- 5-minute drive to Windham Mountain, and 15 to Hunter Mountain
- Large, homey rooms, most with balconies and mountain or golf course views
- Tons of family-friendly activities (horse shoes, putting green, tennis courts)
- Outdoor heated pool with loungers and umbrellas
- Nice restaurant with a kids’ menu
- Great freebies include Wi-Fi, parking, and morning coffee
- Free shuttle to Windham Mountain on winter weekends
- Meeting space with modern amenities
- Fee for rollaway beds
- Some old tube TVs; a few rooms do not have air-conditioning
- Very limited dinner hours
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
A family-friendly hotel a short drive from two wonderful ski resorts
The Thompson House is an affordable, mid-range hotel that caters mostly to families, especially during the summer months, when the pool, the tennis courts and the putting green are open. Its 80 rooms are housed in six separate low buildings along both sides of Route 296, most of which offer golf course or creek views.
All property features -- including the outdoor heated pool, tennis courts, restaurant, and meeting facilities --are open only during the summer. The only building that operates during the colder months is the Evergreen, which overlooks the Windham Country Club. The vibe here during the winter is more adult-oriented, and guests are mostly skiers and hikers drawn by the hotel’s proximity to Windham Mountain. To balance out the lack of amenities in the winter, the hotel offers great seasonal freebies -- including free continental breakfast, free shuttle to Windham Mountain on weekends and holidays, and free parking.
During the summer, families gather at the outdoor heated pool and the sports facilities, but the action moves to the Evergreen’s cozy lobby living room, which features a working fireplace that is kept lit throughout the day.
Within eight miles of two great ski resorts
The Thompson House has an ideal location for those looking to practice winter sports -- it is one mile from Windham Mountain (The Evergreen building rooms have views of the slopes), and eight from Hunter Mountain. There are a few restaurants and cute stores a short drive away, and the Windham Country Club is right next door.
Greene County, to which Windham belongs, is in the northeastern Catskills. The area offers myriad outdoors activities -- including zip lining, hiking and snow shoeing -- as well as a number of quaint towns worth a visit. Greene is mostly known for its wonderful ski resorts and great hikes, but in the summer the county thrives with events and festivals, drawing families as well as groups.
- 3-minute drive to Windham
- 4-minute drive to Windham Mountain ski resort
- 15-minute drive to Hunter Mountain ski resort
- 25-minute drive to Haines Falls
- 32-minute drive to Kaaterskill Falls
- 35-minute drive to Athens
- 48-minute drive to Belleayre Mountain ski resort
- 50-minute drive to Woodstock
- 58-minute drive to Albany
- 1-hour drive to Delhi
- 2-hour-20-minute drive to New York City
Large and bright, some with golf course views
Rooms here are larger than average, with big windows overlooking the golf course, a creek, or the hotel grounds. Decor is homey but a bit dated, with simple bedspreads (no duvets), wood furniture, carpeting, and in some cases wallpaper with a floral print. Some may find the decor a little too simple. Nevertheless, there are a few nice touches, including ceiling moldings, brand-name toiletries, and recycling bins.
Modern amenities include large flat-screen TVs and free Wi-Fi. Most rooms have furnished balconies and empty mini-fridges, but heat-sensitive guests might want to request a room with air-conditioning, as a few still have fans only.
- Flat-screen TVs in all but a few rooms
- Empty mini-fridges and air-conditioning in most rooms
- Many rooms have furnished balconies, some with creek views
- Free Wi-Fi
- Clean bathrooms with shower/tub combos
- Dial toiletries, and free Tom’s deodorant
- Jacuzzi Suites have a jetted tub in the room
- Large windows with serene views
- Lots of storage space in most rooms
Rooms and Rates
Medium-sized outdoor pool with loungers and umbrellas
- Nice outdoor heated pool with shaded areas and loungers
- Organized activities by the pool during the summer
- Volleyball net
One of the most family-friendly resorts in the region during the summer
With a pool, tons of activities, a game room, and large rooms equipped with empty mini-fridges and flat-screen TVs, the Thompson House is one of the best bets for families visiting the region in the summer. During the winter months, Windham and Hunter mountains, both located a short drive away, also offer lots to do for families, but only one of the hotel’s six buildings remains open and the vibe becomes more adult-oriented.
- Kids 10 and under stay free; small fee for children 11 to 17 years old
- Junior Suites and Jacuzzi Suites feature pull-out couches
- All rooms have a king, two queens, or two double beds, and can fit a rollaway (available for a fee),
- Large outdoor pool
- Tennis courts, horse shoes, putting green, playground, rock climbing, lawn bowling, croquet, foosball and bocce courts (summer only)
- Organized activities daily during the summer
- Free access to an ice rink during the winter months
- Unsupervised game room
- Laundry room
- Kids’ menu at the restaurant
- Empty mini-fridges in most rooms
A solid restaurant with a kids' menu -- but very limited dinner hours
The hotel features a solid, family-friendly restaurant open only during the summer. In the winter, all rates include a nice continental breakfast served in the lobby, but no other meals are available.
- Made-to-order breakfast served every morning in the summer
- The Coffee Shop serves burgers, sandwiches, soups and desserts for lunch.
- The restaurant offers a solid dinner menu of bar food, pasta, pizzas, and soups, plus a great kids’ menu that includes fresh fruit with every meal.
- Very limited dinner hours
- Free morning coffee during the summer; free coffee, tea and cereal bars in the lobby throughout the day during the winter months
- Free continental breakfast offered daily in the winter
Most of the basics, plus a few great extras during the winter
- Free Wi-Fi
- Free continental breakfast in the winter
- Free shuttle to and from Windham Mountain on winter weekends and holidays
- Free parking
- Free morning coffee during the summer; free coffee and tea in the lobby in the winter
- Laundry room
- Massage therapist on-site
- Library with books and games for loan
- Meeting space with projectors, Wi-Fi access, and sound surround systems
- Family-friendly nature trails
- Lit ice rink and sleigh riding hill
The hotel is adjacent to the Windham Country Club.
- While the Thompson House is unaffiliated to the Windham Country Club, it does offer discounted rates and packages that include golf rounds.
- All of the Evergreen building’s rooms have views of the golf course.
Great environmentally friendly practices
The Thompson House has few solid green policies, and is currently in Phase One of the Green Concierge Certification Program, which "provides a third-party audit for performance-based improvements in resource use, conservation, and environmentally conscious practices."
- Use of energy-efficient light bulbs
- Recycling of bottles, cans, cardboard and paper
- Tissues and paper towels are made from at least 50 percent recycled materials.
- Use of Green Seal-certified non-toxic cleaning products
- Water-conserving toilets and sinks
|Things to Do||
|Address||19 Rt. 296, Windham, Catskill Region 12496, United States|