- Basic accommodations for travelers on a budget
- Hands-down, the lowest price for the most space in the area
- Blocks from Gramercy Park and Union Square
- Free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs and work desks in rooms
- Toiletries and towels for shared bathrooms; most rooms have sinks
- Larger rooms have coffeemakers
- Charming neighborhood views from some rooms
- Decor and furnishings are very dated
- Patterned bedspreads may turn off modern travelers
- Shared bathrooms only
- No lobby or dining options (though not expected in this price range)
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
Not much else besides a place to drop the bags
A few guests can occasionally be found making use of the outdoor smoking area, but otherwise, it's easy to feel like the only person staying here. The lobby consists of a small front desk area for check-in, but guests don't spend time here. Though bathrooms are shared, there is rarely a wait. The low-key scene is safe and quiet; this is no more than a place to drop the bags and rest.
A posh, quiet residential area
Hotel 17 gets its name for its location: 17th Street, or East 17th to be precise. While Hotel 31 is better suited for those who require close proximity to Midtown, this slightly more downtown location would be more appropriate for those who want to be closer to the Union Square area and its many bars, restaurants, and shops. The L Train to Williamsburg, Brooklyn -- one of the trendiest neighborhoods in the city for dining and drinking -- is just two blocks away.
Basic accommodations are clean, but have outdated bedspreads
Though the building doesn't seem big, it surprisingly houses 150 rooms, which come with two double beds, one full bed, one queen bed, two twin beds or a mixture of the above. Well-worn furnishings, wallpapers and bedspreads are dated, and to some, ugly; travelers who are used to white duvet covers may have a hard time adjusting. There are two full (and clean) shared bathrooms for every seven rooms, and a wait is rare.
Rooms and Rates
Not much besides free Wi-Fi
Besides offering free Wi-Fi, early check-ins, baggage storage and neighborhood advice from the long-standing staff (many have worked here for over 18 years) the hotel lacks property features. Food, drink and even seating areas are nil! This is a place to bathe, change and sleep.
Transport to / from Hotel
|Address||225 East 17th Street, New York City, New York 10003, United States|