- Not located on the beach
- Minimal staff (just a manager and housekeeper) maintains very limited hours
- Upper floors are not handicap-accessible
- Small pool
- No fitness center, restaurant, or spa
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
Low rates bring you close to Grace Bay, but this condo-hotel has few other selling points
There's not much scene to speak of at this 18-unit property, which is simply comprised of two buildings (each with nine condos), a small office, and a modest pool with nearby barbecue grill and picnic area. The office attendant, however, is exceedingly friendly, offering an old-fashioned guestbook for arrivals to sign and personally carrying luggage to the rooms.
Expectations will be met -- though probably not exceeded -- in the suites, which are both spacious and clean with simple yet comfortable furnishings and a few island-inspired details. Each features a balcony or terrace large enough for two lounge chairs and a four-person table; however, views might be a disappointment, as the property is not located on the beach and has a particularly underwhelming pool.
Amenities are not the Trade Winds' strong suit: it lacks a restaurant, fitness center, and spa. As such, travelers looking simply for a decently priced base while exploring the island -- not to mention the ability to cook at home and forgo pricey Providenciales restaurants -- will find the condo-hotel a decent deal. But those looking for more amenities and a modern room should try the Alexandra or Windsong Resort.
Less scenic locale a few minutes from the beach, surrounded by shopping and dining
The biggest strike against the Trade Winds Condotel is its lack of beachfront. Located a five-minute walk from Grace Bay, the property is one of few that have no beachfront claim at all (even the Reef Residences, for instance, manages to wedge a handful of umbrellas on the sand between the Windsong and Beaches resorts). What it does offer, however, is great proximity to a slew of restaurants and shops, all of which are within walking distance.
- 15-minute drive from Providenciales International Airport
- 5-minute walk to Grace Bay beach
- 5-minute walk to shopping and restaurants at Regent Village and Salt Mills shopping centers
- 10-minute walk to grocery store
- 5-minute drive to Provo Golf Club
- 10-minute drive to Smith's Reef for snorkeling
- 12-minute drive to the Caichos Conch Farm, the world's only conch farm
- 15-minute drive to Da Conch Shack and Rum Bar
More space for a fraction of the cost, but lacking some basic features
The Trade Winds Condotel's rooms are just about the largest you will find for the price on Providenciales. Each of its 18 suites is identical, and features beachy, if somewhat dated, decor, with light wooden furniture and muted floral patterns. Unique details include the bookshelves full of books, bronze and carved wood figurines, and decorative tiles, though some accents lean toward kitschy.
The all-white open-plan kitchens have everything you need to cook a full meal, and two dining areas -- one in the living room, the other on the balcony or terrace -- make dining in an attractive option.
- Furnished balconies or terraces with views of the modest-sized pool and surrounding landscape.
- Full kitchens featuring full-size stoves, ovens, and refrigerators, and a microwave, coffeemaker, and all pots, pans, and tableware needed for proper meals
- Poor water pressure in the walk-in shower (no bathtub)
- Bathroom toiletries are minimal, with just shampoo (no conditioner) and soap (no shower gel).
- 27-inch flat screen TVs in both the living room and bedroom
- Wall-mounted air conditioners
- Washer/dryers (but no laundry detergent)
- Ceiling fans in the living room, kitchen, and bedroom
- Pull-out sofa in the living room for additional guests
- Beds appear rather old, and pillows are lumpy and small.
- Floors are thin, with periodic noise coming from above units.
Rooms and Rates
Lack of a fitness center, restaurant, and spa make for a short list of amenities.
|Things to Do||
Located on the Beach
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
|Address||382 Grace Bay Road, BWI, Caribbean|
|Also Known As||