The Indonesian island of Bali offers just about everything visitors could want in a tropical getaway. There are numerous temples and cultural sites, breathtaking beaches popular for sunbathing and surfing, and lush landscapes peppered with rice paddies and volcanic mountains. While many may think Kuta is specific to budget backpackers or Nusa Dua is only for the well-heeled, we found properties that range the from bare bones to over-the-top luxe (and something in between) in six major Bali destinations. So whether you're looking to splurge on a honeymoon or hop around with limited cash, read through to find the best hotel for your budget.
Located in central Bali, Ubud lacks a beachfront but it's packed with lush greenery, culture, and a spiritual atmosphere. Travelers can tour rice paddies, head to the popular Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary, or practice yoga at one of the many studios. The city also acts as the center of Bali's art scene, so tourists should plan to visit the museums and galleries throughout town.
- Budget: Tegal Sari is one of the top budget hotels in Bali thanks to its central location, well-equipped rooms, and rooftop pool. Additional on-site perks include two restaurants and spa services available.
- Mid-Range: The Samara is a family-run property with lush grounds, a peaceful pool, and chic rooms.
- Luxury: The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah a GHM Hotel makes our list of the best luxury hotels in Bali for a reason. The 20 private villas come with butlers and indoor/outdoor bathrooms, and many have pools. Add in free breakfast and yoga classes and it makes for a standout getaway.
Kuta is essentially backpacker and party-lover heaven. The laid-back beaches are lined with restaurants and bars that provide spots to rage well into the night. Travelers can also score some serious deals at the numerous shopping outlets.
- Budget: The Green Garden Hotel is definitely dated, but rooms have flat-screen TVs, mini-fridges, and either balconies or terraces. Plus, rates include a buffet breakfast at the restaurant, which is popular with both locals and guests.
- Mid-Range: Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel has an excellent location on the beach next to Discovery Shopping Mall. It also has a large pool with swim-up bar, kids' club, and free Wi-Fi, making it suitable for both families and children.
- Luxury: The Sheraton Bali Kuta Resort is a typical modern chain resort of the luxury caliber with a slew of amenities that can be enjoyed alongside stellar ocean views.
Just north of Kuta, Seminyak is sometimes referred to as its grown-up neighbor. It's packed with high-end spas, gorgeous beaches, and plenty of boutique shops. Sunsets and surfing here are not to be missed.
- Budget: Grandmas Seminyak Hotel may have small rooms, but they're contemporary and have air-conditioning -- a perk that plenty of other budget hotels in the area lack. A small pool, spa, and restaurant make it a solid option for value seekers.
- Mid-Range: The boutique Daluman Villas has one- and two-bedroom units, each with their own plunge pool, open-air living room, and microwave.
- Luxury: The five-pearl Legian Bali ticks all the boxes with its three-tier infinity pool, elegant rooms, loungers facing the beach, and quality dining. Of course, rates reflect this.
Jimbaran is an interesting mix of luxe resorts and quaint fishing village vibes. Dining at seafood shacks and browsing fish markets are typical daytime activities, but most visitors to this part of Bali are here for quintessential R&R by the water.
- Budget: Though the Flower Bud Bungalows Balangan is a three-pearl property, the low rates are certainly budget-friendly. The family-run spot has 22 rustic yet charming bungalows, plus two pools, a restaurant, and a bar.
- Mid-Range: Situated a two-minute walk from the beach, the Open House Hotel has modern rooms, an outdoor pool, and free yoga classes.
- Luxury: Villas at AYANA Resort is a showstopper located on a private beach. The large villas have gorgeous bathrooms, garden terraces, and private plunge pools. Since it shares amenities with its sister property, there are 11 pools, 15 restaurants, and a spa for guests' use.
Nusa Dua is a small area with little more than lavish resorts, a golf course, and gorgeous stretches of white-sand beach -- but that's all you really need, right? Despite the fact that luxury hotels easily outnumber more affordable options here, there are still a handful of wallet-friendly spots -- so anyone can enjoy this impressive locale.
- Budget: Ellie's is a hidden gem a short taxi ride from Nusa Dua Beach. Higher-category rooms have contemporary decor, flat-screen TVs, and minibars; plus, there's a courtyard pool.
- Mid-Range: VOUK Hotel & Suites has a big pool, pleasant rooms, and a small spa, as well as multiple meeting spaces for business travelers. The hotel also offers a free shuttle to Geger Beach.
- Luxury: The adult-only, 20-room Kayumanis is one of the most romantic hotels in all of Asia. The serene property offers a ton of features, gorgeous villas, and free airport transportation.
Uluwatu sits at the southern tip of Bali, making for breathtaking ocean views from many vantage points. The area is best known for Uluwatu Temple, one of the key temples in Bali that's situated at the edge of a striking cliff.
- Budget: The Gong is a family-owned hotel with 12 simple rooms, an all-day cafe, and free Wi-Fi. It's near several popular surfing spots, the closest of which (Suluban Beach) is a little over 10 minutes away on foot.
- Mid-Range: Lullaby Bungalows offers 10 thatched-roof units with outdoor bathrooms. It has a pool and restaurant, and a quiet atmosphere that makes it ideal for couples.
- Luxury: Rates at the five-pearl Alila Villas Uluwatu are some of the highest around, but its cliffside setting, sleek minimalist design, and impressive villas make it worth the price for many.