- Across the street from Central Park, on Fifth Avenue
- All rooms have unique decor, king beds, and marble bathrooms
- Some rooms have great park and city views
- Suites have kitchenettes and up to two bedrooms
- Discounts for renowned, adjacent Harry Cipriani restaurant
- Small but well-equipped fitness center
- On-site hair salon and barber shop
- Free Wi-Fi, water and sodas
- Fee for valet parking
- Courtyard Rooms are a little dark and face an interior courtyard
- No spa (but in-room massages available)
- Common spaces shared with permanent residents
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
A stately hotel full of old-world charm
The Sherry-Netherland is the type of luxury hotel where white-gloved elevator operators greet guests by their name, and hand-woven French carpets muffle the sound of steps in the hallways. The marble, vaulted lobby modeled after the Vatican Library can feel a little intimidating, and the hushed and exclusive vibe is certainly not for everyone -- but those looking for a unique boutique with large rooms, classic elegant decor, and top-notch service will probably not be disappointed.
Opened in 1927 as the world’s largest apartment building --and now affiliated with Preferred Hotels & Resorts -- hotel guests share space with the residents of a number of private apartments. Both guests and owners have access to the same amenities -- including the small but well-equipped fitness center, and the hair salon and barbershop -- but the common areas never feel crowded, as there are only 100 units total.
While rooms are large (especially for New York) and can fit several guests, the hotel is not particularly geared towards families. The vibe here is formal and quiet, and hand-painted ornaments and unique in-room antiques are not quite kid-friendly. However, it is well suited to couples looking to splurge or celebrating a special occasion.
Right on Central Park and Fifth Avenue
Located across from Central Park on Fifth Avenue, the Sherry-Netherland is on the southern border of the Upper East Side. It's an excellent base for exploring the shopping along Fifth Avenue -- from the famous Tiffany & Co. to high-end flagships like Gucci and Versace. To the right on Fifth Avenue lies luxury department store Bergdorf Goodman, and across the avenue, past the famous Pulitzer Fountain, sits the splashy Midtown Apple flagship. Excellent, typically pricey, cuisine is always within walking distance, but nightlife is scarce. However, subway access is ample, making it easy to venture anywhere in the city. It's also a fairly safe neighborhood, although it empties out at night.
- 45-minute drive from LaGuardia Airport
- 45-minute drive from Newark Airport
- 1-hour drive from JFK Airport
- Across the street from three subway lines, and within 3 blocks of four others
- 9-minute walk to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
- 11-minute walk to the Frick Collection
- 15-minute walk to Lincoln Center
- 17-minute walk to Times Square
- 9-minute subway ride to Bryant Park and the New York Public Library
- 10-minute subway ride to Grand Central
- 13-minute subway ride to the Empire State Building
- 22-minute subway ride to SoHo
- 4-minute drive to the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- 6-minute drive to the Guggenheim Museum
Large rooms with classic decor and high-tech amenities
There are four room types at the Sherry-Netherland: City View and Courtyard Rooms, and City View and Courtyard Suites. The only difference between the city and courtyard units is the view and the amount of light they get, but amenities are the same in all accommodations. All rooms have unique decor, and the style is elegant and classic throughout, with a few antiques here and there, non-working fireplaces, and tons of upscale details. Bathrooms vary in size and style, but most are palatial, with decadent touches full of old-world charm, and marble fixtures.
- King beds in all rooms
- Large flat-screen TVs
- iPod docks
- Keurig coffeemakers
- Minibars with free soft drinks and water
- Free Wi-Fi
- Great freebies, including Wi-Fi, coffee, tea, local calls, sodas and bottles water
- Gilchrist & Soames toiletries
- Some suites have wet bars or kitchenettes.
- City View Rooms feature stunning views of Fifth Avenue and Central Park.
- Courtyard Rooms face an interior courtyard.
- In-room massages available on request
Rooms and Rates
Small but equipped with up-to-date machines
The hotel offers access to a small fitness center in the basement. It doesn’t have natural light, but it features a wide array of up-to-date machines, including treadmills, weightlifting equipment, and exercise bikes.
- Free bottled water
- Free use of towels
Guests get discounted prices at world-famous Harry Cipriani restaurant, adjacent to the hotel.
The adjacent restaurant, Harry Cipriani, is one of the most prominent restaurants in New York, and its wonderful outposts in cities such as Hong Kong, Istanbul and Abu Dhabi have made it famous around the world. It serves high-end Venetian food, and has a famous cocktail menu. There is no door connecting the hotel and the restaurant, but guests staying at the Sherry-Netherland get discounts at Cipriani, which also offers room service.
An on-site barbershop and hairdresser, concierge services, and valet parking
Transport to / from Hotel
Supervised Kids Activities
|Things to Do||
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
|Address||781 Fifth Avenue, At 59th Street, New York City, New York 10022, United States|