JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort Spa And GolfSummerlin, Nevada, United States
Flights for this trip with Skyscanner.com
Oyster Hotel PhotosView All 6 Albums
Oyster Hotel Review
A haven for golf and business meetings, this generic suburban resort is 20 minutes from the frenetic Strip, but seems a world away.
At this staid JW Marriott in the suburb of Summerlin -- 20 minutes from the Las Vegas Strip -- the game of golf trumps the game of blackjack, and the poolside waitresses wear frumpy uniforms instead of bikinis.
Packs of young, straight-laced men in business casual clothes check in with bags of gear, eager for a round at one of the seven nearby golf courses, while convention- and conferencegoers wander the endless halls between meetings.
Wall tapestries, club chairs, and tiled floors are characteristic of the elegant Mediterranean design -- not the sort of decor you typically see at the generally bland properties operated under the JW name, Marriott's luxury division. That's because the property was bought from Summerlin Resort seven years ago and Marriott kept much of the 50 acres as they found it. The many nearby golf options are one of its standout features. (The hotel was ranked 10th in Conde Nast Traveler's 2008 Top 100 Golf Resorts in the U.S.
The casino, with its magnificent palm frond motif dome, is mostly a hangout for local seniors playing the slots before heading over to the buffet for the early bird special. In addition to locals, conventioneers and golfers, the JW also seems popular with families who enjoy a great pool and large, clean rooms, and, bridal parties -- during the peak spring season, there are as many as four weddings a day.
Prompt, helpful, and friendly
This hotel's level of service is definitely in line with the JW Marriott brand -- extremely efficient, albeit a little corporate cookie-cutter. There's a large team of porters at the front entrance; check-in and check-out are fast and painless. In general, staffers respond promptly to both routine and more complex requests, and the variety of services is adequate for the hotel's price category. In general, staffers are more attentive than at the neighboring, trendy Red Rock Resort
- Dedicated concierge desk makes dinner reservations, plans outdoor excursions, and offers advice to guests heading to the Strip.
- Seperate golf concierge books golf packages and sets up tee times at any of the seven nearby courses.
- Daily turndown service
- Free daily newspapers
- Business center service goes above-and-beyond fulfilling requests.
- Dry-cleaning and laundry services
- Free shuttle to the Strip (10 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.); drops off at the Fashion Show Mall.
- Shuttle to McCarran International Airport is $30 a person.
- Room service is available from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.; deliveries from area restaurants can also be arranged.
- $25 daily resort fee, typical especially for resorts in the suburbs
Close to the fabled Red Rock Canyon, in a quiet suburb 30 minutes from the airport and about 20 minutes to the Strip.
JW Marriot Las Vegas is located 20 minutes from the Strip in the suburban Las Vegas town of Summerlin, an upper-middle-class, largely residential, and relatively undeveloped community of 28,000. The area is known for its large number of golf courses, as well as a fair number of retirement villages, residents of which are drawn to the hotel's casino and restaurants.
- 20 minutes from the Las Vegas Strip ($45 by cab or free on the hotel's shuttle)
- Boca Park shopping center is a five-minute drive away; retail outlets include Target, Williams-Sonoma, and several restaurants.
- Red Rock Casino Resort and Spa, the newest addition to Summerlin, is a 10-minute drive away.
- Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, encompassing 197,000 acres within the Mojave Desert that offers hiking, biking, and scenic drives, is 20 minutes away.
- 40 minutes from McCarran International Airport (about a $55 taxi ride one way or $30 via the hotel shuttle)
- Shuttle to and from the Strip, from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. is included in the cost of a stay; drops off and picks up at the the Fashion Show shopping mall.
- The 18-hole Angel Park golf course, designed by Arnold Palmer, is across the street
Comfortable, if unexciting, with signature Marriott beds
Standard rooms measure 560 square feet -- that's a little more wiggle room than the nearby Red Rock Resort and 150 square feet larger than the average room on the Strip. Rooms at the JW are clean, large, and comfortable, but aren't very interesting decor-wise, and don't include a flat-screen TV. All rooms have French door-style windows that add some interest, but guests will have to request a room with a balcony if they want to step out and soak up the desert sun (rooms with a balcony are a category higher).
- Excellent signature beds; 300-thread-count sheets, light-weight comforter, pristine, fluffy pillows -- and incredibly difficult to get out of (in a good way).
- 32-inch TV (not a flat-screen) that offers a basic cable package, plus free HBO and several pay-per-view options
- Oversize bathroom has deep-soaking tub, powerful shower with rainfall showerhead, twin sink basins, marble counters, and tons of fluffy towels.
