With additional reporting by Rachel Klein.
For many of us, family ski trips are some of the fondest memories from our childhoods; they often involved fire pits, heated pools, hearty meals, and, well, maybe a few kamikaze-style downhill runs as well. We know from experience that kids always have a great time in the snow, and they’re usually so tired after an entire day of skiing that parents can even snatch some time alone after the little ones are in bed. But there are so many hotels that cater to families and groups that picking the right one can be tricky. No need to fret -- we’re here to help! We've put together a list of our favorite family-friendly hotels in the top ski destinations, so that all you need to do is have some fun!
1. Top of the Village, Aspen
This three-pearl property is a great value for families. All of the spacious, condo-style units come with kitchenettes, gas grills, washer/dryers, and up to four bedrooms, plus they're adorned with contemporary decor that's so homey, you'll forget you're in a hotel. Details include oversize leather sofas, beautiful pitched wood-beam ceilings, and dining chairs with frames made from tree branches. Add that to ski-in/ski-out access, and it's quite an impressive package.
- Our favorite family-friendly feature: After a day on the slopes with kids, loading everyone in and out of the car for meals or shopping in town is un-fun—and then there's dealing with parking. Top of the Village's free area shuttle allows you to skip the drive, which is a major perk.
2. The Peaks Resort and Spa, Telluride
The Peaks Resort and Spa truly caters to the whole family as one of the most amenity-packed hotels in the area. Little ones will be kept plenty busy with an organized kids program, and for parents, there's a massive spa and fitness center with Pilates and yoga classes. Other highlights include ski-in/ski out access and multiple eating options on-site with excellent food. The only caveat is that it'll cost you -- be prepared for a resort fee.
Our favorite family-friendly feature: If kids don't expend all their energy on the slopes, they'll certainly get their fill at the pool's waterslide. Plus, there's a ton of adjoining space for them to run around.
3. Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail
The Four Seasons Vail opened in 2011 and is one of the area’s top hotels. All of the rooms have warm colors, stone fireplaces, balconies, and huge marble bathrooms with standalone soaking tubs and almost every amenity impresses, particularly the upscale spa (one of the best in Vail Valley), lovely outdoor pool area and outstanding kids' program. Just note that it's not directly on the slopes -- guests face a 10-minute walk, or a short hotel shuttle ride.
- Our favorite family-friendly feature: The childrens' program is one of the most comprehensive in the area, with free use of baby toiletries, diapers, toys, and flashlights and tents to set up in the rooms.
4. Teton Mountain Lodge & Spa - A Noble House Resort, Jackson Hole
In keeping with its name, Teton Mountain Lodge's 145 condo-style rooms and common areas have a distinct mountain-lodge vibe. If the rooms weren't amply supplied with up-to-date amenities such as flat-screen TVs, iPod docks, and new appliances in the kitchens you might feel as if you were staying in your own remote log cabin. Being that most nearby restaurants and bars are expensive, the full kitchens in most rooms (all but the Lodge Rooms) help to combat the high prices. All areas of the hotel are cozy, including the beautiful lobby, with its two tall, towering stone fireplaces and exposed wooden beams. All guests have full access to the spa facilities: two pools five whirlpools (great for sore post-ski muscles), steam rooms, and a nicely equipped fitness center.
- Our favorite family-friendly feature: Our favorite guest room for families is the Two Bedroom Bi-Level Suite, which sleeps up to six. It has a full kitchen, spacious loft with two twin beds, plus a comfortable living room and three full bathrooms.
5. One Ski Hill Place, a RockResort, Breckenridge
One Ski Hill Place is one of the most luxurious lodges in Breckenridge, with attractive condo-style units featuring gourmet kitchens beautiful bathrooms (almost all with soaking tubs), and moss rock gas fireplacesIt also offers the most features of any resort in the area, including a two-lane bowling alley, a billiards room, and an indoor pool area. It has a ski-in/ski-out location right on Peak 8, but getting to Main Street requires a trip on the Breck-Connect Gondola.
- Our favorite family-friendly feature: The hotel is packed with features kids will love, including two screening rooms, and a kid's pool with a gradually sloped "beach entry."
You'll Also Like: