- Good views of the Santa Catalina Mountains
- Modern rooms have flat-screen TVs, iPod docks, and balconies or patios
- Huge, pretty pool complex with 5 pools and massive waterslide
- 3 renowned golf courses designed by Jack Nicklaus total 27 holes
- Red Door Spa is luxe and large, with 18 treatment rooms
- Several on-site dining options, including the Southwestern AZuL Restaurant
- Green practices, like energy efficient heating and cooling
- Daily resort fee (for self-parking, Wi-Fi, use of pool amenities and fitness center)
- Overnight valet parking fee
The massive Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa sits in full view of the towering Santa Catalina Mountains, so dramatic vistas can be spied from practically everywhere on the sprawling property. The 487 rooms and suites were renovated in 2013 and feature neutral-tone decor, flat-screen TVs, and balconies or patios. In addition to beautiful surroundings, this upscale resort offers numerous amenities that include three golf courses, five pools, and 10 tennis courts. A massive, 177-foot waterslide attracts families, while cavernous meeting spaces draw convention groups and business travelers.
- Fitness Center
- Kids Club
- Pets Allowed
This Hotel Also Featured In
Summer is here, which means you’re probably looking for some fun in the sun. For many travelers, that means a trip to the beach, but if you’re looking for the sunniest destinations in the United States, you’ll actually want to head away from the coasts. According to data from the World Meteorological Society, here are…
The swim-up bar at Hotel Blue in Myrtle Beach. When you’re on a warm-weather vacation, there’s something highly alluring about being able to order a cocktail poolside, but it’s even better if you can do so without ever leaving the pool. Enter the wonderful world of swim-up bars! We’ve discovered the best spots across the…
For many, traveling to a new destination means packing in as many things as possible into the daylight hours. To those folks, we say, there’s a lot more to be accomplished after the sun sets too. At least that’s what many hotels are thinking these days. In fact, accommodations around the world have started to…
If relaxing by a pool in a beautiful faraway destination isn’t enough to satisfy your vacation needs (you deserve only the best, after all), we have some good news for you. Word on the street is that hotel pools around the world are stepping up their game with bonus perks. (And no, we don’t mean…
As the weather starts to warm up, many of us are itching to strip off those winter layers and take a dip in the water. While any pool would likely put a smile on your face at this point, there are some spots worth a trip (and a long flight) to lounge poolside. This spring,…
Oyster Hotel Review
The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa
Sprawling resort that is packed with amenities and has views of the Santa Catalina Mountains
Guests staying at the Westin La Paloma would likely need several days to fully experience everything there is to do at this upscale resort. In addition to three Jack Nicklaus-designed golf courses and 10 tennis courts, there are five pools, a 177-foot waterslide, racquetball courts, the Red Door Spa, and several restaurants and lounges. The hotel has a modern, understated appeal with wood tones and desert-inspired finishings that attracts families, couples, and business travelers.
Of course, there’s also plenty of room to just chill out and relax. The sprawling resort encompasses a large swath of land near the foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains, which dominate the skyline in impressive fashion. The resort's developers made sure to emphasize the views from all over the property, making it easy to enjoy the stunning natural vistas from AZuL Restaurant or a lounge chair beside one of the pools.
With the hot climate of the Sonoran Desert, the resort's massive pool complex is a popular feature. It houses five pools, including a lap pool by the fitness center and a kiddy pool. There's a waterfall tumbling over native granite, a cold plunge, and a huge waterslide that’s a magnet for kids. Sabino’s is a swim-up pool bar that dispenses cold drinks while guests sit in the water. Family-friendly movies are shown poolside in the warm months, so that guests can watch from the water. The grounds are dotted with desert cacti and native trees that meld seamlessly with the surrounding natural landscape. Inside, a massive lobby features three-story windows that frame the Santa Catalinas above AZuL Restaurant.
In north Tucson, near the mountains
The La Paloma is located in north Tucson off East Sunrise Drive, in the foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains. Beyond the resort, there is little within easy walking distance. Self-parking is included in the daily resort fee, but overnight valet parking incurs extra charges.
It's important to realize that freeways are nonexistent in Tucson, save for I-10. Driving times can vary depending on time of day, as rush hour creates a twice-daily snarl on surface streets.
- 30-minute drive from Tucson International Airport
- 5-minute drive to the DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun
- 5-minute drive to La Encantada shopping area
- 15-minute drive to Sabino Canyon Recreation Area
- 20-minute drive to the The Center for Creative Photography at the University of Arizona
- 30-minute drive to Reid Park Zoo
- 30-minute drive to Pima Air and Space Museum
- 30-minute drive to Mission San Xavier del Bac
- 40-minute drive to Old Tucson Studios
- 40-minute drive to the Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum
- 75-minute drive to Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley
- 2-hour drive to Phoenix
Spacious, albeit bland rooms with earth-tone furnishings and balconies or patios, some with scenic views
The Westin La Paloma offers hundreds of spacious rooms housed in 27 low-rise buildings spread across the large property. Rooms and suites were last renovated in 2013. Decor is minimalist, with a neutral color scheme that features earthy desert colors and generic wood furnishings that could use an update. Westin's signature Heavenly Beds feature pillow-top mattresses, down comforters, and five pillows. Modern, yet understated bathrooms include double sink vanities, soaking tubs, and separate showers. Bathrobes and toiletries are provided. Outdoor entries and balconies come standard with all rooms.
- 42-inch flat-screen TVs with premium channels
- Wi-Fi access included in resort fee
- Safes are big enough for laptops
- iHome docking stations
- Headboards have LED reading lights
- Recycle bins
- Suites have double the space or more of standard rooms, and some may include private outdoor Jacuzzis and living room fireplaces
A massive pool complex with a huge waterslide, three Jack Nicklaus-designed golf courses, and a mix of 10 clay and hard tennis courts
- Huge pool complex with waterfall, massive waterslide, and five pools that includes one for children and one for adults only
- Three nine-hole golf courses designed by Jack Nicklaus feature stunning views and offer an adjacent pro shop
- Ten tennis courts that offer a mix of hard and clay court options, nighttime lighting available
- A solid fitness center that includes cardio equipment, weight machines, steam rooms, and racquetball courts
- Red Door Spa is luxe and large, with 18 treatment rooms, outdoor cabanas, and numerous spa and salon services available
- Westin Kids Club offers supervised activities, games, and arts and crafts for ages six months to 12 years
- Pro shops and gift shops sell everything from sportswear to handicrafts
- Massive amount of indoor and outdoor meeting space, with indoor event space encompassing 64,000 square feet
- View Full List of Amenities
All-Inclusive / Food
A few options, as well as room service
- AZuL Restaurant features views of the mountains and a Southwest-inspired menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The AZuL Lounge has Happy Hours and special theme nights on select weeknights. It is open nightly.
- Contigo Latin Kitchen serves a mix of South American and Spanish dishes for dinner.
- Sabino's Swim Up Bar & Grill serves burgers and ice cream daily by the main pool.
- The Courtside Deli is near the fitness center and tennis courts, offering sandwiches and casual fare for breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily.
- Country Club Patio, by the Pro Shop, serves casual American fare for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Espresso Cafe serves Starbucks coffee, Tazo tea, and snacks in the lobby.
- Room service is available nearly 24 hours.
Balcony / Terrace / Patio
Beauty / Hair Salon
Meeting / Conference Rooms
Mini Bar (with liquor)
Poolside Drink Service
Rental Car Service Desk Onsite
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
Supervised Kids Activities
Disclaimer: This content was accurate at the time the hotel was reviewed. Please check our partner sites when booking to verify that details are still correct.