What’s better than crawling into a soft, warm bed after a long day of skiing? Well, very few things, but an après-ski spa session may just top it! It’s not only that during a treatment your muscles can finally relax after so many hours of tension, but spa treatments also allow your mind to float away into a whole other dimension in which checking your work email or stressing over what to make for dinner is not even a dot in the horizon. With a wide array of world-class treatments, gorgeous facilities, and unique, tranquil vibes, these spas are your best bet for some après-ski pampering.
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe is a five-pearl, full-service resort in the mountains above Northstar-at-Tahoe ski resort. Along with luxe rooms, fine dining, and ski-in/ski-out access to the slopes, the Ritz-Carlton offers many other recreational activities -- including multiple outdoor pools and whirlpools that are open year-round. However, one of the best features of the hotel is its huge spa, complete with a wonderful fitness center with mountain views, and an outstanding treatment menu that ranges from organic mani-pedis to stone massages.
- Our favorite spa treatment: The hotel's Signature Package includes a 50-minute organic massage, a 50-minute organic facial, and a 50-minute organic manicure and pedicure.
Hotel Terra Jackson Hole
The 132-room Hotel Terra is a trendy, eco-friendly ski lodge that offers a nice break from the often-standard mountain-lodge decor found in other area hotels. The lobby has the characteristic fireplaces and antler-adorned walls, but they're complemented by pops of color and modern furniture. The rooms are sleek, with flat-screen TVs, iPod docks, free Wi-Fi, and organic toiletries in the bathrooms (complete with heated floors). Perhaps most importantly, the hotel is just a short walk from the slopes, and has on-site ski rentals and a ski valet. The Chill Spa, located on the sixth floor, offers organic treatments with a view, as well as an outdoor rooftop hot tub, eucalyptus-infused steam rooms, and an infinity pool overlooking the resort.
- Our favorite spa treatment: The De-Stressing Aloe & Tea Sun Saver helps restore elasticity and enhances hydration with several types of natural oils.
The Arrabelle at Vail Square, a RockResort
This rustic-luxe, chalet-inspired lodge is one of Vail's premier options, with a location in the heart of Vail Square, near the Eagle Bahn lift. The 62 luxurious rooms feature massive bathrooms, stone fireplaces, and scenic balconies, and the rooftop lap pool packs serious wow factor. The lavish spa features a full-service salon, as well as separate steam rooms, saunas, whirlpools and relaxation lounges for men and women.
- Our favorite spa treatment: The Sport Enthusiast Body Recovery is an 80-minute treatment that includes exfoliation, lymphatic flow stimulation, an aloe vera and herbal liniment body wrap, and a sports massage.
Viceroy Snowmass, Aspen
Viceroy Snowmass is easily the most luxurious resort in Snowmass Village, and is packed with top-notch amenities, including a solid fitness center with modern Technogym equipment and a lovely pool area with a heated saline pool, cabanas, and a fire pit. It also offers phenomenal ski valet service (valets will take care of everything from scheduling lessons to putting your boots on for you) and a prime ski-in, ski-out location. The stunning 7,000-square-foot spa has a gorgeous relaxation room, a separate locker rooms with plunge pools and whirlpools, and six treatment rooms that include a Vichy wet room.
- Our favorite spa treatment: The 120-minute Ute Sun Dance Ritual includes a hot salt bath, a warm red clay body wrap that detoxifies and improves circulation, and a hot oil scalp massage. To wrap it up, guests get a full body massage, and foot and hand treatments.
High Peaks Resort, Lake Placid
Located in the heart of Lake Placid, mere moments from all of Main Street's offerings, this 133-room lakefront resort manages to feel both central and secluded at the same time. Most rooms offer scenic views over Mirror Lake (don't miss the stunning sunrises), as well as modern amenities and particularly noteworthy bathrooms. Downtown Lake Placid is steps away with plenty of shopping, restaurants and cafes -- and the Olympic Center, site of the 1980 Olympics, is a mere four blocks away. Of course, there's plenty to keep guests occupied on-site, including four pools (two indoor and two outdoor), a lakefront area with free use of kayaks, and a modern fitness center overlooking the pool courtyard. Guests also have access to the Aveda Concept Salon and Spa, which offers upscale treatments for both men and women.
- Our favorite spa treatment: The Chakra Balancing Massage is a customized treatment that helps balance the body’s centers of energy. It includes a deep tissue back massage, foot reflexology and a session of guided meditation.
The Peaks Resort and Spa, Telluride
The upscale Peaks Resort and Spa, which has a great ski-in, ski-out Mountain Village location, is one of the largest and most amenity-packed properties in the area. The numerous features include a huge 42,000 square foot spa and fitness center with Pilates and yoga studio; golf course; tennis courts; and two on-site restaurants. Families will likely appreciate the indoor/outdoor pool with a water slide, indoor rock climbing wall, and organized kids' programs. The 161 sophisticated rooms offer fantastic mountain views and free Wi-Fi.
- Our favorite spa treatment: The 90-minute Herbal Poultice Massage alleviates pain and reduces inflammation with the rhythmic application of a warm muslin poultice of chamomile, lavender and calendula to the body.