Oyster Hotel Photos
View All 9 Albums
Oyster Hotel Review
Coastal decor, a great location and solid freebies
This Kimpton-owned boutique is decked out in stylish, beach-y decor (the hotel's theme is "sun and sea") and is located in a brick building on the corner of 6th avenue and J street. It's a block from the hip Gaslamp Quarter, two blocks from Petco Park, and a 5-minute drive to the San Diego Convention Center, so it's convenient for both business and leisure travelers.
The lobby is inviting, with a candle-lit hanging light fixture, an artistic arrangement of ocean-inspired light fixtures on the wall, and sunset-inspired mural behind the front desk. The coastal decor continues in the stylish rooms, which are fitted out with dark wood furniture and blue-walled bathrooms.
The hotel strives to create an intimate experience for guests with a free nightly wine hour, free coffee and tea, free guided walks from the lobby, and a pet-friendly policy.
The hotel is just a block away from the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter, and a short walk to both Petco Park (where the San Diego Padres play) and the San Diego Convention Center.
The historical Gaslamp Quarter, located between 4th and 6th avenues, and between Broadway to the north and Harbor Drive to the south, is a hip, young neighborhood that’s home to some of downtown San Diego's best restaurants, shopping, nightlife, boutiques, and art galleries. It’s also where some of the city’s most popular outdoor celebrations -- Mardi Gras, St. Patrick’s Day, and the Street Scene music festival -- take place.
- 8-minute walk to the San Diego Convention Center
- 9-minute walk to Petco Park
- 5-minute drive to Seaport Village
- 7-minute drive San Diego Zoo
- 8-minute drive to the Maritime Museum of San Diego
- 10-minute drive to Balboa Park
- 12-minute drive to the San Diego International Airport
- 13-minute drive to Old Town
- 15-minute drive to Sea World
Stylish rooms, many with big jetted tubs
Deluxe King Room
The Solamar's rooms feature coastal-inspired decor, with fabrics incorporating stripes and polka dots, dark wood furniture and white wood mirrors, abaca headboards meant to mimic a sailboat's coiled ropes, and a blue-and-brown color scheme. Bathrooms have blue walls, blue mosaic tile accents, square above-counter sinks, Gilchrist & Soames bath products, and in many room types, large, jetted tubs.
All rooms include:
- Flat-screen TV and DVD/CD player
- Gilchrist & Soames bath products
- Terry-cloth animal print robes
- Honor bar with organic options
- Free newspaper delivery
- Free overnight shoeshine
- Same-day valet laundry
- Iron and ironing board
- Laptop-sized safe
- Deluxe Guest Room: 340 square feet; king bed or two queens; shower/tub combo
- Spa Guest Room: 450 square feet; king bed; jetted tub and separate walk-in shower
- Corner Spa Guest Room: 420 square feet; king bed; corner guest room; jetted tub and separate walk-in shower
- Virtuoso Suite: 450 square feet; king bed; sofa bed; separate sitting area and bedroom by cabana doors; jetted tub and separate walk-in shower
- Masters Suite: 570 square feet; king bed; sofa bed; separate sitting area and bedroom; jetted tub and separate walk-in shower; two flat-screen TVs
- Choreographer Suite: 725 square feet; king bed; wet bar with stools; 42-inch flat-screen TV; patio with furniture; can connect to deluxe king or spa guest room
The highlights here are the rooftop pool and the free nightly wine hour in the cozy lobby. The hotel is kid-friendly (child-size robes available), pet-friendly (no weight limit; welcome pet-treat), and eco-friendly (hybrid cars park for less).
- Fourth-floor patio with outdoor heated pool open 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily; poolside bar; colorful lighting and cabana seating at night
- LoungeSix: Located on 4th floor rooftop deck; open daily 11:30 a.m. to midnight
- Free wine hour in lobby from 5 to 6 p.m.
- Pet friendly: All pets of all sizes welcome; no deposit or fee; dog beds, bowls to borrow; welcome treat; pet sitting, grooming, walking, massage, and more available through concierge
- 24-hour fitness center with treadmill, elliptical machine, stationary bike, free weights; discounted day passes to nearby FIT gym, two blocks from hotel
- Free guided power walks Wednesday leaving from the lobby at 4 p.m.
- Poolside Pilates classes every Saturday morning from 10 to 11 a.m. for $10
- $11 per day for Wi-Fi (but free for Kimpton loyalty program members, and the loyalty program is free to join)
- Free organic morning coffee and tea in lobby
- 24-hour business center with computers and printer (for a fee)
- 24-hour room service from adjacent Jsix Restaurant
- 24-hour front desk with concierge services
- In-room spa services
- Cribs, highchairs, booster seats, child safety kits available; welcome gift, child-size animal print robes to borrow or purchase
- Valet parking $35 per night; $17 for hybrid cars
- $20 per night for rollaway beds; cribs available for free
- Jsix Restaurant: California coastal cuisine; open 7 to 10:30 a.m. for breakfast; brunch Saturday and Sunday 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.; lunch 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.; dinner Sunday to Wednesday 5:30 to 10 p.m.; Thursday to Saturday 5:30 to 11 p.m.
- Non-smoking hotel
This 235-room Kimpton boutique just outside the Gaslamp Quarter is notable for its stylish rooms with beach-inspired decor and its attractive rooftop pool area. There are some great freebies -- a free nightly wine hour, free coffee and tea in the lobby, free newspaper delivery, and free guided walks every Wednesday afternoon -- but you'll have to pay for parking and business center services. The nearby Hard Rock Hotel is sometimes a little cheaper, but it's less kid-friendly.
This Hotel Also Featured In
Things You Should Know About Hotel Solamar San Diego
- 435 6th Ave, San Diego, CA, 92101, US
- Choreographer Suite
- Corner Spa Guest Room
- Deluxe Guest Room with 1 King Bed
- Deluxe Guest Room with 2 Queen Beds
- Masters Suite
- Spa Guest Room
- Virtuoso Suite