- Centrally located in downtown Austin near the State Capitol
- Funky, colorful decor inspired by Austin's music and contemporary art scene
- Spacious, high-ceilinged rooms with big bathrooms, plus some with balconies
- Rooftop swimming pool with city views
- Free buffet breakfast, plus free tea and coffee in the lobby
- Well-equipped fitness room with cardio machines and free weights
- Business center and meeting room
- On-site coin-operated laundry
- Free Wi-Fi throughout
- No on-site restaurant, bar, or room service
- Parking incurs an extra fee
The Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol is a mid-range property located in the heart of central Austin, within walking distance of the Texas State Capitol building and the University of Texas. Its 137 rooms are spacious and feature colorful, quirky decor and amenities that include free Wi-Fi, mini-fridges, and coffeemakers. Besides a lovely rooftop pool, the hotel also offers a fitness room equipped with modern machines, a meeting room, and a business center. Travelers seeking accommodation close to the University of Texas might also want to consider the Doubletree by Hilton Austin - University Area.
- Fitness Center
- Pets Allowed
Things You Should Know About Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Also Known As
- Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University/Capitol
1701 Lavaca Street, Austin, Texas 78701-1315, United States
Oyster Hotel Review
Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Colorful interiors with funky decor inspired by Austin's music and art scene
Located on a wide downtown street of low-rise buildings, the hotel’s boring red brick exterior hides a few surprises. The reception and lobby areas are refreshingly bright and airy, thanks to high ceilings and tall windows that let in plenty of light, while decor is funky and fun, inspired by the city’s vibrant music and art scene and a respite from the typically bland chain-hotel interiors. Graffiti-covered walls are paired with exposed steel banisters, colorful sofas and armchairs, brightly colored rugs, painted guitars decorating the walls, and eccentric artwork made by local artists. The hotel's central location and roomy interiors make it a popular choice with families visiting the city, and business travelers are frequent guests as well.
Downtown location close to the State Capitol and the University of Texas
The hotel is located in Austin’s busy downtown district, a 10-minute walk to the Texas State Capitol and a 12-minute walk to the University of Texas at Austin. There are many restaurants, bars, cafes, and shops located within the immediate vicinity of the hotel.
- Four-minute walk to Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum
- 10-minute walk to Texas State Capitol
- 12-minute walk to University of Texas at Austin
- Four-minute drive to Frank Erwin Center
- Five-minute drive to Austin Convention Center
- Five-minute drive to Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum (15-minute bus ride)
- Six-minute drive to Darrell K. Royal Texas Memorial Stadium (10-minute bus ride)
- Seven-minute drive to Sixth Street music district
- Eight-minute drive to Zilker Metropolitan Park
- 10-minute drive to Roy and Ann Butler Hike and Bike Trail
- 11-minute drive to Mount Bonnell
- 19-minute drive to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
- 34-minute drive to Lake Travis
Spacious rooms with large bathrooms, some with private balconies
Rooms here are exceptionally spacious, including the bathrooms, which are much bigger than average. The decor is a little less boisterous compared to the public spaces, with a neutral color scheme of browns and beiges, with wall-to-wall carpets in a herringbone pattern, dark brown furniture, and curtains with ikat motifs framing tall windows. Photography prints tastefully decorate the walls which would otherwise look bare because of the high ceilings. Amenities include ceiling fans, flat-screen TVs, mini-fridges, ironing facilities, coffee machines, free Wi-Fi, and Neutrogena products in the bathrooms, plus some rooms also have balconies offering city views that are furnished with armchairs and tables. The L-shaped King Studios have separate living areas with sleeper sofas and dining tables as well as kitchenettes with microwaves. A number of accessible rooms are also available.
Rooftop pool, well-equipped fitness center, and free breakfast
A free hot breakfast is served daily in the dining area located off the lobby, where free tea and coffee are also available throughout the day. The rooftop pool on the fifth floor is not very wide, but offers sweeping city views, and there’s a pleasant adjacent lounge area. The fitness center is spacious, bright, and well-equipped, with treadmills, recumbent bikes, and cardio and elliptical machines. Two computers and a printer are free for guests to use in the business center located in the lobby, and free Wi-Fi is available throughout the property. Other amenities include a 760-square-foot meeting room, a coin-operated laundry, a small retail area selling snacks and gifts, and an underground parking garage (charged extra), which has elevators linking the garage directly to the guest floors.
Balcony / Terrace / Patio
Meeting / Conference Rooms
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
Disclaimer: This content was accurate at the time the hotel was reviewed. Please check our partner sites when booking to verify that details are still correct.