This hotel has undergone significant renovations since our visit.
We will update our photos and review as soon as we can.
Oyster Hotel Photos
View All 12 Albums
Customers Who Viewed The Fairmont Orchid Hawaii Also Viewed
Oyster Hotel Review
On the posh Kohala coast, near Waikoloa Village and Waimea
The Fairmont Orchid is located on the Big Island's northwestern Kohala coast, where ancient sites coexist with luxury resorts and renowned golf courses. Nearby Waimea (a.k.a Kamuela, the area's newer, official name) is a major agricultural hub, where many of the country's vegetable and flower farms are located. It's also where Hawaiian cowboys (known as "paniolos") reigned in the 1800s, wrangling wild Longhorns, and later, establishing ranches.
The Big Island is packed with natural wonders, including active volcanoes, where visitors can still see lava flows, numerous beaches, and rainforests. It's by far the largest of the Hawaiian islands, so be prepared to drive to experience some of the top attractions.
- 40-minute drive from Kona International Airport
- 2-hour drive from Hilo International Airport
- 3-minute drive to shopping and dining at Mauna Lani marketplace
- 3-minute drive to the Kalahuipuaa Fish Ponds
- 3-minute drive to the Puako Petroglyph Preserve
- 14-minute drive to the Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area, home to one of the island's best beaches
- 27-minute drive to the Kamuela Museum
- 35-minute drive to downtown Waimea
- 35-minute drive to the Parker Ranch Museum, and the Parker Ranch Historic Homes
- 50-minute drive to downtown Kailua-Kona
- 1-hour-45-minute drive to Akaka Falls State Park, home to the 442-foot Akaka Falls and the 100-foot Kahuna Falls
- 2-hour drive to Mauna Kea Observatories (at the summit)
- 4-hour drive to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, home to the island's most popular volcanoes
Big and comfortable, with private lanais and marble-tile bathrooms -- but a little less style than you'd expect at this price point
All Rooms Include:
- 42-inch flat-screen TV with media panel
- Keurig one-cup coffeemaker
- Internet (free for members of Fairmont President’s Club or $15 per stay)
- Writing desk with one chair
- Alarm clock/radio
- Iron and ironing board
- Air conditioning
- Fairmont Room: 522 square feet, with a garden view and one king or two queen beds
- Partial Ocean View: 522 square feet, with a partial or angled ocean view and one king or two queen beds
- Ocean View: 522 square feet, with a partial or angled ocean view and one king or two queen beds
- Signature Ocean Front Room: 522 square feet, with a full ocean view and one king or two queen beds
- Executive Suite Garden View: 1,050 square feet, with garden views from two private lanais, a separate bedroom with one king bed, a living area with a queen sofa bed, an extra half bathroom, a stereo system with CD player, and an extra writing desk
- Executive Suite Ocean View: 1,050 square feet, with an angled ocean view, two private lanais, a separate bedroom with one king bed, a living area with a queen sofa bed, an extra half bathroom, a stereo system with CD player, and an extra writing desk
- Oceanfront Suite: 1,477 square feet (and can connect with an Ocean View room to become a 2,144 square-foot two-bedroom Oceanfront Suite), with one king or two queen beds and full ocean views from the bedroom, living room and two private lanais; separate bedroom includes a parlor and full master bathroom, and living room has a sofa bed and separate powder room
- South Tower Presidential Suite: 3,736 square feet (when connected with an adjoining Ocean Front room), with a master bedroom that has a four-poster king bed, dressing area, vanity, and a full bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub; a full kitchen, separate dining area, living room and parlor area with a sofa; and two private lanais with full ocean views
- Fairmont Gold Executive Suite: 1,050 square feet, with ocean view and one king or one queen bed plus a queen sofa bed; a private lanai with teak furniture and a separate parlor area
- Fairmont Gold Presidential Suite: 4,258 square feet (including adjoining Ocean View room with two queen beds), with oceans views, a master bedroom with a four-poster king bed, master bathroom with Jacuzzi tub and separate shower, a living area with a queen sofa bed, a kitchenette, formal dining room, a baby grand piano, DVD and CD players, and a private lanai with teak furniture
A spa with 14 outdoor treatment huts and a gorgeous fitness center
- Spa Without Walls: 14 private outdoor huts (eight waterfall and six ocean-side) and three indoor treatment rooms
- Fitness Center: Elegant 1,708-square-foot facility with 24-hour access and various daily fitness and relaxation classes; beautiful decor (including chandeliers) and big windows; private sessions and personal training services available
- Beach Club: Offers water sports equipment, instruction and outrigger canoe paddling activities, all for a fee
- Wedding services include romance packages and various venue, menu and cake options
- 30,000 square feet of indoor meeting space, 76,000 square feet of outdoor meeting space, and meeting services, including planning assistance, packages, and solutions for group functions
- Business center has office supplies, computer workstations, printing, copying, faxing, shipping, secretarial and equipment rental services, and hefty fees
- On-site shops offering gifts, clothing, jewelry, sundries and accessories
- Keiki Aloha Children’s Program: Hawaiian-themed adventure program including a variety of nature-centered activities; $85 full day guest rate including lunch, snacks and drinks, and $65 half day guest rate
- Laundry service (available daily, except holidays)
- Valet parking for $22/night and self-parking for $17/night
- Resort shuttle free within the Mauna Lani Resort area, available on-demand 24 hours
- Safe deposit boxes at the reception desk
- Dogs allowed for $25/night
- Internet is $15 per stay; or free for members of Fairmont President’s Club (joining requires free enrollment registration that includes submitting credit card information)
- Gold Floor with private reception area, as well as a lounge that serves a daily continental breakfast and hors d'oeuvres
- Adjacent to two 18-hole championship golf courses
Four restaurants, including excellent fine dining at Brown's Beach House
- Kahakai Bar Oceanfront serves pupus and cocktails daily until dusk.
- Hale Kai Restaurant serves lunch and dinner daily. Fare includes burgers, sandwiches and pizzas for $15 to $19, plus meat and fish entrees from $21 to $33.
- Brown’s Beach House Restaurant serves excellent Hawaiian-inspired cuisine for dinner. Entrees include dishes like Crab Crusted Mahi Mahi ($45) and Lemon Scented Edamame Risotto ($32).
- Brown’s Deli serves breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks daily.
- Luana Lounge serves pupus and cocktails daily.
- Norio’s Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar serves dinner Thursday through Monday.
- The Orchid Court serves breakfast daily.
- Gathering of the Kings is a Polynesian performance and feast that takes place on Saturdays beginning at 6:00 p.m.
- In-room dining available from 6:00 a.m. to midnight
This 32-acre luxury resort in Waimea delivers all the high-end Big Island essentials: A beautiful spa, comprised mostly of outdoor huts; a white-sand beach on a calm lagoon; beautifully landscaped grounds, and a huge pool with ocean views. But rooms, though tasteful, aren't quite as luxurious as you'd expect at this price point, and numerous extra fees can leave guests feeling nickel-and-dimed.
Things You Should Know About The Fairmont Orchid Hawaii
- 1 North Kaniku Drive, Kohala Coast, HI 96743
- Deluxe Ocean View Room
- Executive Suite Garden View
- Executive Suite Ocean View
- Fairmont Garden View Room
- Fairmont Gold Executive Suite
- Fairmont Gold Garden View Room
- Fairmont Gold Ocean View Room
- Fairmont Gold Presidential Suite
- Oceanfront Suite
- Ocean View Room
- Partial Ocean View Room
- Signature Ocean Front Room
- South Tower Presidential Suite