Effective on December 31, 2019
This privacy statement describes how Oyster.com (operated by Smarter Travel Media, LLC, and referred to herein as “STM” or “Oyster”, as either term applies to the Oyster.com Web site) collects and uses the personal information you provide on our Web site: www.oyster.com . It also describes the choices available to you regarding our use of your personal information and how you can access and update this information.
Cookies and Other Web Technologies
This Site participates in exchanges of anonymous information about user browsing behavior on the Site. This non-personally identifiable information is collected by cookies and other similar technologies and segmented into different anonymized groups. We may share these types of anonymous information with third parties to facilitate the display of targeted advertisements. Please click here or here to learn more about these types of exchanges, including how to access information about the topics of interest associated with cookies and your options with regard to participation in these programs (including opting-out).
Furthermore, Oyster may, from time to time, use outside media companies to display advertisements on our site. These ads may contain cookies and web beacons, which are collected and tracked by the outside media company. Oyster has no access to or control over these cookies.
Links to Other Web Sites
Our Site includes links to other Web sites whose privacy practices may differ from those of STM. If you submit personal information to any of those sites, your information is governed by their privacy statements. We encourage you to carefully read the privacy statement of any Web site you visit.
The security of your personal information is important to us. When you enter sensitive information (such as a credit card number) on our order forms, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services, you may click on the unsubscribe link in an email from us or contact us here. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
If you have any questions about security on our Web site, you can contact us by completing this form.
Site Registration, Email Subscriptions, Email Communications and Newsletters
Oyster’s registration form may require users to provide basic contact and demographic information. We use or may use your contact information (such as your email address) from the registration form to send you newsletters and occasional information about our services and partners, inform you if you are the potential winner of a contest or promotion, personalize your experience with Oyster, or investigate cases of suspected fraud or abuse. You may opt-out of receiving future communications by clicking on the unsubscribe link in an email from Oyster. In order to customize your experience with our email newsletters, we receive a confirmation when you open email from Oyster if your computer supports such capabilities. Clicking on a link in an Oyster newsletter is also tracked on a per user basis to allow us to present content which closely matches your interests. Demographic and profile data (such as state, zip code, age, or gender) is used to customize your experience at our site or in our email newsletters, showing you content and advertising that best suits your needs. This information is shared with advertisers and other third parties on an aggregate or anonymized basis only. Personal information about individual users is never shared with advertisers.
If, in the future, you enter Oyster via a reward or incentive program, Oyster may share your email address with the program through which you entered Oyster to ensure you are credited with your incentive.
In order to better communicate with registered users about their registration status, Oyster may acquire information about users from third-party sources, including but not limited to a user’s mailing address. The information collected will be shared with third parties on an aggregate basis only, if at all.
Display of Advertising/Your Choices
Data collected to serve you with relevant advertising
Oyster and its affiliated Web sites are committed to providing you with relevant content and information across our sites. To do this, we may collect information about your travel-related searches, such as whether you are looking for hotels, and use this information to serve you with ads on our sites or elsewhere online that match your apparent interests. So, for example, if you search for a hotel room in Florida on Oyster.com, you may see an ad for a Florida travel package on Oyster.com or on another Web site you visit.
We do not share your personal information (such as email addresses) with unaffiliated third parties so they can serve you with advertisements. You can choose not to receive relevant online advertising on other Web sites based on your travel-related searches on Oyster.com by clicking here.
Many of the advertisements you see on the Oyster and STM family of sites are served by Oyster.com or its service providers. However, we also allow third parties to collect information about your online activities through cookies and other technologies. These third parties include (1) business partners, who collect information when you view or interact with one of their advertisements on our sites, and (2) advertising networks, which collect information about your interests when you view or interact with one of the advertisements they place on many different Web sites on the Internet. The information gathered by these third parties is used to make predictions about your characteristics, interests or preferences and to display advertisements on our sites and across the Internet tailored to your apparent interests.
Data collected by companies that operate cookie-based exchanges to serve you with relevant advertising.
Like other companies operating online, Oyster participates in cookie-based exchanges where anonymous information is collected about your browsing behavior through cookies and other technologies and segmented into different topics of interest (such as travel). These topics of interest are then shared with third parties, including advertisers and ad networks, so they can tailor advertisements to your apparent interests. We do not share personal information (such as your email address) with these companies and we do not permit these companies to collect any such information about you on our site. Please click here to learn more about cookie-based exchanges, including how to access information about the topics of interest associated with cookies on your computer and how to decline participation in these programs.
What information we collect from you
Automatic Information. We automatically collect some information about your computer when you visit Oyster. For example, we will collect your IP address, and information relating to your Web browser software and referring Web site. We also may collect information about your online activity, such as trips viewed. One of our goals in collecting this information is to help customize your user experience. We do not use this information to identify you.
Information Collected Through Web Analytics. Oyster uses a Web analytics company to track and generate reports on visitor use of our site. We use the Web analytics company to analyze visitor activity so that we may better understand how visitors make use of Oyster, and so that we may better tailor content to meet our visitors’ needs. This data may include anonymized, individual visitor click behavior. No personally identifiable information is obtained or shared with the Web analytics company. Although our Web analytics company logs the information coming from Oyster on our behalf, we control how that data may and may not be used.
How we use this information
If you chose to receive communications from Oyster about special promotions when registering as an Oyster member, we may use your email address to send you communications about surveys, contests, sweepstakes, promotions, flight specials, deals or other travel news and opportunities on Oyster and its marketing partners. If you choose to receive our Newsletters, you may receive communications such as “Top Travel Deals” and periodic announcements about changes to our features at your email address. You can discontinue your subscription to Oyster promotional email services at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the email received.
