Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
A laid-back, intimate beach hotel with all of the amenities of a resort
With a name that aptly means “small paradise,” Hôtel Le Manapany Cottages & Spa is an intimate beach hotel with all of the trappings of a resort and none of the sprawl. The steep hillside grounds of this 46-room property are infused in their natural surroundings with winding pathways through coconut groves and a natural coastline that shifts with the trade winds. The laid-back vibe is less luxury, more relaxed retreat.
For such an intimate number of rooms, Manapany has a wealth of amenities. Some of them are excellent: the four-treatment room Spa Payot is a holistic sanctuary with a diverse therapy menu; the pool features excellent ocean views and comfy padded loungers; the tennis court and fitness center look brand new.
Unfortunately, the beach is narrow and rocky, with seaweed everywhere and unruly waves. Additionally, the restaurant has prices that rival Hotel Guanahani’s exceptional Bartoloméo -- but Manapany’s Fellini simply cannot compete. Still, guests don’t seem all that bothered by the untamed beachfront, and the property as a whole manages to maintain a quiet and intimate vibe that rivals far more expensive resorts.
On the northwest side of the island with nothing within walking distance, and a 10-minute drive to Gustavia
This part of St. Barts is sparsely populated with hardly any businesses nearby, and there are lots of winding roads before reaching the arched sign that says “Manapany.” There is nothing within walking distance, but the areas of St. Jean and Gustavia are a quick drive away.
Those who forgo a car rental should be advised that, although the island does widely accept American dollars, some taxi drivers will penalize you greatly for using foreign currency by charging obscenely high rates.
- 5-minute drive to Saint-Barthélemy Airport
- 5-minute drive to St-Jean Beach
- 7-minute drive to Colombier beach
- 10-minute drive to Gustavia Harbor
- 10-minute drive to Lorient Bay
- 10-minute drive to Rue de la République for shopping, cafes, restaurants, and bars
- 10-minute drive to Grand Saline nude beach
Standard rooms are almost dull; beachfront suites are better
The room decor falls short of achieving the same stylishness as the public areas. Varying greatly in style, the best rooms feature white rattan furnishings, carved wood canopy beds, and breathtaking views of the ocean. The worst rooms are either overtly spare with bland furniture attempting to fill the whitewashed spaces, or monastery-like with no-frills beds and worn furnishings.
Proximity to the ocean also varies greatly. Guests may book an ocean view, but that doesn't mean the room will be close to the ocean -- due to the resort’s hillside location, some rooms require several minutes' walk to the beach even though the water can be seen from the room's balcony.
The beachfront suites are the resort’s newest, but they still could use more attention. Unfinished wooden doors and ceilings would look more at home in log cabins than tropical suites (though they do add a fragrant smell), and furnishings are minimal.
- Varying rooms, from standard rooms far from beach to oceanfront suites
- Balconies with ocean or garden views
- 26-inch or larger flat-screen TVs
- Minibars with beer, champagne, wine, Dewar’s, Grey Goose, Bacardi, juice, soda, and snacks
- Large bathrooms with robes, slippers, and large soaking tubs
- No bedside alarm clocks
- Fee-based Wi-Fi
Rooms and Rates
All the features of a grand resort -- just on a smaller scale
- Spa with four treatment rooms and manicure station
- Small boutique selling beachwear, sunscreen, jewelry, sandals
- Large ocean-view pool with padded lounge chairs and two cabanas
- Modern fitness center
- Lighted tennis court
- Free self-parking
- Direct access to a narrow beach with rocky coastline and choppy current
- Beachfront/poolside restaurant, Fellini, serves gourmet Italian food
- Wine cellar and small bar
- Front desk is not open 24 hours
- View full list of amenities
|Things to Do||
Located on the Beach
Mini Bar (with liquor)
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
Smoking Rooms Available
|Address||Anse des Cayes 97133, Caribbean|