InterContinental ChicagoMagnificent Mile, Chicago, Illinois
- Access to only one subway line
- Fee apply to use fitness center
- Some rooms have small windows
- Pricey valet parking
- Fee for Wi-Fi
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
A large, historic building, the InterContinental's home is a Chicago landmark.
Originally built in 1929 to house the exclusive Medinah Athletics Club, and then completely renovated in 1988, the InterContinental's building is one of Chicago's most recognizable landmarks. The grand lobby, with a huge staircase and Spanish-inspired decor, is normally full of business travelers. The lobby’s fountains and chandeliers give way to the intimate ambience of Zest, the hotel’s street-level restaurant, with views of the Magnificent Mile.
Natural light pours through huge windows into the wonderful junior Olympic indoor swimming pool located on the eighth floor. Several rows of seating and a terra-cotta fountain with Spanish tiles remain from the building’s golden days, when young elite athletes would fill the hallways of the majestic club.
Standard rooms are on the small side; it's worth considering the much larger rooms at Omni, which are usually available for the same price. The InterContinental’s Deluxe Rooms, and especially the suites, come with better amenities than the Standard Rooms and are far more spacious.
Located on the Magnificent Mile, three blocks from the Red subway line
The Intercontinental has a prime address right on the Magnificent Mile, an iconic stretch of North Michigan Avenue known for its upscale shopping. However, it is not all about department stores out here. Art galleries, landmarks — such as the Water Tower, the John Hancock Observatory, the Pumping Station and Wrigley Building — and top-notch restaurants are within easy walking distance from the hotel.
- 9-minute walk to the Loop
- 10-minute walk to the John Hancock Observatory
- 13-minute walk to the Theatre District
- 13-minute walk to the Millennium Park
- 15-minute walk to the Art Institute of Chicago
- 18-minute walk to the Chicago City Hall
- 12-minute drive or 39 minutes by subway to the Museum of Science and Industry
- 15-minute drive or 26 minutes by subway to the Wrigley Field
- 18-minute drive to Midway International Airport
- 25 minutes by subway to the Old Town
- 27-minute drive to O’Hare International Airport
- 34 minutes by subway to Kenwood neighborhood
Smallish standard rooms for the price, but rooms in the main tower were renovated in 2010
Standard rooms are on the small side for the price and some have small windows. The 328 rooms and suites in the main tower were renovated in 2010, and feature updated decor (fresh carpets, curtains, furniture) a mahogany-and-brown color scheme. But the beige-and-brown historic tower rooms are starting to show their age.
- Fitness center open daily, there is a fee to use. It features a sauna and some spa services, such as aromatherapy treatments and massages.
- Indoor pool
- 24-hour business center staffed throughout the day; some fees apply
- Daily fee for Wi-Fi
- Babysitting services
- Valet parking is expensive
- Meeting and events space: Over 40,000 square feet of flexible meeting and banquet space, including 28 meeting rooms and a 6,400-square-feet ballroom
One restaurant, two bars and a Starbucks on site
- Michael Jordan's Steak House opened inside the former Zest space in August of 2011. Open daily for lunch and dinner.
- Eno: Serves wine, chocolate and cheeses from around the world.
- Lobby Bar: Serves cocktails, wines and a light menu in the hotel lobby.
- Starbucks: Open daily.
- 24-hour room service
Customers Who Viewed InterContinental Chicago Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
It's true that every traveler is unique, and our mission at Oyster is to find the best hotel for each…
With summer fast approaching, we know you've got one thing on your mind: vacation (and if you don't, we sure…
Things You Should Know About InterContinental Chicago
Address505 North Michigan Ave, Chicago, Illinois 60611, United States
- Deluxe Room
- Historic Tower Room
- Magnificent Mile Suite
- Main Building Room
- Standard Room