Travel Guide of Rincon, Puerto Rico for: Horned Dorset PrimaveraRincon, Puerto Rico
- World-class surfing beaches -- over a dozen just in town
- One of the best spots in Puerto Rico to witness stunning sunsets
- Friendly locals, but helpful to know some basic Spanish vocab
- Beautiful surrounding hills
- Cute town center, with various boutiques and cafes
- Offers the best in water sports, like scuba diving, snorkeling, and sailing
- A great whale-watching destination, especially from December through March
- Windy, dangerous roads leading into the area
- Natural resources possibly in danger due to mass development
What It's Like
Rincon is known as “The Town of Beautiful Sunsets,” and its locale on the western coast does indeed make it an excellent place to watch the sun sink below the horizon over the blue sea.
Before surfing, sailing, and snorkeling became popular in the area, visitors would come for the Horned Dorset Primavera Hotel -- one of the most luxurious hotels in the entire Caribbean. Now, the town bustles with passing bohemians and surfers.
Several beautiful lighthouses, such as Rincon El Faro Lighthouse and Punta Higuero Lighthouse, dot the coast, and make for fun explorations during an afternoon or evening. December through March is the perfect season to whale watch from these locations. The town center has some cute shops and restaurants to browse, while the nearby Aguadilla offers a larger shopping mall.
Where to Stay
Although most restaurants and bars aren’t lumped into one main area, some can be found on PR-413, which runs along the most western tip, a bit north of downtown Rincon. Most can be found within the mile or so space between the northwestern tip of Rincon, running down PR-115, to the town center (which is actually a couple thousand feet south of the “Rincon” labeled on maps). Multiple hotels and resorts can be found along this stretch, and the most popular beaches are in this area.