- In a somewhat unattractive area in Queens (but near public transportation)
- A couple of rooms are small
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
A mid-range option with attractive rooms and similar rates to neighboring hotels
The Vetiver opened in 2012 on a quiet street off the Northern Boulevard and Queens Plaza, two of Queens’ busiest thoroughfares. It is small and quiet, which is a nice departure from the multiple chain hotels found in the area (the property is across the street from a Holiday Inn, and within four blocks of at least four other chain hotels).
It is located within a short subway ride of Manhattan’s main attractions and has spacious, attractive rooms as well as nice freebies (including continental breakfast and Wi-Fi). The hotel is near the headquarters of JetBlue, Citibank and a few other major companies, so it draws business travelers in addition to leisure travelers looking to save money by staying outside of Manhattan. Just note that there aren’t many restaurants or stores in the immediate area, and that the neighborhood is still up-and-coming.
Overall, the hotel is contemporary and attractive, with red accent walls in the lobby; a nice lobby bar with drinks, coffee and a few small bites; and spacious, bright rooms with stylish decor. Rates are very similar to those of neighboring chain hotels, but the Vetiver has more style and free Wi-Fi.
In a somewhat unattractive area in Long Island City, Queens, within four blocks of six subway lines
Hotel Vetiver is located on a quiet side street off North Boulevard, one of the neighborhood’s main thoroughfares. It is within four blocks of three subway stations (served by six subway lines) and offers easy access to Manhattan. There aren’t many stores or restaurants in the area, and few attractions can be found in this part of town, but a short subway ride gets guests to Midtown, where most of the main New York attractions are.
Long Island City is the area in Queens closest to Manhattan. Despite the ongoing gentrification, the neighborhood is still up-and-coming, and there are no major attractions. MoMa’s little sister, the MoMA PS1, is a 20-minute walk (or a 14-minute subway ride) from the hotel, and there’s a wonderful park with stunning Manhattan views a short bus ride from the property. Most of the tourist sights in Manhattan are a 15- to 20-minute ride from the hotel.
- Within an 8-minute walk of six subway lines (E, M, N, Q, R and 7)
- 20-minute walk to MoMA PS1 museum (an outpost of the Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan)
- 30-minute walk to Gantry State Plaza Park
- 11-minute subway ride to Central Park
- 11-minute subway ride to the Museum of the Moving Image
- 18-minute subway ride to MoMA
- 15-minute subway ride to Grand Central
- 16-minute subway ride to Times Square
- 23-minute subway ride to the Empire State Building
- 29-minute subway ride to the Metropolitan Museum of Art
Bright and contemporary with good beds and free Wi-Fi
The Hotel Vetiver offers several room types, ranging from large “Condos” featuring kitchenettes to standard rooms with basic but solid amenities. Most rooms are spacious and attractive, with contemporary decor featuring bright pops of color, chandeliers, fun rugs, and accent walls -- but there are a couple of tiny ones, with just a full bed and a small bathroom. Some rooms have a balcony with partial Manhattan views.
While most rooms have the same solid amenities, including flat-screen TVs, free Wi-Fi, coffeemakers and iPod docks, only a few have a mini-fridge, and not all rooms have a work desk. Bathrooms are smallish, with colorful tiles (in most) and walk-in showers.
- Comfortable queen or double beds in all but Standard Full Rooms
- Flat-screen TVs with premium channels
- iPod docks
- Coffeemakers with free coffee and tea
- Free Wi-Fi
- Rusk toiletries
- Electronic safes
- Some rooms have balconies with partial Manhattan views
- Some rooms have empty mini-fridges
Rooms and Rates
Tiny fitness center with three machines
Some rooms feature two queen beds and kitchenettes
- Condos each feature a small well-equipped kitchenette with a stovetop, a sink and an empty mini-fridge, but there is no dining space aside from the work desk.
- Most Queen Rooms each have an empty mini-fridge, as well as plates and silverware for two.
- Some rooms have two double or queen beds.
- Free continental breakfast served daily
A small wine bar and free continental breakfast daily
Limited services but free Wi-Fi
Rental Car Service Desk Onsite
Supervised Kids Activities
|Things to Do||
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
|Address||29-11 39th Ave, Long Island City, New York 11101, United States|