Travel Guide of Dana Point, Orange County for: The Ritz-Carlton Laguna NiguelDana Point, Orange County, California
Dana Point Summary
- Beautiful beaches, especially in Capistrano Beach
- Known for expensive mansions and yachts, often owned by celebrities
- Fun shopping and dining at the marina in Dana Cove
- Over an hour-long drive to Downtown San Diego
- Not much entertainment or nightlife
What It's Like
Dana Point is a picturesque, small beach town on the cliffs of Southern Orange County. There is not a whole lot to do in the town itself, but that is kind of the point of visiting. The main attraction is the marina in man-made Dana Cove, a perfect place to grab a bite to eat and do boutique shopping. But visitors are also come for the mostly undeveloped beach town Capistrano Beach (which features 62 acres of sandy shore), and for whale watching tours, especially during the Festival of Whales in March. Be sure to check out the beautiful yachts docked at the marina, or rent a boat of your own.
Where to Stay
Dana Point is pretty small and very residential, leaving few hotel choices. But that doesn't mean what little selection there may be isn't great. Stay in Capistrano if you want time on the sand or stay near the marina to be closer to restaurants and shops.