- Excellent central location, a two-minute walk from Dam Square
- All rooms include TVs and towels
- Rooms with private bathrooms available
- Noodle bar serving food and drinks on the ground floor
- Breakfast and bike rentals available (for a fee)
- Free Wi-Fi throughout
- Rooms can be cramped
- Steep and narrow stairs might pose a challenge for some
- Complaints about “drain smells” in the shower rooms
- No air-conditioning
- Wi-Fi connection can be spotty
- No common room or social area
Hotel Mevlana is a budget hotel with a hostel-style setup. Its 17 rooms are spread over four floors, and there's a noodle bar on the ground floor. Centrally located, the Mevlana is a six- to eight-minute walk from Central Station, while Dam Square is a three-minute walk away. Rooms with private baths accommodating two to eight people are available, along with dormitory rooms with bunk beds and shared bathroom facilities. All rooms come with TVs and towels, but they can be cramped, and breakfast comes with a fee. Travelers might want to also consider the 500-bed Hans Brinker Budget Hotel, which also has dorm and private rooms, and includes breakfast.
Oyster Hotel Review
Hostel-style vibe, popular with young budget travelers
Hotel Mevlana is located in a narrow brickwork building typical of Amsterdam, right in the center of the city. The ground floor is home to a small noodle restaurant and bar that looks out on the busy street. The hotel's reception counter is located at the back of the restaurant, and guests have to negotiate a narrow and steep stairway to the rooms on the three floors above. With only 17 rooms, the Mevlana is quieter than many other hostel-style properties, but it's still a place where budget travelers crash after a night of partying. And apart from the noodle bar, the hotel does not have any common areas where guests can gather and socialize. Hotel Mevlana draws mostly young budget travelers, especially friends traveling together.
Within walking distance of Central Station and Dam Square
Hotel Mevlana is located on a busy street behind Dam Square, about a six- to eight-minute walk from Central Station. The location is well-served by public transportation, with many bars, cafes, and restaurants nearby. Many tourist attractions, such as the Anne Frank House, the Royal Palace, and Amsterdam Museum are within walking distance.
- Three-minute walk to Dam Square
- Four-minute walk to Royal Palace
- Six- to eight-minute walk to Central Station
- Seven-minute walk to Amsterdam Museum
- Eight-minute walk to Anne Frank House
- 14-minute walk to Rembrandt House Museum
- Eight minutes to Jordaan neighborhood via public transportation
- 13 minutes to Rijks Museum via public transportation
- 14 minutes to Vondel Park via public transportation
- 17 minutes to Heineken Experience via public transportation
- 18 minutes to Van Gogh Museum via public transportation
- 32 minutes to Schiphol Airport by train
Clean but basic dorm and private rooms
The 17 rooms at Hotel Mevlana are well-maintained but spartan -- apart from the beds, there's no other furniture, and the dorm rooms can be cramped, with little space between the bunks. Some of the rooms have low ceilings, which make them seem even smaller. Rooms with private baths can accommodate two to eight people, and all rooms, including the dorms, come with TVs, bed linens, and towels, but they're not air-conditioned. The toilet and shower rooms are decked out in modern tiling and high-quality fixtures. Guests have complained about a “sewer smell” coming from the drains in the shower, and the lack of ladders between bunks.
Breakfast service, on-site snack and noodle bar, free Wi-Fi
This basic hostel-style hotel has few extras. Breakfast, which comes with a fee, is served in the downstairs restaurant every morning. The on-site snack and noodle bar serves meals and drinks throughout the day. Bike are also available to rent. Guests are welcome to leave their luggage at the reception area after check out (and before check in if necessary), and a safe is provided for guests' use. Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the hotel, but the connection can be spotty.
Balcony / Terrace / Patio
Meeting / Conference Rooms
Poolside Drink Service
Disclaimer: This content was accurate at the time the hotel was reviewed. Please check our partner sites when booking to verify that details are still correct.