Captain Jefferds InnKennebunkport, Maine, United States
- Charming, historic inn with a quiet, residential location
- Cozy, individually decorated rooms with fireplaces
- Free gourmet breakfast, afternoon tea, and hot cider
- Free Wi-Fi and computer available for guest use
- Modern amenities include iPod docks and flat-screen TVs
- Bright sun room with plush chairs and yummy snacks
- Free bike rentals for guests
- Pets welcome (for a fee)
- Communal breakfast table
- Some weekends require a minimum stay
- Some low ceilings in this historic home
- Some rooms require climbing stairs
Oyster Hotel PhotosView All 8 Albums
Oyster Hotel Review
Peaceful, historic inn with modern features
The scene at Captain Jefferds Inn is a relaxed one. Rooms offer extras such as fireplaces, soaking tubs, and overstuffed chairs (features vary), and common areas are just as welcoming. The bright sun room is a great spot to kick back while nibbling on signature oatmeal cranberry cookies, and the pretty gardens are peaceful. While the inn is known for its charming historic character, amenities -- such as free Wi-Fi, iPod docks, and flat-screen TVs -- are modern. The experience here includes many delicious free treats, from a gourmet breakfast to afternoon tea.
Near Dock Square, half a block from Kennebunk River
Captain Jefferds Inn is located in a quiet, residential district a few minutes from Dock Square in Kennebunkport. Famous for being the summer home of George H.W. Bush, Kennebunkport is a quintessential Maine town full of shops, galleries, restaurants, and beautiful coastline views.
While some parts of Maine are easily accessible by public transportation, Kennebunkport is an area where you will need a car to explore. It's also a great launching point for visiting other neighboring areas including Ogunquit, known for its long stretches of sandy beaches and as Maine's biggest LGBT destination. Another option is the town of York, home to the famous Neddick Lighthouse.
City life is nearby as well, in Portland, the largest city in Maine. One of the biggest attractions there is the historic Old Port district along the harbor. For shopping, sightseeing, and dining, check out the Arts District along Congress Street.
- 35-minute drive from Portland, Maine and Airport
- 100-minute drive from Boston, Massachusetts and Airport
- 6-minute walk to downtown Kennebunkport with shops, dining, and galleries
- 5-minute drive to Mother’s Beach, Middle Beach, and Gooch’s Beach
- 25-minute drive to Old Orchard Beach, Maine
- 30-minute drive to Ogunquit, Maine
- 45-minute drive to York, Maine
Unique rooms with modern amenities
Each of the 15 rooms in Captain Jefferds Inn -- 10 in the main house and 5 in the carriage house -- are individually decorated. Some feature floral wallpaper and patterned rugs while others are more modern, with brightly painted walls and white woodwork. Both historic buildings have some rooms with lower ceilings. Amenities vary by room, and can include soaking tubs and fireplaces. All rooms have up-to-date technology: iPod docks, flat-screen TVs, and free Wi-Fi.
Cozy common space and plenty of tempting snacks
While the inn doesn't have a fitness room or spa, it does offer thoughtful touches like afternoon tea and free rental bikes. During the winter, guests tend to relax by the fireplace in the living room, while in the warm summer months, they head to the cozy sun room and beautiful gardens.
- Gourmet breakfast served at a communal table in the dining room
- Free Wi-Fi
- Afternoon tea with cookies, hors d'oeuvres, hot cider, and lemonade
- Bright sun room with cozy couches overlooking the grounds
- Computer and printer available for guest use
- Beach cruisers available for guests to explore downtown Kennebunkport
- Gift shop with signature Captain Jefferds signature souvenirs and other items
Customers Who Viewed Captain Jefferds Inn Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
This post originally appeared on Yahoo! Travel. Many see summer as the perfect time to get away with the family…