Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
The Moderne is located a few blocks north of the Times Square lights and crowds, only three blocks south of Central Park, and the Broadway theater district is even closer -- it's one of the most desireable locations in the city. Carnegie Hall, the famed classical music performance space, is only a short walk away, as is Rockefeller Center, home to NBC Studios and the "Top of the Rock" observation deck, which offers a stunning view of the city from 70 floors up.
- Two blocks from the N, Q, R, W subway lines; three blocks from the 1, A, B, C, D subway lines; four blocks from the E subway line; five blocks from the F subway line
- Three-minute walk to Central Park
- 15-minute walk to Times Square
- 20-minute walk or subway ride to the Empire State Building
- 35-minute subway ride or $15 taxi to the ferry terminal to visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
- 10-minute walk to Rockefeller Center
- 20-minute subway ride to the American Museum of Natural History
- 30-minute subway ride to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (the "Met") and 10-minute walk to the Museum of Modern Art (the "MoMA")
Small; but they look more fun than most New York hotel rooms, and underwent renovations in 2011
- Deluxe King and Double rooms are about 200 square feet -- the average New York hotel room.
- Loft Suites, added in the 2011 renovation, are 300 square feet and come with a pull-out bed
- 42-inch flat-screen TVs
- Electronic safe, big enough for a small laptop, with fee
- Down comforters
- CD players
- iPod dock in the suites
- Stainless steel bathrooms with Gilchrist & Soames amenities
- No smoking rooms
- In-room Wi-Fi costs $9.95 per day.
Rooms and Rates
About 30 to 90 minutes from three airports
New York has three nearby airports: JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark (in New Jersey). Getting to town from JFK or LaGuardia is usually more convenient than getting there from Newark, but travel times are heavily dependent on the time of day and traffic conditions. From JFK, a taxi to anywhere in Manhattan costs a flat rate of $45 and takes around an hour in average conditions. From LaGuardia, a metered cab ride to midtown Manhattan costs about $40 and can take 30 minutes if traffic is light, three times that if it's bad. Rides from Newark cost at least $40 (plus tolls) and can take more than 90 minutes. It's customary to tip your driver 15 to 25 percent.
Those looking to save some cash can use the privately run shuttle buses that are available at all three airports for about $14 per person. For more information on the shuttles, go to Super Shuttle or New York Airport Service. Public transit is also available for as little as $7 per person, but travel can take up to two hours and involve a lot of lugging bags up and down stairways.
Rental Car Service Desk Onsite
|Things to Do||
|Address||243 West 55th Street, New York City, New York 10019, United States|
|Also Known As||