Oyster Hotel Photos
View All 8 Albums
Oyster Hotel Review
Old-world elegance meets modern luxury
The Grand Del Mar is indeed grand, with Spanish-Colonial-style architecture, marble columns in the lobby, fireplaces, and wood accents. But touches like free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, and free car service in an Escalade or Mercedes ensure that guests will get a thoroughly modern luxury experience.
Although the decor is undeniably romantic, there's plenty for families to do too. The hotel features a teen center, a kids club, an Equestrian Center, tennis courts with free racquet rentals, and golf lessons.
Near Del Mar and La Jolla
The resort is located in Carmel Valley (not to be confused with the northern California community), near Del Mar and La Jolla. It's a 15-minute drive to the beach, and a 20-minute drive to Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve, known for beautiful canyons, waterfalls, sycamore trees, oak trees, and a variety of animal species native to the area. The resort's house car will take guests anywhere in a 14-mile radius, including Torrey Pines State Park, Torrey Pines State Beach, Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve, Del Mar, and some parts of La Jolla.
- 15-minute drive Torrey Pines State Park and the Torrey Pines State Beach
- 15-minute drive to Del Mar Village and Del Mar Beach
- 20-minute drive to Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve
- 25-minute drive to La Jolla
- 25-minute drive to Downtown San Diego
- 25-minute drive to San Diego International Airport
All rooms include:
- Marble bathroom with 13-inch TV, walk-in shower and separate soaking tub, and gold detailing
- 40-inch TV with 30 channels including HBO
- Pillow-top bed with Pratesi linens and goose-down pillows
- Wet bar and stocked minibar
- Safe large enough for a laptop
- Balcony or terrace
- King or two queen beds
- Guestroom: 550 square feet; view of golf course or pool
- Prado Suite: 1,000 square feet; separate bedroom; two bathrooms
- Veranda Suite: 1,100 square feet; fireplace; dining room for six; kitchenette; sleeper sofa; golf course views
- Palazzo Suite: 1,500 square feet; one, two, or three bedrooms available; fireplace; dining room for eight; kitchenette; sleeper sofa
- Mizner Suite: 2,840 square feet; two bedrooms; terrace with fireplace; study; butler's pantry; 2.5 bathrooms
- Manchester Suite: 2,840 square feet; top floor; study; patio with fireplace; butler's pantry; two bedrooms; 2.5 bathrooms
- Brisa Villa: 4,500 square feet; two bedrooms with sitting areas; wood floors and decorative antiques; kitchen with Sub-Zero appliances; media room with Sony appliances; office space; terrace and patio; Jacuzzi; all confined by privacy walls; laundry room with Whirlpool appliances; personal elevator; attached garage for cars and golf carts; baby grand piano; wine cellar
The Equestrian Center
- Free Wi-Fi
- Free off-site parking and or valet parking, for a fee
- Free roundtrip shuttle to the Del Mar Beach based on availability (it's best to reserve at least 24 hours in advance)
- 18-hole Grand Golf Club course designed by Tom Fazio, winner of many design awards; golf lessons available
- Four heated pools with a poolside bar and underwater music
- 24-hour fitness center and fitness classes available
- 24-hour front desk staff
- Concierge available daily
- Two tennis courts with free racquet rentals and lessons available
- 24-hour business center with computer access, printers, and scanners
- Mercedes, Escalade, and van house cars will take guests anywhere in a 14-mile radius when available during daytime hours
- The Spa at The Grand Del Mar, one of top spas in the country, has 11 treatments rooms and is open seasonally
- Equestrian Center offers riding lessons, trail rides, and day camps; open seasonally
- Kids club
- Teen center
A variety of dining options, including one of the top restaurants in California
- Addison: Award-winning French cuisine from renowned chef William Bradley; wine room; open for dinner Tuesday to Saturday 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Amaya: American and Mediterranean cuisine; open for breakfast daily 6:30 a.m. to 11 a.m., lunch Monday to Saturday 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., brunch Sunday 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Intermezzo daily 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., and dinner daily 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Club M: Restaurant, nightclub, and sports bar; open Sunday to Wednesday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Thursday 7 a.m. to midnight, and Friday to Saturday 7 a.m. to 1:30 a.m.
- Lobby Lounge: Light cuisine and drinks, including afternoon tea, Friday to Sunday 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.; live entertainment Wednesday to Saturday 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.; open Friday to Saturday 2 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. and Sunday to Thursday 2 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- Poolside service: Light cuisine and snacks; available daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (later during the summer)
- Cent' Anni: Cafe serving coffee, tea sandwiches and other light food; open daily 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- 24-hour room service from Amaya
This 249-room Spanish-Colonial-style resort in the rolling hills near Del Mar is stunning, from the old-world decor to the enormous rooms to the luxurious spa. It features four pools, excellent restaurants, an 18-hole golf course, an Equestrian Center, and free car service in a Mercedes or Cadillac Escalade. But since it's inland, there are no ocean views; consider L'Auberge del Mar for closer proximity to the sand.
This Hotel Also Featured In
Things You Should Know About The Grand Del Mar
- 5300 Grand Del Mar Court, San Diego, CA 92130
- Fairway Room
- Grand Room
- Manchester Suite
- Mizner Suite
- Palazzo Suite
- Prado Suite
- Veranda Suite