- Downtown location close to the River Walk and historical sites
- Located in a historic building
- Quiet rooms and public areas, despite being near River Walk
- Ballroom and conference room can accommodate 500 people for business or weddings
- Decent restaurant and bar on-site; great restaurants nearby
- (Smallish) outdoor pool
- Solid fitness center
- Wedding specialist on-site
- Free basic Wi-Fi in all guest rooms
- Expensive valet parking only
- Some rooms much smaller than others, due to the property’s early 20th century construction
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
A charming historic building that feels elegant and modern at the same time
The Sheraton Gunter Hotel dates back to 1909, and has managed to retain its historic charm while benefiting from some modern updates. It's a well-regarded gem among history buffs. While more than a century old, the Sheraton Gunter has been well-maintained and still manages to feel relevant, comfortable and clean. The lobby was extensively renovated in 2014 to give it a 21st-century look; the dark wood was painted a crisp white, sheer white fabric wraps lit columns, and fun patterned rugs fill the space.
In the heart of downtown San Antonio, close to the River Walk, the Alamo, and lots of shopping and dining
From the hotel, you can walk to any of a number of area attractions, including the Alamo (four blocks away), La Villita, the Riverwalk, and Tower of the Americas.
Worthy of mention is the fact that the hotel’s street address will not lead you to the main entrance for valet parking and bellhops. That is actually on the other side of the building and you will need to circle around a few blocks to an entrance on its northwest corner.
San Antonio is a cultural city, with Latin communities and outdoor markets in La Villita, the oldest neighborhood in San Antonio. During the summer, festivals are held almost every week and flamenco dancers often perform. To escape the oppressive summer heat, the young and hip cool down with margaritas on River Walk, a winding street lined with restaurants and bars, while families opt to visit theme parks such as Splash Town and Six Flags. San Antonio is particularly kid-friendly, with numerous amusement parks, bike paths, HemisFair Park (park and convention center complete with gardens and playgrounds), and a zoo.
- 13-minute drive to San Antonio International Airport
- 5-minute walk to the Riverwalk
- 10-minute walk to the Alamo
- 10-minute walk to Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center
- 15-minute walk to Tower of the Americas
- 15-minute walk to La Villita park
- 5-minute drive to the Alamodome
- 6-minute drive to the King William Historical District
The rooms are comfortable and pleasant, though there are some variations in standard room sizing.
The rooms have been upgraded in recent years, and it’s refreshing to see attractive, tan-colored wallpaper in lieu of the peeling paint found in some other historic hotels. They have high ceilings, which makes them feel larger than they are, and most bathrooms have a window that lets in natural light.
One note: The rooms vary greatly in size because of the historic nature of the building.
- Rooms have high ceilings and city views
- Small bathrooms, but with a small window that lets in ambient light
- Flat-screen TVs
- Coffeemaker with free Starbucks coffee and tea
- Mini-fridges available at extra cost
- Free basic Wi-Fi
- Deluxe and Presidential Suites available
Rooms and Rates
Outdoor pool and multiple meeting spaces
- Medium-size outdoor pool overlooking the city
- Good fitness center with cardio machines, a few weight machines, and some free weights; also free access to Gold's Gym
- Club Level room with free breakfast, daily snacks, and pool table
- Small business center in lobby
- Several meeting spaces, including a banquet hall
- Expensive valet parking
- View Full List of Amenities
A full-service restaurant and speakeasy-style bar
- Market on Houston serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner in a contemporary space. Much of the menu consists of food from nearby farms.
- Gunter Bakery offers a wide selection of treats in addition to Starbucks coffee.
- Bar 414 is a speakeasy-style bar that often has live music.
- Room service until the late evening.
- Several good restaurants are all within walking distance.
Rental Car Service Desk Onsite
|Things to Do||
|Address||205 East Houston Street, San Antonio, Texas 78205, United States|