With whom we share this information
Oyster may share the information it collects with the following entities:
- Third-party vendors who provide services or functions on our behalf, including package delivery, business analytics, customer service, marketing, distribution of surveys or sweepstakes programs, and fraud prevention. These companies have access to information needed to perform their functions but are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose.
- Business partners who may offer products or services through our site. You can tell when a third party is involved in a product or service you have requested because their name will be listed. Please note that we do not control the privacy practices of these third-party business partners and recommend you evaluate their practices before deciding to provide them with any personal information.
We also may share your information:
- In response to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- When we believe it is appropriate to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal or suspected illegal activities; to protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of Oyster, our customers, or others; and in connection with our Terms of Service and other agreements.
- In connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Other than as set out above, you will be notified when information about you will be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to have us share such information.
- We also may share aggregate or anonymous information with third parties, including advertisers and investors. For example, we may tell our advertisers the number of visitors a Web site receives or what are the most popular vacation destinations. This information does not contain any personal information and is used to develop content and services we hope you will find of interest.
- Occasionally, Oyster may participate in reward programs. In order to properly credit you for your reward, we may share basic customer information with the reward-giver.
Sweepstakes, Online Surveys, and Order Forms
Oyster occasionally runs sweepstakes, hosts online surveys, or uses order forms on our Web site in which we ask for contact and demographic information. Participation in sweepstakes and surveys and usage of order forms is completely voluntary and the user therefore has a choice whether or not to disclose this information. We use or may use your contact information (such as your email address) from your sweepstakes entry, survey registration, or order form to inform you if you are the potential winner of a contest or promotion, personalize your experience with Oyster, send you newsletters (should you opt-in for these newsletters) and occasional information about our services or partners, or investigate cases of suspected fraud. You may opt-out of receiving future communications by clicking on the unsubscribe link in an email from Oyster.
Demographic and profile data (such as zip code, age, or gender) may be used to customize your experience at our site, showing you content and advertising that may best suit your needs. This information is shared with advertisers and other third parties on an aggregate basis only. In the event that Oyster partners with a third party to run a sweepstakes, Oyster may share demographic and profile data with such third party only as indicated in the official sweepstakes rules.
California Consumer Privacy Act Privacy Statement (“CCPA Statement”)
This CCPA Statement is provided pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and applies to California residents and supplements our overall Privacy Statement with additional disclosures and rights.
Your rights under CCPA
As of January 1 2020, California law permits residents of California to request certain details about how their personal information is shared with third-parties or affiliated companies for direct marketing purposes.
California residents may also take advantage of the following rights:
- You may request, up to two times each year, that we disclose to you the categories and specific pieces of personal information that we have collected about you, the categories of sources from which your personal information is collected, the business or commercial purpose for collecting your personal information, the categories of personal information that we disclosed for a business purpose, any categories of personal information about you that we sold, the categories of third-parties with whom we have shared your personal information, and the business or commercial purpose for selling your personal information, if applicable.
- You may request that we delete any personal information that we have collected from or about you. As described in more detail in our Privacy Statement, there are some reasons we will not be able to fully address your deletion request, such as if we need to complete a transaction for you, to detect and protect against fraudulent and illegal activity, to exercise our rights, or to comply with a legal obligation.
- You may request to opt out of our sale of your personal information to third-parties for their direct marketing purposes. This means that, if you opt out, going forward, we will not share your information with such third-parties to use for their purposes unless you later direct us to do so. To effect the opt out, please click on the Do Not Sell My Personal Information link on our website footer or submit a request in writing to the contact information below.
To take advantage of your disclosure and deletion rights, please contact us here. We may need to verify your identity to enable us to process your request. We value your privacy and will not discriminate in response to your exercise of privacy rights. We will respond to your request within 45 days of receipt of your request, after proper verification, unless we need additional time, in which case we will let you know.
For purposes of compliance with the CCPA, in addition to the further details as described in the Statement, we make the following disclosures:
- We collect the following categories of personal information: Identifiers/Contact Information, transactional information, Internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation, visual and audio information, and inferences drawn from the above.
- We sell the following categories of personal information: Identifiers/Contact Information, Internet or other electronic network activity information, and inferences drawn from the above.
We disclose the following categories of personal information for a business purpose: Identifiers/Contact Information, commercial information, Internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation, visual and audio information, and inferences drawn from the above.
Additional Policy Information
You can log in to our site using sign-in services such as Facebook Connect or an Open ID provider. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form. Services like Facebook Connect give you the option to post information about your activities on this Web site to your profile page to share with others within your network.
Correcting and Updating Your Personal Information
To review and update your personal information to ensure it is accurate, you may log into your account and click “Settings” or contact us by completing this form.
Notification of Privacy Statement Changes
We may update this privacy statement to reflect changes to our information practices. If we make any material changes we will notify you by email (sent to the email address specified in your account) or by means of a notice on this Site prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
Children Under 13 Years Old STM and its affiliated sites do not knowingly collect, maintain or use personal information from our Web sites about children under age 13. Children under the age of 13 may not participate in any online activities on Oyster.com.
Business Changes and Contact Information
Smarter Travel Media, LLC, 226 Causeway Street, 3rd Floor, Boston, MA 02114
Contact Form: http://www.oyster.com/about/contact/