Sunset Beach Resort & SpaMontego Bay, Jamaica
- Convenient beachfront location, 20 minutes from the airport
- Access to 3 sandy beaches, including a clothing-optional one
- Kid-friendly: waterpark, kids and teens clubs, mini-golf, children’s menus at the restaurants
- Adult activities galore: shuffleboard, giant chess, basketball, beach volleyball, beer pong...
- 3 freshwater pools with ocean views, and a giant beachside hot tub
- Spa with (expensive) island-inspired treatments
- 4 buffet and a la carte restaurants, and afternoon tea
- Free non-motorized water sports, a fitness center, and 4 tennis courts
- Small casino, nightclub and six bars on-site
- Overall very tired resort (but renovations to many rooms in 2011)
- Inappropriate mix of kid-friendly and adult-only amenities (drinking contests, nude beach, late-night parties…)
Oyster Hotel PhotosView All 11 Albums
Oyster Hotel Review
A 20-minute, $25 cab ride from Montego Bay International Airport and 15 minutes to the Hip Strip.
The resort is a 20-minute, $25 cab ride from the airport in Montego Bay; that's close enough to hear a handful of planes each day. It is a 15-minute drive from the Hip Strip in Montego Bay, where giant cocktails at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville draw a steady stream of tourists. But most guests never leave the resort unless they're on a guided tour, which the hotel will help to plan.
With top golf courses, some of Jamaica's most luxurious retreats, and a narrow coastline backed by jungle-like green hills, Montego Bay ("MoBay") is both Jamaica's second-largest city and a prime vacation hub. At its center is the Hip Strip, a tourist-focused street with kitschy clubs like Margaritaville (don't forget your free bong!) and somewhat sketchy casinos and live music venues like Coral Cliff (a popular place to score drugs).
- 20-minute drive to Montego Bay International Airport
- 15-minute drive to Hip Strip
- 25-minute drive to Greenwood Great House, an historic Georgian-style building and antique museum
- 25-minute drive to legendary Rose Hall Great House
Short, narrow stretches of beach are around the resort, and a nude beach is farther away.
Short pockets of beach line the resort, interrupted by man-made rock-cluster dams. The sand was a narrow 15 feet at most places during low tide, with rocks and shells cluttering otherwise beautiful white sand. Signs warn of sea urchins and jellyfish (as is the case elsewhere in Jamaica), but it never seemed to stop any of the kids from splashing around. There is rarely a struggle for lounge chairs, though most are stacked shoulder-to-shoulder. Slightly secluded beach space can be found on the furthest reaches of the resort, likely because they're a long way from a bar.
Farther down the beach, about 50 yards in from stern "no cameras" and "adults only" postings, lies the au naturel beach, which skirts the question of "clothing optional" and enforces no bathing suits at all. I spoke with a self-proclaimed "absolutely bonkers" British couple from Yorkshire who were staying at the resort for a wedding. On the nude beach, they created an array of scandalous photos involving the bouquet. They were later booted from the beach for failing to comply with the no-camera policy.
Customers Who Viewed Sunset Beach Resort & Spa Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
For some travelers, itsy bitsy bikinis or revealing Speedos just don't cut it -- a vacation isn't a vacation without…
Guests at the Nickelodeon Suites Resort, one of Orlando's best options for families outside of a theme park, have free…
Now is the perfect time to plan a Caribbean vacation. The weather’s not yet sweltering, the spring break price hikes…
From the bathrooms to the ballrooms, Oyster knows Jamaica's hotels better than anyone else. After carefully evaluating and comparing 40…
Half Moon -- our pick for the top luxury resort in Jamaica -- is a gorgeous property with enough options…
Things You Should Know About Sunset Beach Resort & Spa
AddressMontego Freeport Peninsula, PO Box 1168, Montego Bay, Caribbean
Also Known As
- Sunset Beach Hotel
- Sunset Beach Jamaica
- Sunset Beach Montego Bay
- Sunset Beach Resort
- Sunset Beach Resort And Spa Jamaica
- Sunset Beach Resort Jamaica
- Sunset Beach Resort Montego Bay
- Sunset Beach Resort Spa
- Sunset Beach Resort Spa Montego Bay
- Bayview Room
- Beachfront Room
- Garden View Room
- Junior Suite
- Oceanfront Room
- Oceanview Room
- One Bedroom Suite
- Standard Courtyard Room
- Standard Tower Room
- Waterpark Room