This hotel has undergone significant renovations since our visit.
We will update our photos and review as soon as we can.
Oyster Hotel Photos
View All 6 Albums
Oyster Hotel Review
Located in historic and lively Little Italy, close to the waterfront and minutes from Balboa Park
The Porto Vista is located in the hilly Little Italy neighborhood and off of highway I-5, making for easy access from the airport and to many of the city’s attractions. However, few of San Diego's popular sites are within walking distance, and many visitors prefer a hipper location in the Gaslamp Quarter.
- 7-minute drive to San Diego International Airport
- 9-minute walk to Coaster Santa Fe station
- 13-minute walk to the Museum of Contemporary Art
- 20-minute walk or 5-minute drive to the Gaslamp Quarter
- 5-minute drive to Balboa Park
- 6-minute drive to San Diego Convention Center
- 9-minute drive to the San Diego Zoo
- 10-minute drive to Riverwalk Golf Club
- 11-minute drive to Old Town San Diego
- 11-minute drive to SeaWorld San Diego
- 12-minute drive to Coronado Island
- 15-minute drive to Mission Beach
- 20-minute drive to Stephen Birch Aquarium
- 22-minute drive to La Jolla
Despite the trendy decor, rooms are basic, with tube TVs and exterior entrances
Deluxe Double Queen
Rooms were renovated in 2008 and most (all but 50) feature retro floor-to-ceiling photo murals. But despite the trendy veneer, the rooms are pretty basic, with bland furniture, tube TVs, and exterior, motel-style entrances. Cozy Queen rooms are tiny, so it's worth upgrading to one of the larger rooms, some of which have microwaves and balconies with bay views.
- Retro floor-to-ceiling photo murals (in most)
- Comfortable beds with pillow-top mattresses
- 27-inch tube TV with limited channels (except in suites)
- Decent-sized bathrooms with shower/tub combo (except in the suites) and Bath and Body Works toiletries
- Coffeemaker and tea service
- CD player with MP3 hookup
- Some Double Queen Rooms have a microwave and wet bar, and/or higher-end terrazzo- or marble-tile bathrooms
- King rooms have wet bars and microwaves, and some have balconies with harbor or city views
- Upgrading to a suite gets you a pull-out sofa, 32-inch flat-screen TV, microwave and wet bar, balcony with bay views, and a marble bathroom (some with a soaking tub and separate shower).
- Evolve Salon and Spa offers hair services, waxing, and facials
- 24-hour fitness room with cardio machines and strength training machines
- Free rooftop yoga classes Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday (hours vary)
- Shuttle service to and from the airport for a fee
- Pets are allowed for a daily fee; no weight limit
- Valet parking for a daily fee
An upscale American restaurant with great bay views that's popular among locals
- The Glass Door, located on the fourth floor, has great views of the bay, an outdoor terrace, an upscale American menu with local, seasonal ingredients, and a weekend brunch.
- Guests get free breakfast at The Glass Door
- No room service
This 189-room hotel in downtown San Diego is a good value, with an airport shuttle, great bay views from the restaurant, and some cool freebies -- including free breakfast, free yoga classes, and free Wi-Fi. But despite the veneer of trendy decor, this is a no-frills property: Rooms have tube TVs and motel-style, exterior entrances, and the hotel's location in Little Italy, right off the freeway, isn't ideal for exploring Downtown San Diego on foot. Still, it's a solid pick for the price.
This Hotel Also Featured In
Things You Should Know About Porto Vista Hotel
- 1835 COLUMBIA STREET, SAN DIEGO, CA 92101
- Business Class King
- Cozy Queen Bed Room
- Deluxe 2 Queen Bed
- Deluxe King with Balcony
- Harbor View One Bedroom Suite
- Junior Suite
- Premium One Bedroom Suite
- Standard Two Queen Bed Room