Dreams Sugar BayEast End, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
The Sugar Bay Resort and Spa is a family-oriented, 294-room, full-service, all-inclusive resort that covers meals, drinks and activities such as snorkeling and windsurfing in the price of the stay (unlike the Frenchman's Reef Marriott or the Ritz-Carlton). Activity is centered on the grotto pool, right next to the beach, but the tennis courts, water sports, mini-golf course, and other kid-friendly activities are all on site to keep guests busy. For families, the Sugar Bay offers more than any other resort in St. Thomas, including the Ritz-Carlton and the Marriott, and its bested only by the considerably more expensive Westin St. John (one island away).
On the eastern end of St. Thomas, about a five-minute drive from fun bars and restaurants in Red Hook
The hotel is located on the resort-heavy East End, near Red Hook, but there's nothing accessible within walking distance.
- 30-minute cab ride from St. Thomas' airport
- Closest town is Red Hook, about a five-minute ($5 per person) cab ride
- 15-minute drive from duty-free bargain shopping in Charlotte Amalie
- Ferry to neighboring St. John can be picked up in Red Hook
Rocky but good for snorkeling; smaller than others on St. Thomas.
The roughly 300-foot-long strip of beach is a touch smaller and rockier than what you'll find at other resorts on St. Thomas, like Bolongo Bay, Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina, or the Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas, so the soft-sand areas can get a bit more crowded.
- Great snorkeling in the rocky patches
- Water-sports equipment available for rent
- Barefoot swimmers need to avoid the rocky patches
All guest rooms were updated in 2006 with tropical furnishings and earthtone decor.
- Rooms start at a very comfortable 475 square feet, which is larger than the standard rooms at the Marriott and the Ritz-Carlton
- All rooms have a balcony (unlike at the Marriott), and even in the Resort-View Room, you can still get a glimpse of the ocean
- Comfortable beds
- Older Zenith tube TV
- Empty mini-fridge in every room, as well as a coffeemaker
- Large, clean bathrooms
- In-room safe large enough to accommodate a laptop
Ample features, including an excellent grotto-style pool
- Free-form grotto pool overlooking the beach, ringed by lounge chairs, umbrellas, and palm trees -- it's one of the best pools in St. Thomas
- Journeys Spa -- rivaling the spa at the Marriott and the Ritz-Carlton as among the best in St. Thomas -- offers a variety of massages, body treatments, salon services, and waxing. Access to the hot tub and steam room costs an extra daily fee
- Large fitness center with weight-training and cardio equipment, but no personal TV monitors (as found at the Marriott)
- On-site casino, or more accurately the slot-machine room, is typical of those in St. Thomas
- Four tennis courts and one basketball court
- Mini-golf course
- On-site car-rental kiosk
Excellent family option -- the best family resort on St. Thomas
- Large standard rooms, available with two double beds or one king; additional rollaway beds available at no extra charge
- Sugar Bay's "Kids Klub" offers supervised all-day activities like scavenger hunts, snorkeling, and iguana feeding for kids ages four to 12.
- Exceptional grotto-style pool
- On-site mini-golf course
- Fun water activities for kids
Food is on par with most other large-scale V.I. resorts.
All guests receive an all-inclusive meal option and the hotel offers three different options on the property:
- The Ocean Club, more accurately a kiosk, has pastries and coffee for breakfast. The restaurant is included in the all-inclusive plan.
- Manor House, the resort's only more upscale breakfast and dinner option, serves a breakfast buffet as well as a la carte items.The restaurant is included in the all-inclusive plan.
- For lunch, The Mangrove Cafe has salads, sandwiches and light entrees. The restaurant is included in the all-inclusive plan.
- Turtle Rock Bar also serves lunch, along with beers and frozen drinks, and is not included in all-inclusive plan
- The Barking Shark is a cafe and market, and is not included in the all-inclusive plan.
- Room service is available daily, though is not covered in the all-inclusive plan
- For off-site restaurants, you'll have to head to Red Hook, five minutes away by car (about $5 per person by taxi).
Customers Who Viewed Dreams Sugar Bay Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
Part of the U.S. Virgin Islands, St. Thomas boasts gorgeous beaches and equally gorgeous waters. While many tourists, particularly those…
While the crystal waters of the Caribbean may be enticing enough, these gorgeous hotel pools don't disappoint either. Take a…
The US Virgin Islands boast some of the most scenic views in the Caribbean, so we love it when our…
Things You Should Know About Dreams Sugar Bay
Address6500 Estate Smith Bay, 00802, Caribbean
Also Known As
- Sugar Bay Resort and Spa
- Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort And Spa
- Bay View Room
- Ocean View Room
- One Bedroom Suite