Travel Guide of Del Mar, San Diego for: The Grand Del MarDel Mar, San Diego, California
Del Mar Summary
- Great weather (average daily temperature is 72 degrees)
- The beautiful Torrey Pines State Beach and Del Mar Beach
- Shopping at the open-air Del Mar Plaza
- Torrey Pines State Park
- The San Diego County Fair, held here every June
- Thoroughbred horse races in the summer
- 27-minute drive to Downtown San Diego
- Not much entertainment or nightlife
- Most hotels are expensive
- The ocean is a little chilly
What It's Like
Del Mar may be the most picturesque part of San Diego County. Building codes don't allow the construction of high-rise buildings or billboards, so the charming Del Mar Village has managed to preserve a small-town feel. Del Mar is home to an classy open-air shopping center, Del Mar Plaza; the excellent Torrey Pines State Beach and Del Mar Beach; and several parks: Torrey Pines State Park to the south, Canyon Prest Park to the east, and to the west, along the shore, Powerhouse Park, with a community center and playground, and Seagrove Park, a grassy area on a bluff overlooking the ocean. In the summer, Del Mar hosts the San Diego County Fair, and thoroughbred horse races take place at the Del Mar Racetrack.
Where to Stay
The area is only two square miles, so you won't be far from the beach or the village no matter where you stay. That being said, the choicest real estate is on the beach, in or very close to Del Mar Village.