
- 13-minute drive to San Antonio International Airport
- 5-minute walk to the Riverwalk
- 10-minute walk to the Alamo
- 10-minute walk to Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center
- 15-minute walk to Tower of the Americas
- 15-minute walk to La Villita park
- 5-minute drive to the Alamodome
- 6-minute drive to the King William Historical District
The rooms are comfortable and pleasant, though there are some variations in standard room sizing.
The rooms have been upgraded in recent years, and it’s refreshing to see attractive, tan-colored wallpaper in lieu of the peeling paint found in some other historic hotels. They have high ceilings, which makes them feel larger than they are, and most bathrooms have a window that lets in natural light.
One note: The rooms vary greatly in size because of the historic nature of the building.
- Small outdoor pool overlooking the city
- Good fitness center with cardio machines, a few weight machines, and some free weights
- Small business center in lobby; but charges a fee for services
- Several meeting spaces, including a banquet hall
- Expensive valet parking
- Old-fashioned barber shop
- View Full List of Amenities
A full-service restaurant, quaint pub, and handy bakery -- plus lots of good restaurants you can walk to
- Barron’s is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and has a popular lunchtime pasta/salad bar.
- McLeod Bar is a Victorian-style pub open in the evenings and serving hot appetizers.
- Gunter Bakery offers a wide selection of treats in addition to Starbucks coffee.
- Room service until late evening
- Several good restaurants are all within walking distance.
Customers Who Viewed Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio Also Viewed
Things You Should Know About Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio
Address205 East Houston Street, San Antonio, Texas 78205, United States
- Club Room
- Deluxe Room
- Traditional Room