- Paid business center; no free in-room Internet
- Valet parking only, for a fee
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
In a cool historic building with a fun terrace bar and decent dining options
The InterContinental occupies a restored historic building three blocks from Austin's Capitol building in the heart of the city's business and entertainment district. As such, it caters largely to business travelers (which makes it surprising to know the business center is fee-based).
The lobby is highlighted by its old-style front desk featuring wooden cubbyholes and a grand staircase leading to the second-floor meeting spaces. There are several seating areas graced with portraits of local historical figures to add extra historic charm. The Club InterContinental and Roaring Fork provide the ground floor dining options. The latter is well-regarded among Austinites and visitors alike. The Club InterContinental is where "the suits" gather to talk business over a meal.
The second floor overlooks the lobby and is the site of adjoining meeting spaces and one of Austin's best patio bars, Stephen F's Bar & Terrace. There is indoor seating as well, but the view over adjacent streets and toward the Capitol from the patio usually keeps patrons outside.
Rooms were renovated in 2013. Stylish and comfortable, they feature flat-screen TVs and excellent beds. A warm color palate of deep reds, cream, and dark wood give the space a cozy ambiance, and accent wallpaper provides historical character.
In the heart of downtown Austin close to historical attractions and entertainment
The InterContinental Stephen F. Austin is close to the action in downtown Austin and located on one of the city's most historical streets. (Congress Avenue lies at the core of Austin's fabled history.) From here, it's just a block to the bustling Sixth Street entertainment district or a couple of blocks to the Austin Warehouse district. The State Capitol is just three blocks away.
This part of town is flanked by numerous hi-rise office buildings, but is also in close proximity to Austin's vibrant nightlife scene.
- 20-minute drive to Austin Bergstrom International Airport
- 5-minute walk to Sixth Street entertainment district
- 5-minute walk to the Texas State Capitol
- 10-minute walk to Congress Avenue Bridge, home to the largest urban bat colony in North America
- 10-minute walk to 2nd Street entertainment district
- 12-minute walk to Austin City Limits at The Moody Theater
- 5-minute drive to Frank Erwin Center
- 6-minute drive to Blanton Museum of Art
- 7-minute drive to Mike A. Myers Stadium
- 7-minute drive to LBJ Presidential Library
Comfortable and stylish, with historical character
Renovated in 2013, the rooms at the InterContinental are stylish and comfortable. A cozy ambiance is created by a warm color palate of deep reds, creams, and dark woods. Accent walls provide historical character and interest. Amenities are solid, including comfortable beds and flat-screen TVs. Some of the standard rooms face uninteresting views of a neighboring building. The bathrooms are clean, but leave something to be desired with nothing more than a wash basin and no countertop.
- Small standard rooms
- Comfortable beds with pillowtop mattress and feather duvet
- Mini bar, CD player alarm clock, coffee maker with free coffee
- Fee for Wi-Fi
Rooms and Rates
There's plenty of meeting space on the second floor, though the pool and fitness center are unfortunately located in the basement.
Guests booking a room on the Club InterContinental floor or at Club InterContinental rate enjoy access to Club InterContinental Lounge, with free breakfast buffet, free snacks, Wi-Fi, and check-in privileges. The Club InterContinental is located on the first floor next to the front desk.
Well-regarded restaurants and bars popular with locals and visitors alike
- Roaring Fork, a Western-style bistro and bar, is open for lunch and dinner
- Stephen F.’s Bar & Terrace features a wrap-around, second-story patio with Capitol views, and serves light fare; also has a selection of fine cigars
- Club InterContinental serves free breakfast and snacks for select guests with access
- Room service until late
Transport to / from Hotel
Rental Car Service Desk Onsite
|Things to Do||
Mini Bar (with liquor)
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
|Address||701 Congress Avenue, Austin, Texas 78701, United States|