- Quiet villas with one to two bedrooms
- Lovely beach setting along Placencia Peninsula
- 2 outdoor pools with sea views
- Beachside restaurant serving tasty Belizean and American fare
- Outdoor bar, plus a picnic area with stainless steel grills
- Easy access to town; golf cart rentals available
- Private patios, spacious kitchens, and washer/dryer units
- Free use of kayaks and bikes
- Concierge service for activities and day tours
- Free Wi-Fi
- Decor between the villas varies
- Some bedrooms and bathrooms lack natural light
- Few water sports available on-site
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
The villas draw a private, do-it-yourself crowd, though many resort amenities are offered
Chabil Mar, opened in 2005, is a low-key villa property that attracts a do-it-yourself crowd. The spacious villas have one to two bedrooms, making them particularly popular with families, and are located in a series of two-story buildings, separated by flagstone paths and tropical shrubs. (The landscaping around the resort is a source of pride and the groundskeepers take good care.) The buildings themselves, featuring white stucco walls and wooden decks, are identical, so it's easy to get turned around on the first day.
Chic, beach-y decor touches can be found at the restaurant, lounge, and pier. Many guests keep to themselves, but the common spaces make the property feel more like a resort. After dark, quiet voices can be heard from those enjoying a late night swim or beverage.
A quiet beach setting with easy access to the village of Placencia
Chabil Mar is located along the 26-mile-long Placencia Peninsula in southeastern Belize. It sits between a true Garinagu settlement and the former Creole fishing village of Placencia, which features restaurants and shops. Those arriving to Belize International Airport will want to arrange a domestic flight into Placencia. Staff members at Chabil Mar will arrange for transfers via golf cart.
To the east of the property is the Caribbean Sea -- home of the Belize Barrier Reef, a UNESCO World Heritage site (also the second largest barrier reef in the world.)
- 5-minute walk to Placencia Lagoon
- 2-minute drive to the Placencia Airstrip Terminal
- 4-minute drive or 32-minute walk to the village of Placencia
- 90-minute drive to Dangriga
- 2-hour drive to Monkey River
- 2.5-hour drive to Punta Gorda
- 3-hour drive to Belize City
One- and two-bedroom villas (some with lofts) come with spacious kitchens and private patios
Each of the 22 spacious units is individually owned, and the decor varies between units. Some have outlandish touches that may not appeal to everyone. All of units offer fully equipped kitchens, as well as spacious living areas with flat-screen TVs and oversized couches. Some kitchens contain stainless steel appliances, while second-floor units have pitched ceilings accented with wood beams. The largest villas come with a loft that creates a third bedroom, though they are accessed by ladders that seem more decorative than functional.
- Private patios and terraces
- Fully equipped kitchens
- 400-thread-count linens
- Ceiling fans
- Turkish bathrobes
- Eco-friendly bath products
- Flat-screen TVs and DVD players
- Washer/dryer units
Rooms and Rates
Clean white sand, comfortable lounge chairs, and the Caribbean Sea
The beach along Placencia Peninsula is known for fine white sand and calm blue water. Due to rain, the summer season may bring seaweed wash, but the groundskeepers (four full-time staff members) clean the beach daily. (Seaweed is also a problem in Belize because of the barrier reef, which blocks stronger ocean waves.) Guests can swim in waist-deep water for several feet before it gets deep.
Next to the beach on a wood deck are steps that lead to the outdoor Café Mar restaurant. There is a chic little lounge area decorated with white and blue cushions that is a romantic spot for cocktails.
Two separate pools with views
Chabil Mar has two pools, both offering scenic views of the sea. The main pool is rectangular and sits behind the Café Mar restaurant, while the smaller bean-shaped pool is closer to the bar. We didn't spot any staff members taking food and drink orders from pool loungers, but guests can walk to the bar or restaurant to make orders.
Spacious villas are great for families
- Each villa has a fully equipped kitchen and furnished patio for easy cooking and outdoor meals. The on-site restaurant also serves great food, including children's options, which can also be ordered for room service.
- Villas have one to two bedrooms, and some units have a third bedroom located in a loft setting, though ladders are more decorative than functional.
- The Caribbean Sea has calm waves and a shallow shore for kids.
- Bike, kayak, and golf cart rentals available
- The front desk staff can arrange tours and activities with children in mind.
