La Playa Orient BayOrient Bay, St. Martin/St. Maarten
Flights for this trip with Skyscanner.com
Oyster Hotel Photos
- 26 Amenities
- 24 Beach
- 91 Deluxe Junior Suite
- 88 Garden View Double Junior Suite
- 54 Pool
- 18 Restaurants and Bars
Oyster Hotel Review
Charming staff and lush grounds, though amenities are few and some areas are unkempt
There's something intangible about La Playa Orient Bay that makes it feel hip and trendy, despite a slightly run-down pool, rumpled cabanas, and few on-site features beyond the small open-air restaurant that only serves breakfast. Perhaps it is the young, French staff with a friendly attitude, or the reception's distinctive design quirks, such as oversize tree branches and a gazebo filled with cream-colored couches. Whatever the reason, what could easily turn out to be an average Orient Bay hotel manages to have a charming, free-spirited flair that self-sufficient couples and young families may enjoy.
The grounds are similar to those at so many other Orient Bay Hotels, featuring colorful Creole buildings in hues of pink, yellow, and turquoise amid flourishing palms, bougainvillea, and yellow allamanda flowers. Finding distinguishing characteristics that make it a better pick than the others, however, is a bit of a challenge. The pool is worn, and sadly, the thing that could have given La Playa Orient Bay its edge -- a fitness center -- has been shuttered.
Guests who follow a small path through the resort grounds will end up at La Playa Beach Restaurant along Orient Bay. Renovated in October 2011, the beach complex includes a sprawling restaurant, spa, and boutique, and free beach set-up for hotel guests. Guests can also charge their meals and other services at La Playa (and a handful of other Orient Bay restaurants) directly to their rooms, providing quite a few more resort-style features for this low-on-amenities hotel.
Within walking distance to one of St. Martin's prettiest beaches, in an upscale gated community on the island's French side
Located just a short walk from the lovely white-sand Orient Bay, guests at La Playa Orient Bay have quick access to water sport rental shops, restaurants, bars, and massage huts right at the water's edge. The happening scene, pristine sand, and cerulean crashing waves are a major island draw, and all are within five minutes on foot. Take note: In true French spirit, the beach is clothing-optional.
The Orient Bay location is also attractive for its safety and well-manicured grounds. Monitored by a security gate off the main road, the area is ideal for families and solo travelers. When you do choose to head outside Orient Bay, keep in mind that the island tends to have quite a bit of traffic, so be sure to add extra minutes to your estimated travel time when promptness is important.
- 30-minute drive to Princess Juliana International Airport
- 2-minute walk to Orient Bay Beach
- 2-minute walk to restaurants, shops, bars, and cafés in Orient Bay
- 5-minute drive to the Butterfly Farm
- 10-minute drive to Boulevard Grand Case
- 12-minute drive to Dawn Beach
- 15-minute drive to Loterie Farm, a nature retreat with tours and zip lining
- 15-minute drive to Marigot
- 15-minute drive to Fort Louis
- 15-minute drive to Philipsburg
Hawaiian-style rooms with garden-view balconies, bamboo furnishings, and kitchenettes
La Playa Orient Bay's 56 rooms all feature terraces or balconies that face the hotel's simple garden filled with palm trees, stray cats, and colorful picnic benches.
Inside, the look is bright and airy, with island-style bamboo furnishings and white walls. Kitchenettes are decently equipped with two-stove burners, microwaves, teakettles, coffeemakers, mini-fridges, and just enough cookware and tableware.
However, the layout feels rather piecemeal at times, with the galley-style kitchen located in the entry hallway and hidden by a couple of sliding-mirror doors. The bathroom configuration in the Double Rooms is quite odd, with the toilet completely separated behind another door off the hallway -- almost like a broom closet. And in the Deluxe Rooms, a massive soaking tub with a hand shower is your only bathing option -- there is no proper shower.
- Bathrooms feature soaking tubs with hand showers or stall showers only, bidets (in some units), wall-mounted blow dryers, and Hydro Basics toiletries.
- Balconies with garden views
- Kitchenettes have mini-fridges, sinks, two-burner stovetops, microwaves, teakettles, coffeemakers, toasters, and tableware.
- Central AC
- 27-inch flat-screen TVs
A small neglected pool, breakfast-only restaurant, and lush grounds
- A large private garden with palm trees and picnic tables
- A small pool with a few cabana-style gazebos and tattered lounge chairs
- Direct access to the beach via La Playa Beach Restaurant, which features a varied menu for breakfast and lunch (until 6 p.m.)
- Free beach set-up of lounge chair and umbrella at La Playa
- Massage treatments available at La Playa's beachfront hut
- Free Wi-Fi in the lobby, pool, and at La Playa
- A breakfast-only on-site cafe, Madras, next to the pool
- Free daily continental breakfast
- Barbecue events at the pool on Thursday and Monday evenings
- Nice partnership program with area restaurants allows guests to charge meals to their rooms
- Beer, sodas, and bottled water for purchase in the lobby
- Free parking
- Free beach towels (changed daily)
- View Full List of Amenities
Customers Who Viewed La Playa Orient Bay Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
Things You Should Know About La Playa Orient Bay
Address116 Parc de la Baie Orientale, BP 5146, Orient Bay 97071, Caribbean
Also Known As
- L'Hoste Hotel
- Standard Bamboo Room
- Standard Garden Room
- Tropical Bamboo Room
- Tropical Garden Room