The Menger HotelDowntown/Riverwalk, San Antonio, Texas
- Walls, particularly in the original building, are thin
- Additional fees for use of business center, refrigerator use, and more
- Fee-based valet parking only
Oyster Hotel Photos
- 42 Alamo Suite
- 10 Amenities
- 16 Pool
- 12 Restaurants and Bars
- 23 Standard King Room
- 27 Standard Two Double Beds Room
Oyster Hotel Review
This charming historic hotel has housed many famous guests
You may feel like you’re walking on to the set of a period movie the first time you arrive in the lobby of the Menger. The property dates back to 1859, though subsequent room additions have been made in 1949, 1966-67 and 1989. The lobby is wonderfully antique, with cool old pianos, elegant columns and chandeliers. Unlike some of the other San Antonio historic properties, it tends to feel bright and cheery on account of the white walls and light colors used for interior features. There are numerous historical artifacts on display in the lobby in glass cases.
It’s said that the old hotel is haunted, and the General Manager is usually happy to pull out a file and show you photographs of the hotel grounds where something strange seems to have been caught on film.
Speaking of spirits, the hotel also features a wonderfully old wooden lobby bar. Other nice extras include an outdoor pool fitted with Astroturf and a pretty garden graced by a gurgling fountain.
Distinguished guests include Teddy Roosevelt, Mae West and Babe Ruth. It is the longest continuously operating hotel west of the Mississippi.
A stone's throw from the Alamo, close to just about everything
The Menger Hotel’s downtown location allows you to be close to the action. You won’t need a car to explore any of the numerous historical and tourist attractions, shopping, and nightlife found in downtown San Antonio. Plus, it's right next to the Alamo (your room may have a great view of it) and the River Walk.
San Antonio offers lots of activities for families, with the San Antonio Zoo, Sea World of Texas, dude ranches, and water parks If golf is your thing, you can pick from more than 25 area golf courses (there is one just four miles from the hotel).
- 15-minute drive to San Antonio International Airport
- 1-minute walk to the Alamo
- 5-minute walk to the River Walk
- 5-minute walk to Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center
- 10-minute walk to Tower of the Americas
- 10-minute walk to La Villita park
- 5-minute drive to the Alamodome
- 7-minute drive to the King William Historical District
The rooms, featuring traditional decor, are nothing special -- but some have amazing views of the Alamo.
Due to the age of the property, the rooms here vary greatly in size. Don't expect any to be huge, though -- they're not that big, though the high ceilings make them feel larger than they are. The decor is traditional and classic, though not too inspiring. Some rooms have terrific views of the Alamo, and you can also pay more to get a room with a balcony.
They're missing some modern features, such as flat-screen TVs and iPod docks. And you only get a mini-fridge if you pay extra.
- Decent rooms with high ceilings, vary greatly in size
- Some rooms have Alamo views; several face the pool
- Small bathrooms
- Tube TVs
- Coffeemaker with free coffee and tea
- Mini-fridges only by request and for a fee
Extras aren't plentiful here, but the pool is decent, if unexceptional
The Menger Bar is worth a visit for its unique historic design.
- The Colonial Room is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and has a popular noontime brunch.
- The charming Menger Bar is an exact replica of London’s House of Lord’s Pub, where Teddy Roosevelt recruited his Rough Riders.
- Pub grub, including burgers, sandwiches and appetizers served in Menger Bar
- Room service until late evening
- Several good restaurants are all within walking distance.
Customers Who Viewed The Menger Hotel Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
This coming Monday is Presidents' Day, a holiday rightfully honoring the tireless work of U.S. presidents, past and present. (And…
Things You Should Know About The Menger Hotel
Address204 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio, Texas 78205, United States
- Standard Double
- Standard King
- Standard Single