The Colony HotelKennebunkport, Maine, United States
- Scenic waterfront location in Kennebunkport
- Big heated outdoor saltwater swimming pool
- Private sandy beach steps from the hotel
- Free Wi-Fi and buffet breakfast
- Sunny front porch with wicker chairs
- Convenient poolside Marine Room Lounge
- Pets allowed, for a fee
- Family-owned property with green initiatives
Oyster Hotel Photos
Oyster Hotel Review
Grand historic hotel on the oceanfront
The large and stately Colony Hotel is a significant presence in Kennebunkport. Overlooking the ocean, this hotel is known for its well-manicured grounds and large heated saltwater pool. The lobby in the main building sets the scene, furnished in a historic New England style with lots of dark wood, rich colors, and patterned wallpaper.
Despite the historic nature of the hotel, the scene here is often dominated by families. Drawn by the saltwater heated pool and a variety of outdoor activities, families can often be seen splashing around the pool in the summer months. Dogs are also a noticeable presence at this Maine hotel.
Oceanfront location near downtown Kennebunkport
The Colony is located in a quiet residential historic district near Dock Square in Kennebunkport. The hotel offers a spectacular view overlooking the ocean and the mouth of the Kennebunk River. Famous for being the summer home for George H.W. Bush, Kennebunkport is a quaint Maine town with great shops, galleries, restaurants, and beautiful coastline views.
There are parts of Maine that are easily accessible with public transportation, but a car is necessary in order to explore Kennebunkport. The town is also a great launching point for visiting nearby towns like Ogunquit -- known for its long sandy beaches and as being Maine's biggest LGBT destination -- or York to see the famous Neddick Lighthouse.
City life is also nearby in Portland, the largest city in Maine. One of the biggest attractions is the historic Old Port district along the harbor. For food, shopping, and sightseeing check out the Arts District along Congress Street.
- 35-minute drive from Portland, Maine and Airport
- 100-minute drive from Boston, Massachusetts and Airport
- 5-minute drive from downtown Kennebunkport with shops, dining, and galleries
- 8-minute drive to Mother’s Beach, Middle Beach, and Gooch’s Beach
- 25-minute drive from Old Orchard Beach, Maine
- 25-minute drive from Ogunquit, Maine
- 30-minute drive from York, Maine
- 35-minute drive from Kittery, Maine
Rooms vary significantly -- guests can choose between ocean views or modern amenities.
Rooms at the Colony Hotel vary in decor, size, and location. In the Main Building, expect floral wallpaper, lacy curtains, and other staples of Victorian New England decor. This historic building also has some rooms and bathrooms that are on the small side, and all rooms lack air conditioning and TVs. The incredible views from the oceanfront rooms are the main reason to stay here. If TVs and air conditioning are a priority, book a room in the Galland or East House buildings -- but note that these do not offer the same ocean views.
Saltwater pool with incredible ocean views
There are many charming and historic inns along the Maine coast, but not many offer all the features found at the Colony Hotel. The best feature is the outdoor, heated saltwater pool. This huge pool overlooks the Atlantic Ocean and has significant space for many families. In addition to the pool, other notable features include the private sandy beach, a poolside restaurant, and variety of outdoor activities including an 18-hole putting green.
- Private sandy beach
- Heated saltwater pool
- Free Wi-Fi
- Poolside Marine Room Lounge
- Hotel gift shop with Maine-made gifts
- Outdoor activities include croquet, bocce, badminton, horseshoes, shuffleboard, and an 18-hole putting green
- Green hotel with waste reduction and recycling plans
Two dining choices with fresh, local seafood
Another appealing feature about the Colony is the fact that this hotel offers two dining choices. The Marine Room Lounge is located poolside and serves up specialty cocktails along with upscale pub fare and seafood dishes. The Dining Room serves three meals a day with an emphasis on New England cuisine including local, fresh seafood.
Customers Who Viewed The Colony Hotel Also Viewed
This Hotel Also Featured In
We love the quaint, homey vibe that comes with bed-and-breakfasts. And when they're located beachside, it's almost too hard to…