- Limited dining and nightlife in the immediate area
- Fitness center is in a windowless room.
- Parking is valet-only
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
At the Hilton Garden Inn, business travelers and conventioneers keep the helpful staff busy during the week, while families pack the house on the weekends, eager to take advantage of the hotel's proximity to the White House and the National Mall (both just a short, two- to five-block walk away). Though this 300-room property doesn't offer the most memorable hotel experience, the Hilton Garden Inn wins big points for its location, modest lap pool, solid business center with three PCs and a printer that can sync up to hand-helds and laptops for in-room printing, and its stylish guestrooms which received an overhaul in 2012.
Guest rooms were renovated in 2012. Comfortable and very clean -- not to mention stylish. Gone is the drab furniture and linens of yesteryear. Though the hotel has opted to keep the previous TV and cooking cabinets (the latter home to the mini fridge and microwave, as well as space to store silver and flatware), everything else is new. The carpets, wallpaper, window treatments, beds, chairs and writing desks are much improved. The rooms feel brighter and much more modern, with clean lines and a white, grey, and taupe color palate. The rooms are also very spacious -- averaging 375 square feet, they are larger than the average standard rooms in D.C. -- and they offer the option of either two double beds or one king-size bed, plus a few extra conveniences that work well for families like a mini-fridge and a microwave. There's also a 32-inch, flat-screen TV with HBO, free Wi-Fi, and Neutrogena bath products.
The on-site restaurant, Grist Mill Restaurant, offers tasty options for breakfast and dinner at decent prices. The restaurant cooks up the room service, only available for breakfast and dinner. Guests can also opt to buy frozen meals at the hotel's Pavilion Pantry, a convenience store, to heat up in their room's microwave.
While the Hilton is a solid option, there are several comparative hotels in the area worth a look-see. The Four Points Sheraton (a few blocks away) offers comfortable, up-to-date rooms and a more pleasent indoor pool for about the same rate. Or for a solid business hotel that's slightly removed from the high-rise offices downtown and closer to Dupont Circle's restaurants and shops, the Doubletree Hotel or the Courtyard by Marriott on Embassy Row are both great options. In any case, since so many of these properties are neck and neck with one another in terms of service, features, and rooms, it's best to just compare rates before booking and opt for the cheapest.
In the center of downtown D.C., just two blocks from the White House
The Hilton Garden Inn is located on 14th and I Street, a fairly quiet block in the business district in downtown D.C. The immediate area doesn't offer much nightlife -- and most of the restaurants here close just as soon as the office workers head back to their homes -- but the hotel is a five- to 10-minute walk to the White House, the National Mall, and the Smithsonian Museums.
- Across the street from the McPherson Square Metro subway station, which services both the Blue and Orange Lines; just a 10-minute ride to both Capitol Hill and the Smithsonian.
- Just two blocks, or a five-minute walk, to the White House
- Less than a 10-minute walk to the National Mall
- 15-minute walk to the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, and other sites on the National Mall.
- 10-minute walk to the Walter E. Washington Convention Center
- Seven blocks, or a 15-minute walk, to Dupont Circle's restaurants and shops
- Union Station, D.C.'s main train station served by Amtrak and commuter rails, is less than 10 minutes away by Metro
- 20 minutes by taxi to Reagan National Airport
- 45 minutes by taxi to Dulles International Airport
Rooms and Rates
|Things to Do||
Mini Bar (with liquor)
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
Smoking Rooms Available
|Address||815 14th St., NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia 20005, United States|
|Also Known As||