- Not located on the beach
- Housekeeping and new towels for a fee
- No full-time front desk staff
- Pool is small and uninviting
- No restaurant, spa, or fitness center
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
Huge condos with full kitchens offer families and groups an affordable way to stay near Oyster Bay -- but amenities are next to nil
There are really only two reasons to stay at the Caribbean Princess: the gigantic, apartment-like units, and the location within upscale Orient Bay. Few features exist beyond this -- just a small, barren pool and a rarely open front desk, both of which leave much to be desired. Essentially, Caribbean Princess is a lovely, well-groomed complex of just 10 colonial-style units at which you'll be completely self-sufficient and totally on your own.
What the Caribbean Princess has going for it is the incredible size of its condos, which can comfortably fit a family or other group, as well as each unit’s inviting island-style decor. Whites and creams dominate the living areas with light furnishings featuring small bursts of color via red and mustard yellow throw pillows. The open-plan kitchens are downright huge, with excellent, high-end appliances and enough tableware and cookware for a Thanksgiving feast. Massive terraces are a far better choice than the complex’s pool, if not for the privacy than for the little bit of landscaping.
If you are most concerned with having a spacious home base while visiting St. Martin, Caribbean Princess might just be your best bet. But if you want the leisure of resort-style amenities, this is not the place for you -- head instead to the Esmeralda Resort or Hotel La Plantation. The rooms there are of course smaller, but self-contained villas with interior adjoining doors can be opened for roughly the same apartment-style effect. Moreover, at both of these resorts, you’ll find restaurants, a more traditional hotel-style staff, and, at Esmeralda, even a private pool for each villa.
Within walking distance to one of St. Martin's prettiest beaches, in an upscale gated community on the island's French side
Located just a short walk from the lovely white-sand Orient Bay, guests at Caribbean Princess have quick access to water-sport rental shops, restaurants, bars, and massage huts right at the water's edge. The happening scene, pristine sand, and cerulean crashing waves are a major island draw, and all are within five minutes on foot. Take note: In true French spirit, the beach is clothing-optional.
The Orient Bay location is also attractive for its safety and well-manicured grounds. Monitored by a security gate off of the main road, the area is ideal for families. Parking is no problem, as Caribbean Princess has more lots than actual units. When you choose to head outside Orient Bay, keep in mind the island tends to have quite a bit of traffic, so be sure to add extra minutes to your estimated travel time when promptness is important.
- 30-minute drive to Princess Juliana International Airport
- 5-minute walk to Orient Bay beach
- 5-minute walk to restaurants, shops, bars, and cafes in Orient Bay
- 5-minute drive to the Butterfly Farm
- 10-minute drive to Boulevard Grand Case
- 12-minute drive to Dawn Beach
- 15-minute drive to Loterie Farm, a nature retreat with tours and zip lining
- 15-minute drive to Marigot
- 15-minute drive to Fort Louis
- 15-minute drive to Philipsburg
Huge two-bedroom and three-bedroom units with full kitchens
Condos at the Caribbean Princess are huge (1,500 to 2,000 square feet): The two-bedroom units can sleep five or six, and three-bedroom units can house seven. Every condo has a large kitchen with ultra-modern appliances and tons of tableware and cookware. Decor is fresh white-on-white in the living rooms, and vibrantly colorful in the bedrooms. On the downside, the technology is dated: small tube TVs, and no DVD players, stereos, or even bedside alarm clocks. Bathrooms are nicely tiled though, and terraces and balconies are spacious. Ground-floor units are especially nice for the extra private yard off the terrace.
- Full kitchens with dishwashers, ultra-modern ranges and refrigerators, tons of cookware and tableware, microwaves, coffeemakers, teakettles, toasters, and both table and bar seating
- Small old-school tube TVs in the living rooms; no TVs in the bedrooms
- Free Wi-Fi
- Ceiling fans and wall-mounted ACs
- Bathrooms have single vanities, French toiletries from Pascal Morabito and VRAI, but no bathtubs
- All bedrooms have terraces, and a larger furnished terrace is off the living room
- Housekeeping and change of towels requires a fee
Rooms and Rates
Virtually nothing beyond a small pool
- Free parking
- Free lounge chairs and umbrellas at Waikiki Beach restaurant
- Overnight security guard
- A small pool with only six chairs and virtually no landscaping
- No free towels or housekeeping
- View Full List of Amenities
Transport to / from Hotel
|Things to Do||
Separate Bedroom / Living Room Space
|Address||Parc de la Baie Orientale, Orient Bay, 97150 St. Martin|