- Affordable king and twin bed options
- Rooms have air conditioners and flat-screen TVs
- Great location close to restaurants, nightclubs, and the airstrip
- Action-packed sports pub and pizzeria
- A small outdoor pool with lounge chairs
- Rentals available for golf carts, bikes, and diving gear
- Arrangements for discounted day trips and activities
- A Poker Club with food and drink discounts
- An international, hostel-like atmosphere (a con for some!)
- Rooms and bathrooms are barebones
- Wi-Fi, though free, is unreliable in some areas
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
Best suited for low-maintenance budget travelers looking for fun
Pedro's delivers a sense of adventure upon arrival: Guests must travel by foot or golf cart on San Pedro's gravel side roads (which can flood during the rainy season) to reach the hotel. Guests can check in at the office next to the sports pub during the day; at night, they may need to rally someone behind the bar for a key.
The hotel has two main buildings across the road from each other. Shared, hostel-style rooms are situated above the pub, while private rooms across the road have less late-night noise. A colorful picket fence lines the white building housing the private rooms, and two wooden staircases lead to the second and third floor hallways. This area of the hotel can often feel desolate, as many guests usually only head to their rooms to sleep.
The pub across the street, however, is usually hopping. There's an outdoor pool table and band area for live music, while the inside is adorned with flags, sports memorabilia, and a wall of Jagermeister bottles. Drinks and pizza are served to a lively mix of travelers and locals exchanging stories.
A central location in San Pedro, on the island of Ambergris Caye
Pedro's Hotel is located on a gravel road near the hub of San Pedro, which is the center of activity on Ambergris Caye, the largest island in Belize. The main mode of transportation is by golf cart or foot (though taxi companies operate mini-vans). To reach San Pedro, guests can book flights from Belize International Airport to San Pedro airstrip, or take the cheaper water taxis from Belize City.
Travelers are mostly drawn to Ambergris Caye for the world-class diving and snorkeling at Belize Barrier Reef, about half a mile off shore. San Pedro is filled with friendly locals and expats, and most of the island's restaurants, nightclubs, and tour operators can be found here. Those staying in hotels on the north side of the island are about a 15-minute water taxi ride away from the action.
- 5-minute walk to the center of town
- 3-minute drive or 12-minute walk to San Pedro airport
- 15-minute flight, or around 1-hour-15-minutes by water taxi to Belize City
Affordable, barebones rooms, either shared or private
Pedro's Hotel has shared, hostel-style rooms above the bar, or 32 private (and still low-priced) rooms in a separate, three-story building across the street. The private rooms are nearly identical, but guests can choose between a twin bed option or a "king bed" option that consists of two twins pushed together, which is common in many European and Central American hotels. Rooms, though bare, do come equipped with air conditioners and flat-screen TVs. Small windows do not allow for much natural light, and LED lights can be an eyesore against wood paneled walls. Beds are dressed with simple white sheets (no comforters, but extra blankets are provided), and the lone splash of color comes from blue towels. There is a small sink in the living room, while bathrooms contains nothing more than a toilet and a small stall shower containing a bar of soap.
- Air conditioners
- Flat-screen TVs
- Cable television
- Showers stalls
- Free Wi-Fi, though it is unreliable in some areas
Rooms and Rates
A small outdoor bean-shaped pool near the main office
Pedro's outdoor pool, located in a raised wooden deck behind the main office, is easy to overlook. There's nothing to write home about here -- it's a small and bean-shaped, and surrounded by a few lounge chairs. There are free floats and kayaks for use, but the deck itself could use more sweeping and maintenance.
The hotel does pizza, and does it well.
Pedro's Sports Pub and Pizzeria keeps things simple by offering pizza and few different pasta dishes. But it has a reputation in town as serving the best pizza on the island, and draws locals, as well. Orders are called out from behind the bar.
For additional dining options, the center of San Pedro is a few blocks away and offers authentic cafes and seafood restaurants for all budgets.
A small but helpful staff can arrange transportation and activities
The front desk is situated next to the bar and pool area. A lean team of staff, including Peter, the owner, can often be found here for any questions. If the office is closed, guests should go to the pub for assistance.
- Airport transfers
- Arrangements for discounted day trips, tours, and activities
- Golf cart rentals
- Bike rentals
- Scuba gear rentals
- Free Wi-Fi (though spotty in areas)
- Laundry services
This small hotel offers fun ways to stay entertained, especially at night
- Pedro's Sports Pub & Pizzeria is abuzz on most nights, and offers daily drink specials and events.
- Games include an outdoor pool table, foosball, and Nintendo Wii
- Weekly events such as Trivia Thursdays
- An outdoor area offers live music on certain nights
- Pedro's Poker Room holds No Limit Texas Hold 'Em tournaments and cash games
- Two big TVs with HD Satellite for sporting events
Belize is a peaceful and friendly nation with fewer than 400,000 residents. The hotel is located in San Pedro and offers 24-hour security, but guests should exercise caution, especially at night when the pub closes. No inoculations are required by the Government of Belize, but it's a good idea to check with your local physician for medical advice prior to traveling in the region.
Transport to / from Hotel
Supervised Kids Activities
|Things to Do||
Gameroom / Arcade
|Address||Seagrape Drive, San Pedro, Belize Cayes, Belize|
|Phone||011 (501) 226-3825|