- Rooms have thin walls and small, dated bathrooms
- Minimum stay required on special weekends
- Old tube TVs
- Rooms facing the street can encounter street noise
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
Quaint and charming historic inn
The Christopher Dodge House was built in 1858, and served as private mansion for the Dodge family until it was converted to an apartment building in 1901.
Today, the building retains much of its original charm (thanks to careful restoration), such as the tall tin-capped ceilings and marble fireplace mantels. Early American antique-replica furnishings create a homey feel in the lobby, where a traditional wood-burning stove provides comfort in cold months, allowing guests to gather round and pretend they've stepped back in time.
Short walk to the State House
Located on a residential street across from Route 95, the Christopher Dodge House is a short walk away from the State House and the Providence Place Mall.
Providence has always been a bit like Boston’s little sister. When it came to East Coast cities, it was always a question of “Boston or New York?” for travelers.
However, that has started to change over the years. Providence is coming into its own. The capital of the smallest state in the country, Providence is densely populated and chock full of interesting things to see and do, such as the Riverwalk, historic buildings dating back to pre-revolutionary times, and the oldest Baptist church in America. Not to mention, it’s an easily walkable city. Of course, those used to a grid system may get a little lost walking the streets of Providence, which seem to have no rhyme or reason to the way they run.
Downtown, there are plenty of galleries, shops, restaurants, clubs, and bars to keep the average vacationer happy. Lupo’s Heartbreak Hotel and the Providence Performing Arts Center are a couple of notable spots. Every summer, don’t miss the spectacle of WaterFire -- 100 bonfires are lit just above the surface of the water on the three rivers that pass through downtown.
And for prospective college students, Brown, Johnson and Wales, and RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) are right in the downtown area.
Rhode Island Public Transit Authority provides trolley service to downtown Providence, and bus service across Rhode Island for those who are coming without a car, although if you’re not planning to stay in Providence only (i.e., day trips to Newport, RI), a car can be helpful.
- 15-minute drive to T.F. Green Airport
- 60-minute drive to Boston Logan Airport
- 6-minute walk to State House
- 8-minute walk to Providence Place Mall
- 10-minute walk to Amtrak Station in the Capital Centre Project
- 15-minute walk to The Roger Williams Park with a zoo, planetarium, carousel, and lake
- 15-minute walk to Rhode Island Convention Center
- 45-minute drive to Newport, RI
- 80-minutes on public transportation to Boston (take the Commuter Rail from South Station to Providence, then 10-minute walk from the Amtrak Station)
Bright rooms without a lot of clutter
With natural hard wood floors and lots of natural light, the overall feel of the rooms is light and airy. Each features early American antique-style furnishings, lace doilies, and handy stools to step up on the high beds. Technology, though, is in suit with the "antique" decor -- all rooms feature tube TVs. What’s refreshing is how the inn has showed restraint in the tchotchke department -- so many historic B&Bs often clutter up the rooms with random pieces, but that's not the case here. Simple decor and comfortable beds are what the Christopher Dodge House offers. If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room facing away from the street (which is across from the noisy highway).
- Gilchrest and Soames bath products
- Free Wi-Fi
- Tube TVs
- Mini-fridges (one room has a kitchenette)
- Many rooms have a gas fireplace or stove
- Some have views of the parking lot, others have a view of the street.
Rooms and Rates
Not much going on at the inn, but being close to downtown has its perks
- Free hot breakfast daily
- Free tea and cookies daily
- Free parking
- Free Wi-Fi
- View Full List of Amenities
|Things to Do||
Gameroom / Arcade
Smoking Rooms Available
|Address||11 West Park Street, Providence, Rhode Island 02908, United States|