- Free in-room Wi-Fi; comfortable work desk and ergonomic chair
- Coffeemaker and mini-fridge with bottled water provided
- 11,000-square-foot pool with waterfall doesn't quite match the splendor of those at most Vegas resorts, but it's still a crowd pleaser, especially with families and kids. (The pool closes from late November 2009 to mid-March since winter weather can often fall into the 30s).
- Aquae Sulis Spa & Salon has an exceptionally nice fitness center; access costs $25 a day but is free to guests who purchase a spa treatment; excellent spa includes 36 treatment rooms, an outdoor hydrotherapy circuit pool, hot and cold plunge pools, saunas, steam rooms, and waterfall-style showers.
- Small, minimally equipped fitness rooms (housed in converted suites) in both of the guest room buildings
- Mandatory $25-a-day resort fee, typical of suburban Vegas resorts
- Free, in-room Wi-Fi
- Free use of driving range at nearby Tournament Players golf course
- Free shuttle service to and from the Strip
Pretty but tame; popular with residents of local retirement communities
The casino is attractive -- especially the palm-frond-motif dome -- but lacking in classic Vegas glamour or sizzle. There are 1,200 slot machines, 40 gambling tables, and crowds of seniors from the local retirement communities and other locals. It seems not as popular with guests who are more focused on playing golf or doing business. For a suburban casino with a little more attraction -- like a bingo room -- guests may want to consider nearby Red Rock Resort instead, which offers a sexier, more Strip-like gambling ambience.
A golfer’s delight, with seven courses within a 25-minute drive
Ranked the 10th-best golfing resort in the U.S. by Conde Nast Traveler, the JW swarms with passionate players.
- On-site golf concierge arranges tee times.
- Preferred tee times at Tournament Players Club, designed by Bobby Weed and less than a half-mile from the hotel; 18 holes; par 72.
- Angel Park, designed by Arnold Palmer, is located across the street; 18 holes; par 71; rentals and lessons available.
- Arroyo Golf Club, a links style course designed by Arnold Palmer, is 10 minutes from the hotel; par 72.
- The Badlands Golf Club, with three nine-hole courses designed by Johnny Miller, is 10 minutes (two miles) from the hotel; par 36.
- Bear's Best, Jack Nicklaus' 18-hole course, is 10 minutes from the hotel.
- Paiute, with three different 18-hole courses designed by Pete Dye, as well as the Siena Golf Club, are a 15- to 20-minute drive away.
- Silverstone, designed by Bob Cupp, a 27-hole, par 72, course, is 10 to 15 minutes away
- Lessons and rental equipment can be arranged at all courses.
Not the most entertaining for kids; there are better options
Little ones will certainly appreciate the huge waterfall pool at the center of this resort, but, unfortunately, it'll be closed from the end of November to early March each year, due temperatures that can fall into the 30s. There's horseshoe, boccie, and volleyball courts that are fun for older children, but beyond that, there's not much to entertain the younger crowd. Families might want to consider the nearby Red Rock Resort instead, which has an on-site movie theater and bowling alley, plus a reasonably priced kids' club.
- All JW signature restaurants -- Spiedini, Ceres -- offer kids' menus; plenty of kid-friendly food at the buffet and diner-style eateries.
- Convenient in-room fridges
- Twin sinks and large tubs are a plus for families
- Standard rooms are sizable (larger than nearby Red Rock Resort)
- Free cribs and rollaways
- No on-site kids' club
Super clean and fresh
Rooms are impeccably clean -- even the bathroom fixtures gleam. Grounds are well manicured and vibrant -- not an easy feat in the desert!
Ordinary and uninspired
Food isn't a highlight at this hotel. The offerings are adequate, but uninspired, at its two signature restaurants, as well as at the buffet, cafeteria, and poolside cafe.
- Italian Spiedini is open daily for dinner; slacks-and-shirt dress code; entrees range from $18 to $42.
- Continental Ceres is open for breakfast each day and for lunch Tuesday to Saturday.
- Rampart Buffet (open for lunch and dinner) and Promande Café, the casino's cafeteria and buffet-style eateries (open 24 hours a day), offer $6.99 lunch specials and are popular with local seniors.
- Waterside Café serves lunch and light snacks poolside throughout the day.
- On-site food court (not run by the hotel) includes Shizen for Japanese and J.C. Wooloughan Irish Pub.
- Room service is available from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. daily.
Customers Who Viewed JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort Spa And Golf Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
Things You Should Know About JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort Spa And Golf
Address221 N Rampart Blvd, Las Vegas, Nevada 89145, United States
Also Known As
- Jw Marriott Las Vegas
- JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort, Spa & Golf
- Las Vegas Marriott
- Marriott Las Vegas
- 1 Bedroom Suite
- 2 Bedroom Suite
- Guest Room
- Guest Room w/ balcony
- Junior Suite