Marina District, San Diego Travel Guide
Marina District Summary
- Great weather (average daily temperature is 70 degrees)
- Great views of the bay
- Near the historic Gaslamp Quarter
- Within walking distance of the USS Midway Museum
- Close to the San Diego Trolley and the Convention Center
- 10-minute drive to San Diego International Airport
- Difficult to park on the weekend
- Noise from the train running along Harbor Drive
- Far from some of the top tourist sites -- like Balboa Park
- The immediate neighborhood is a little dull
What It's Like
The Marina is a quiet and laid-back neighborhood right on San Diego Bay. The main attractions of the area are the Embarcadero, the USS Midway, the Maritime Museum, and Seaport Village, a huge shopping center with dozens of stores and chain restaurants. It's close to the Convention Center and within walking distance of the historic Gaslamp Quarter, so it's a convenient location both for business and leisure travelers. Most of the major tourist sites are a short drive away, so plan to have a car to move around. But beware that it gets really busy on the weekends, and finding a parking spot in some areas might be hard.
Where To Stay
There aren't as many hotel options as in the neighboring Gaslamp Quarter or Petco Park area, but many hotels in this neighborhood have great views of the bay -- especialy properties closer to the Embarcadero.