Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
Older hotel next to the Scottsdale Airport, with soundproof construction
The 120-room Scottsdale Thunderbird Suites was the first hotel built in the Scottsdale Airpark area over 25 years ago. Because the hotel is located adjacent to the Scottsdale Airport (the name of the hotel comes from the Air Force Thunderbirds who were once based in Scottsdale), the hotel was constructed using a soundproofing method known as the “Outinord System” which eliminates noise not only from the jets and planes, but also between rooms. Guests can expect a quiet stay.
Overall, it's a fine, but unexciting, pick for the price.
Next to the Scottsdale Airport, eight miles north of downtown
The hotel is eight miles north of downtown Scottsdale, adjacent to Scottsdale Airport, and is surrounded by business parks. The popular boutique shopping district of Kierland Commons is within easy walking distance, as are a variety of restaurants. Shuttle service is offered within a 5-mile radius.
- 10-minute walk to Kierland Commons
- 15-minute drive to McDowell Mountain Park, a popular hiking area and nature preserve
- 15-minute drive to the Music Instrument Museum in Phoenix
- 15-minute drive to Taliesin West, an architectural center built by Frank Lloyd Wright
- 20-minute drive to Fashion Square shopping mall in downtown Scottsdale
- 45-minute drive to Bartlett Lake, a nearby reservoir with fishing and boating
- 30-minute drive to Sky Harbor International Airport
Despite a partial renovation to the interiors in 2007, the rooms still feel vintage 1980s. Decor is mid-range and unremarkable. But the two-room layout, and the kitchenettes with sinks, mini-fridges, Keurig coffeemakers, and microwaves, draw business travelers and families alike. Rooms facing east will have a splendid view of the nearby McDowell Mountains. On the downside, the bathrooms are smaller than average: Squeezing oneself into the small toilet space requires overcoming a bit of claustrophobia.
All rooms include:
- Separate bedroom and living rooms
- Full-size pull-out sofa bed
- Flat-screen TV with premium movie channels; usually a tube TV in the living area
- Simmons BeautyRest beds
- Work desk with telephone and free local calls
- Kitchenette with sink, mini-fridge, coffeemaker, and microwave
- Iron and ironing board
- Free newspaper
- Standard: 460 square feet; king, queen or two double beds
- VIP Suite: 950 square feet; king bed; separate kitchen with toaster oven and freezer; dining room table; iPod docking alarm clock; separate tub and shower; two-sink bathroom
Rooms and Rates
The Silver Wings Restaurant serves typical American hotel fare in a generic space.
Transport to / from Hotel
Rental Car Service Desk Onsite
|Things to Do||
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
|Address||7515 E Butherus Dr, Scottsdale, AZ, 85260, US|