Each villa contains a spacious kitchen, and the outdoor restaurant serves both Belizean and American fare
The outdoor restaurant, Café Mar, serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Guests can order Belizean favorites, including locally caught seafood, as well as simpler American fare at the restaurant's wooden outdoor tables or attached beachside lounge. Room service is also available. Romantic dining options can be arranged, such as a table for two at the end of the pier.
- Guests can stock their kitchens with groceries from the nearby village (or have the staff arrange delivery) and then cook meals in privacy. Private patios are furnished with outdoor tables and chairs.
- Guests can also cook outside at one of the stainless steel grills and have a picnic at one of the seating areas near the property's bar.
- Guests can walk, bike or take a golf cart to the nearby village of Placencia to explore the local dining scene.
- Neighboring Turtle Inn offers gourmet dining.
The bar serves drinks in an open-air setting, and at various spots around the resort
Near the picnic and barbeque area is the resort's outdoor bar, with a range of liquors, wines, and local beer. Guests can pull up a bar stool and enjoy a drink at the source for music and conversation with other guests, or request cocktail delivery to anywhere on the resort. The bar stays open until 10 p.m. daily, and there are happy hour specials in the early evening. Drinks can be ordered to the villas as well.
Airport transfers, grocery delivery, and golf cart rentals
- Airport transfers
- Day trips, tours, and activities that can be arranged by the resort
- Golf cart rentals
- Grocery delivery to villas
- Toiletries, gifts and souvenirs available
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the resort
Free bikes and kayaks for guest use, and a friendly staff to arrange off-site tours
- Swimming for all ages in the Caribbean Sea or at the two outdoor pools
- Placencia is bike-friendly, and the area can be explored using the free bike rentals near the lobby.
- Sea kayaks are available on the beach for free use.
- Staff members are available to arrange off-site activities and day tours including scuba diving, snorkeling, and trips to Mayan ruins.
Romance and Honeymoons
A casual beach setting to sit back and enjoy a romantic break
Though the multi-bedroom villas attract families, couples and honeymooners can be found staying at Chabil Mar as well. Despite the presence of young ones, Chabil Mar stays peaceful, and lounge areas surrounding the beach are chic. Guests can take drinks out to loungers on the pier or near the beach without having to barter for space.
In the morning, beautiful sunrises can be viewed at the beach and from some of the villas. In the evenings, Café Mar switches to white tablecloths, and the menu features local fare, such as grilled lobster. For a night on the town, guests can rent a golf cart and head the short distance to the village of Placencia for dinner.
A scenic spot for destination weddings, feautring a helpful staff
Destination weddings are welcome at Chabil Mar, and staff members will work with the wedding party to assist with the arrangements, including paperwork. The beach and pier facing the Caribbean Sea are popular spots for ceremonies. Receptions can include drinks on the beach and sit-down dinners with candles and tablecloths at Cafe Mar. Small weddings can take place among other guests, or larger parties can book the entire resort. All-inclusive wedding packages are available and include airfare from Belize International Airport.
Like many resorts in Belize, Chabil Mar remains committed to sustainability.
- Each villa is provided with eco-friendly bath products.
- There is LED lighting throughout the resort's interior and exterior.
- Chabil Mar is affiliated with Project Planet, an initiative in the hospitality industry that encourages linen and towel reuse.
Renovations and Upkeep
Open since 2005, Chabil Mar receives regular maintenance and annual upgrades
- Each October, Chabil Mar closes its doors to complete annual maintenance and upgrades to the units and property, rather than trying to perform them during operation.
- Four full-time groundskeepers attend to the beaches and gardens on a daily basis.
- Two full-time maintenance staff members handle emergencies and repairs.
Not suitable for those with mobility issues
The resort is located in a safe and scenic area of Placencia Peninsula, next to Turtle Inn and close to the village.
Belize is a peaceful and friendly nation with fewer than 400,000 residents. The villas are located along the eastern side of the Placencia Peninsula next to Turtle Inn (just a few miles from town), and is considered safe. Guests at Chabil Mar can walk along the beach or bike to the village, but they should exercise caution, especially at night. No inoculations are required by the Government of Belize, but it's a good idea to check with your local travel doctor for medical advice prior to traveling in the region.
Transport to / from Hotel
Supervised Kids Activities
|Things to Do||
Located on the Beach
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
|Address||Placencia Road, Placencia, Stann Creek, Belize|
|Phone||011 (501) 523-3606|