Not so long ago, hotel restaurants were known for being expensive, bland and indistinguishable from one another. But some of New York’s newest hotels plan to make that sentiment a distant memory this year. In addition to the upcoming full-scale opening of the mega-hyped Ma Peche at Chambers Hotel, here are five more hotel restaurants to watch for in 2010:
- Apparently not yet content that it has a lock on the title of Manhattan’s hippest budget stay, the Ace Hotel is trucking in a slice of the Brooklyn food scene, adding No. 7 Sub in early 2010. The eatery, a take-out-only branch of Fort Greene’s No. 7, will feature a selection of under-$10 sandwiches. 20 W. 29th St.
- Also this spring, the Smyth Hotel, the newest entry from uber-chic boutique chain Thompson Hotels, will add Jour et Nuit, a sleek restaurant-lounge from Parisian restaurateur Frederick Lesort. 85 West Broadway.
- The Mondrian Hotel, scheduled to open in Chinatown some time before the end of the year, will include an as-yet-unnamed seafood restaurant from former Top Chef star Sam Talbot. 150 Lafayette St.
- Also later in the year, local fast food fave Shake Shack will continue its hostile takeover of Manhattan’s burger scene, opening the mini-chain’s first hotel branch on the first floor of the upcoming InterContinental New York Times Square. 44th St. and 8th Ave.
- And just down 44th Street from the InterContinental, chef Geoffrey Zakarian (of Town) is set to open the opulent 90-seat Lamb’s Club inside the Chatwal. 130 W. 44th St.
–Brendan Spiegel of Endless Simmer.
All products are independently selected by our writers and editors. If you buy something through our links, Oyster may earn an affiliate commission.