Atrium Beach Resort and SpaSimpson Bay, St. Martin/St. Maarten
Flights for this trip with Skyscanner.com
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
A small, contemporary hotel with a nice but crowded beach
Crammed rather claustrophobically on Billy Folly Road, just before the huge beach community along Pelican Key, The Atrium is a vertical mass smashed into the tight space behind the Greenhouse Restaurant. But pull up into the half-moon shaped drive and step into the glass-roofed lobby with bright light streaming in, and the mood quickly becomes one of serenity and peace. An ornate, almost Gothic-style chandelier appears suspended in thin air, dangling from the glass roof, and giant plants hang over colonial style furnishings, creating a garden-like environment and giving good reason for the “Atrium" moniker. (You'll also find a car rental desk and activities concierge here.)
The lobby is small, as is the property as whole. The 87 clean rooms, which include studios, one- and two-bedroom units, and a Penthouse, were renovated in late 2011 -- but that may not be obvious, as the decor is colorful but slightly tacky. In the studios, the layout is bizarre, with half of the kitchen on one wall and the other half practically on the other side of the room. Still, having a full kitchen -- including full-size stove and dishwasher -- is a plus.
The pool is a bit depressing, but this is a common occurrence in St. Maarten as most guests prefer the beach to a pool. Of course, the lack of interest in the pool might also have to do with the fact that it runs right up to a neighboring restaurant -- on one end, you’re close enough to reach onto someone’s plate for a taste of their food. On the beach, guests have their own lounge chairs and umbrellas, but there is no illusion of privacy here. Two neighboring restaurants also have their own beach set-ups, making for a rather crowded area. Nonetheless, Kimsha Beach is lovely, and a water sports pavilion with tons of kayaks and snorkeling is within arm's reach.
Additional features include Miguel’s Spa and Salon, which is surprisingly large for such a small property. Independently owned by the charming Miguel, you’ll find a full salon, manicure and pedicure room, a sauna, and several treatment rooms. Nearby is a small fitness center with a sufficient amount of equipment. There is no restaurant on-site, but the Greenhouse Restaurant next door offers all-day drink specials to Atrium guests. The Buckaneer Beach Bar, a cute open-air restaurant and bar with its own beach service, is nearby as well.
On a crowded portion of Simpson Bay, within walking distance of busy Airport Road’s restaurants and bars
Located directly on Simpson Bay’s Kimsha Beach, The Atrium Resort has the benefit of being just a stone’s throw from several beachfront restaurants and bars. A walk farther along Bill Folly Road leads to a larger beach community with several full-scale resorts, including Flamingo Beach Resort. As a result, you’ll find plenty more restaurants and beachfront areas. But both beaches here are quite crowded -- should you desire something more secluded, you’ll have to drive to the other side of Simpson Bay. Luckily, several lovely beaches like Cupecoy Beach and Mullet Bay on the Dutch side, and Baie Nettle and Baie Rouge on the French side, are all within a 20-minute drive.
Atrium’s location just off busy Airport Road is also beneficial for the close proximity to tons of restaurant, shops, bars, casinos, and a movie theater. A grocery store is a three-minute walk away, and plenty of the island’s popular hangouts (Topper’s, Jimbo’s, and Skip Jack’s) are all within walking distance. However, the main road is often packed with traffic, making driving even half a mile a 15-minute ordeal. So be sure to pad in plenty of extra time when arriving at your destination on time is important.
- 5-minute drive to Princess Juliana International Airport
- 1-minute walk to Kimsha beach on Simpson Bay
- 2-minute walk to the nearest grocery store
- 5-minute walk to Pelican Key
- 5-minute walk in either direction on Airport Road to great restaurants, cafes, shops, bars, and a pharmacy
- 10-minute walk to the movie theater
- 10-minute drive to Maho Reef shopping center with casinos, nightclubs, boutiques, restaurants, and bars
- 10-minute drive to Mullet Bay Golf Course
- 12-minute drive to Cupecoy Bay Beach
- 15-minute drive to Baie Nettle
- 20-minute drive to Philipsburg
Renovated in October of 2011, the rooms are bright, colorful, and clean
All of the resort’s 87 rooms were renovated in October 2011, though you might not realize it for lack of any exceptional design elements. Yes, there are flat-screen TVs and stainless steel appliances in the kitchens, but you would think that completely refurbished rooms would have something nicer than the typical white-square tile floors, run-of-the-mill light hotel furnishings, and cheap patio furniture.
Even more unexpected for updated rooms is the state of the shower/tub combos in the bathrooms -- stained tubs, mildewy fixtures, and yellowing grout are far from a modern refurbishment. Still, the full kitchens in every unit are a notable upside.
- Wall-mounted air conditioners operated by remote control
- All units have furnished balconies
- 22-inch or larger flat-screen TVs in all units; old tube TVs in most suite bedrooms
- Shower/tub combos in all bathrooms
- Full kitchens with full-size refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, sink, plenty of tableware and cookware, teakettle, microwave, toaster, blender, coffee maker, and dining table
- AM/FM radio alarm clocks
- Free Wi-Fi
- All couches in the suites fold out for additional guests
A handful of decent on-site amenities, plus several independent features so close, they may as well be part of the resort
- A small, barren pool with shallow area for the kids is empty most of the day.
- Expansive sundeck with views of the beach
- Direct beach access with guest-only lounge chairs and umbrellas
- A small fitness center with basic equipment
- An independently owned water sports center right next to the resort’s beach entrance
- A spa with steam room, mani/pedi room, full-service salon, and several treatment rooms (including a couples treatment room)
- Free secure gated parking
- Free Wi-Fi throughout
- On-site car rentals and activities desk
- One computer station with free Internet in the lobby
- Daily drink specials for guests at neighboring Greenhouse Restaurant
- A small library in the lobby
- View Full List of Amenities
Customers Who Viewed Atrium Beach Resort and Spa Also Viewed
Things You Should Know About Atrium Beach Resort and Spa
AddressBilly Folly Rd 6, PO Box 1115, Simpson Bay, Caribbean
Also Known As
- The Atrium Beach Resort & Spa, a Festiva Resort
- One Bedroom Unit
- Three Bedroom Penthouse
- Two Bedroom Unit