This hotel has undergone significant renovations since our visit.
We will update our photos and review as soon as we can.
Oyster Hotel Photos
View All 6 Albums
Customers Who Viewed Dreams Sugar Bay Also Viewed
Oyster Hotel Review
Large, family-oriented resort with a big pool and a great spa -- one of the best hotels for families in St. Thomas
The mini-golf course
The Sugar Bay Resort and Spa is a family-oriented, 294-room, full-service, all-inclusive resort that covers meals, drinks and activities such as snorkeling and windsurfing in the price of the stay (unlike the Frenchman's Reef Marriott or the Ritz-Carlton). Activity is centered on the grotto pool, right next to the beach, but the tennis courts, water sports, mini-golf course, and other kid-friendly activities are all on site to keep guests busy. For families, the Sugar Bay offers more than any other resort in St. Thomas, including the Ritz-Carlton and the Marriott, and its bested only by the considerably more expensive Westin St. John (one island away).
On the eastern end of St. Thomas, about a five-minute drive from fun bars and restaurants in Red Hook
The hotel is located on the resort-heavy East End, near Red Hook, but there's nothing accessible within walking distance.
- 30-minute cab ride from St. Thomas' airport
- Closest town is Red Hook, about a five-minute ($5 per person) cab ride
- 15-minute drive from duty-free bargain shopping in Charlotte Amalie
- Ferry to neighboring St. John can be picked up in Red Hook
Rocky but good for snorkeling; smaller than others on St. Thomas.
The roughly 300-foot-long strip of beach is a touch smaller and rockier than what you'll find at other resorts on St. Thomas, like Bolongo Bay, Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina, or the Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, so the soft-sand areas can get a bit more crowded.
- Great snorkeling in the rocky patches
- Water-sports equipment available for rent
- Barefoot swimmers need to avoid the rocky patches
The Resort-View Room
All guest rooms were updated in 2006 with tropical furnishings and earthtone decor.
- Free-form grotto pool overlooking the beach, ringed by lounge chairs, umbrellas, and palm trees -- it's one of the best pools in St. Thomas
- Journeys Spa -- rivaling the spa at the Marriott and the Ritz-Carlton as among the best in St. Thomas -- offers a variety of massages, body treatments, salon services, and waxing. Access to the hot tub and steam room costs an extra daily fee
- Large fitness center with weight-training and cardio equipment, but no personal TV monitors (as found at the Marriott)
- On-site casino, or more accurately the slot-machine room, is typical of those in St. Thomas
- Four tennis courts and one basketball court
- Mini-golf course
- On-site car-rental kiosk
Excellent family option -- the best family resort on St. Thomas
Bested only by the more-expensive Westin on the island of St. John, the resort offers more for families than the competing Marriott or even the Ritz-Carlton.
- Large standard rooms, available with two double beds or one king; additional rollaway beds available at no extra charge
- Sugar Bay's "Kids Klub" offers supervised all-day activities like scavenger hunts, snorkeling, and iguana feeding for kids ages four to 12.
- Exceptional grotto-style pool
- On-site mini-golf course
- Fun water activities for kids
Food is on par with most other large-scale V.I. resorts.
A dish at Manor House
All guests receive an all-inclusive meal option and the hotel offers three different options on the property:
- The Ocean Club, more accurately a kiosk, has pastries and coffee for breakfast. The restaurant is included in the all-inclusive plan.
- Manor House, the resort's only more upscale breakfast and dinner option, serves a breakfast buffet as well as a la carte items.The restaurant is included in the all-inclusive plan.
- For lunch, The Mangrove Cafe has salads, sandwiches and light entrees. The restaurant is included in the all-inclusive plan.
- Turtle Rock Bar also serves lunch, along with beers and frozen drinks, and is not included in all-inclusive plan
- The Barking Shark is a cafe and market, and is not included in the all-inclusive plan.
- Room service is available daily, though is not covered in the all-inclusive plan
- For off-site restaurants, you'll have to head to Red Hook, five minutes away by car (about $5 per person by taxi).
A clean, modern, family-oriented resort with a full-service spa, an excellent snorkeling beach, and service that rivals (even bests) the pricier Ritz-Carlton -- Sugar Bay Resort and Spa is a great pick for the price. The all-inclusive plan, which is covered in the cost, can save drinkers some cash, but the on-site food is average; drive five minutes to Red Hook for better restaurants.
This Hotel Also Featured In
Things You Should Know About Dreams Sugar Bay
- 6500 Estate Smith Bay, 00802, Caribbean
Hotel is Also (or Was Formerly) Known As
- Sugar Bay Resort and Spa
- Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort And Spa
- Bay View Room
- Ocean View Room
- One Bedroom Suite